Planning to DIY my existing 2FT tank

Softice

Hi all,

I have few 2ft 5 plan tank laying around and decided to DIY some project up in slow process and to gather some information and research.

1. going to drill a hole and make an internal overflow to the sump below

Q1 - anyone know the material of the 5plan tank? dun think its glass.

any idea what is the best material to use to create the small corner chamber for the overflow pipe?

Q2 - What's the best size diameter to drill and piping size to plan and use ??

as i have an electric drill - no drill bits yet(waiting for advise and comment first)

Q3 - after the above solve, i will then head into the design of the sump consideration part and follow up by type of reef (might try to replicate certain zone of the ocean in this nano reef tank set up) and follow by lighting etc till fully set up.

Any advice and comment is appreciated.

Regards

Softice

Thanks BFG / Reeftask

Reason i wan to play around with the exisitng tanks is i have 3 extra 2ft tank with stand around. At same time i am also on the way planning my 5Ft long tank at the living room area where my main door entrance is (and this is gonna be a much more longer process till i figure out how to retrofit my existing cabinet and design of the tank etc). No point spending that money for a custom made nano tank for time being. i kinda itchy wanna get started thats all, while i work at the background figuring and planning for the main display tank. no offence for nano reefer (i do have a 5 gallon nano reef some 6 to 7 years ago when i am studying in oz)

anyway will try see how this gonna work out.

any recommend on the material to use for the overflow chamber? and the size for the pipe? (in and out) so i can test drill correctly. keep comment and suggest coming - all are welcome even if its critics

I will try to build step by step and have images load up as much as i can during the progress.

Regards Softice

Thanks BFG / Reeftask

Reason i wan to play around with the exisitng tanks is i have 3 extra 2ft tank with stand around. At same time i am also on the way planning my 5Ft long tank at the living room area where my main door entrance is (and this is gonna be a much more longer process till i figure out how to retrofit my existing cabinet and design of the tank etc). No point spending that money for a custom made nano tank for time being. i kinda itchy wanna get started thats all, while i work at the background figuring and planning for the main display tank. no offence for nano reefer (i do have a 5 gallon nano reef some 6 to 7 years ago when i am studying in oz)

anyway will try see how this gonna work out.

any recommend on the material to use for the overflow chamber? and the size for the pipe? (in and out) so i can test drill correctly. keep comment and suggest coming - all are welcome even if its critics

I will try to build step by step and have images load up as much as i can during the progress.

Regards Softice

• SRC Member

I think its glass. However, you can use glass. If use prospect have to be alot thicker. The pipe depends on your flow rate of return pump. Usually it recommended by pump maker. As long as you install a half time bigger size pipe than the pump output flow pipe, its OK. Please bear in mind that overflow needs more space so your hand might need to get in if anything happens. And pls becareful drilling. Glass drill bit is different and even an experienced tank maker will not have confident on not breaking. Furthermore the tiny bits of glass are dangerous.

If use prospect have to be alot thicker.

Thanks Reeftask for you quick reply

I think i will use perspect (cheaper and easier i think?? - since its for the chamber)

Perspect will be easier to score (mean cut) and manage. only things is to find the right adhesive (silicon will do?)

The pipe depends on your flow rate of return pump. Usually it recommended by pump maker.

Any idea waht the pump rate should be 2000l/h to 4000l/h ?? I have a 2000l/h laying somewhere around but gonna use that for my old skimmer.

with the right pump guess i will be able to plan on the size of out and return pipe line - got pump to suggest also welcome.

Please bear in mind that overflow needs more space so your hand might need to get in if anything happens.

thanks for the advise will take note on that and have a sketch up before i go.

And pls becareful drilling. Glass drill bit is different and even an experienced tank maker will not have confident on not breaking. Furthermore the tiny bits of glass are dangerous.

Will let the water flow through the area to keep the glass cool and the dust of the glass aswell when i drill and carefull on that. (safty first)

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

drilling on 5 plan tanik can be done, but gotta be careful since the "glass: is thin.... i use those moulding material for art and craft, make a ring of wall at the place u gonna drill, when wall up, u can pour water in it... now can drill liao... after drilling, before u sillicon add another pcs of acylic as the glass is thin, can crack easilly. i go for at least 20mm pipe for 1000l or 25mm for 2000l, go hardware store to see the pipe size and feel. ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

drilling on 5 plan tanik can be done, but gotta be careful since the "glass: is thin.... i use those moulding material for art and craft, make a ring of wall at the place u gonna drill, when wall up, u can pour water in it... now can drill liao... after drilling, before u sillicon add another pcs of acylic as the glass is thin, can crack easilly. i go for at least 20mm pipe for 1000l or 25mm for 2000l, go hardware store to see the pipe size and feel. ;)

Thanks all, that is very helpfull all of you. I just reach KL kekeke

after drilling, before u sillicon add another pcs of acylic as the glass is thin, can crack easilly.

Chinmo, what do you mean before sillicon add another pcs of acylic?

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

Thanks Reeftask for you quick reply

I think i will use perspect (cheaper and easier i think?? - since its for the chamber)

Perspect will be easier to score (mean cut) and manage. only things is to find the right adhesive (silicon will do?)

Any idea waht the pump rate should be 2000l/h to 4000l/h ?? I have a 2000l/h laying somewhere around but gonna use that for my old skimmer.

with the right pump guess i will be able to plan on the size of out and return pipe line - got pump to suggest also welcome.

thanks for the advise will take note on that and have a sketch up before i go.

Will let the water flow through the area to keep the glass cool and the dust of the glass aswell when i drill and carefull on that. (safty first)

Regards

Softice

pump size depends on you. You have to read the pump chart regarding flow out from your pump to that height of tank piping. Just add another 20-30% just to be safer. Usually minimum 6 turnover rate is OK provided you have flow pump in the main tank to assist more flow. I advise extra flow pump in the main tank because they uses less energy and more flow. You can use seio, tunze,..... on that maintank pump.

Silicon will do but advise to use dow corning brand.

Just got back from penang and KL. Here is the update of my draft in plan view.

1. i will be doing the test drill this sat on one of the 2Ft tank five plan type.

(think tank size is 2Ft x 1Ft x 1Ft)

2. need some comfirmation before doing the drilling.

3. The Red colour will be the position i am considering to drill for the DIY internal Overflow and Chamber

4. I am still considering whether to drill another hole inside or just plumb the return pipe external (space not an issue actually - just wanna keep it simple and neat - any comment?)

5. kindly give me any coment and advice if any - Thanks in advance

Oh yah, still consider 20mm for the return and 25mm for the overflow??

(maybe should have both the same size and save$$$ for other things)

Thank You

Regards

Softice

post-9-1192988107.jpg

This is not a 5 plan tank. Im confused.

is it? but the tank below put as five plan.

okie, just measured. its approximate 600mm(L) x 300mm(D) x 304mm(H)

304mm(H) is without measure the black rim thingy on top, just the glass height.

regards

softice

• SRC Member

is it? but the tank below put as five plan.

okie, just measured. its approximate 600mm(L) x 300mm(D) x 304mm(H)

304mm(H) is without measure the black rim thingy on top, just the glass height.

regards

softice

Its seems a normal tank to me. 5 plan tank shape is octagon. All of your tanks are same 2ftX1ftX1ft?

Its seems a normal tank to me. 5 plan tank shape is octagon. All of your tanks are same 2ftX1ftX1ft?

Yup just normal rectangular tank. all same 2ftX1ftX1ft.

Regards

Softice

why not use a bigger tank 2ftX1.5ftX1.5ft as more water and more stable.

Agreed with you reeftask. bigger more stable.

Just that i have 3 such tank and 2 stand laying around collecing dust.

(almost full of dust hurhurhur) The smaller it is, the more challenging and busy one will be.

i still think small tank is not for newbies - like me =p(when will i ever be free to have my own free time instead of checking this and that once this nano project up)

For the bigger tank i have created another thread on 5ft .....as this involved retrofit??? my exisiting cabinet and design etc - it gonna be much much slow

(KIV first ba)

Maybe the bottom piece is counted as 1 plane?

Thexder, five plan is the brand, five plane is the side = HEX? = 8sided?? or oct??

hurhurhur confuss liaos =p

Update : will look around these few days searching where to buy the 20mm diamond drill bits so can start work on the drilling parts this sat.

At same time wanna thanks...."shootsimon" for donating the free sand for my this project. really nice to noe all of you here. will keep update this thread as close as possible.

Regards

Softice

Hmmm...anyone can advice / suggest?

went to look for the diamond drill bits today.

Check the drill bits and pipe at the shop and found that the pipe internal is 20mm - if external measure it will be 27mm approximate. ask if there is 20mm external....then there is only 22mm.

question is, if i got the 20mm drill bits and drill a hole, its will not fit in correct? if i get the 25mm drill bits then it will loose fit correct?

any advice?

Thanks

Regards

Oki some update. (i will post up the images later when free after clean up the toilet kekekek)

The drilling is a sucess. Took about 5 to 10 min drilling with small amount water running non stop.

26mm diamond drill bits

26mm male and female connector (internal should be 25mm, will check detail and update more later)

everything fit, except i am afraid to tighten both connector(glass will break like that if too much pressure - just a thought)

When i use silicon to glue it, shall i apply both top(inside) and below(outside ) of the tank (lots of silicon) then slowly tighten it to form a silicon ring??

Shall i tighten till very tigh or i can just tighten till its just meet ???

what i mean is, if i apply lots and thick silicon and tighten like that slowly, the silicon will form ring like medium in between them correct??? thus no need to tighten so much?? (still concern of water leakage)

Apologize my poor command of english - too excited and look like tomoorow morning can go and grab other stuff to build the chamber etc.

All comment are welcome. and i will try post the photo image later after midnight.

Regards

Softice

after 10 min drill approximate with small amount of water running non stop.

I drill from the back of it - plastic then reach the glass.

apologize no picture taken during drilling time, no hand hurhruhur

post-9-1193409884.jpg