My First Marine Tank 24G

scubajazz

• SRC Member

Hi Fellow Reefers,

This is my first attempt on setting up a Marine Tank which was inspire by my office colleague who started his nano tank in the office.

The tank is running for almost 2 mths only, I did the run in period for 1 mths plus, now have added some stocks so think can post pic to have comments.

This is a Nano Cube 24G n I added a Hydro Koralia 1 wavemaker. The stocks are :-

1. 1 x Fire Dartfish (initially hv 2 and 1 Flame angel now left one)

2. 1 x Six Line Wrasse

3. 1 x Skunk Shrimp (initally got 2 but 1 got killed by my six line wrasse)

4. 1 x Mandarin Fish

5. 1 x Scooter Blenny

6. 1 x Lemonpeel Angelfish (just got it today)

7. 1 x Carberry Anthias (I think just got it today too)

8. 1 x Hammerhead

This is the first pic

post-34-1194185700.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
How are you running any skimmer ? I can't see from the pics.

Even though its tempting, I would advise not stocking at the moment as

the volume of water is rather little.

Neat setup though.

:) :)

Nope no skimmer yet, I am on the lookout for a small reliable skimmer that can fit in the nano tank compartment, got any recommendation.

Now got questions,

1) Can add a Flame Angel

2) Can Purple Tang

3) What corals can I add in to beautify it (best with vibrant color one)

Any other feedbacks and suggestion n things to take care

FYI I am using IWARNA TOp Up and distilled water.

Ans 1.) Is your tank stable enough ? as it is your 2nd month, are the water perimeters stable? Get a skimmer first. A good hang on maybe Aqua C Remova ?Be prepare to immerse the tank with food as Flame angel are shy and less confident to feed if not trained.

Ans 2.) Watch your bio-load. as it is just a 24G, with a tang in it, you need to acquire good water managment .again, check out on the skimmer first while u let your tank slowly mature.

Ans 3.) With 24G, to make it more virbrant, lively, there are many small fishes available , its a different perspective of how vibrant you want it to be. (corals are a good addition too ) but most of all, to keep it and mature it is the best . So , maybe you can read up more at the same time learnt.

FYI I am using IWARNA TOp Up and distilled water. ( If you are sure you will be doing that for the long run, why not, but if not, i think a salt mix will be necessary)

Cheers:

Edwan

• SRC Member

Thanks Edwan for replying. FYI, like you I am using the IWARNA Top UP and distilled water too, though I started the tank with tap water (left it for 2 days) n I am using Tropic Marine Salt.

The salinity is 1.023, as for other parameter have not check will be doing so this weekend when my colleague pass me his test kits.

For the skimmer, got 2 in mind after some research over here. Thinking of the Sapphire Nanoskimmer NC12 or NC24 or the Sander Maxi-Skim Protein Skimmers models 200. Anyone have any idea where to get it in SG.

Any recommendation for the type of coral that is suitable for my tank environment.

• SRC Member
Thanks Edwan for replying. FYI, like you I am using the IWARNA Top UP and distilled water too, though I started the tank with tap water (left it for 2 days) n I am using Tropic Marine Salt.

The salinity is 1.023, as for other parameter have not check will be doing so this weekend when my colleague pass me his test kits.

For the skimmer, got 2 in mind after some research over here. Thinking of the Sapphire Nanoskimmer NC12 or NC24 or the Sander Maxi-Skim Protein Skimmers models 200. Anyone have any idea where to get it in SG.

Any recommendation for the type of coral that is suitable for my tank environment.

Ya can run a red sea skimmer too.

I kept a 1.5 ft tank when i first started reefing.

Only my clown fishes last for the whole 1 yr, the rest of the fishes kept dying....

and I learned my mistake from then..... water parameter, very important.

Feed lesser. :)

• SRC Member

I've read from most reefers that it's ok, if not better to oversize one's skimmer. Hence, I would not limit my skimmer choice to the 24g Nano cube's 2nd chamber size. I would go for a more efficient HOT skimmer mounted behind the nano. Guys, pls. voice out if you feel differently. I'd like to learn more from your perspective.

Advantage of HOT skimmer in this setup:

(1) One do not need to disturb the hood to check & clean skimmate collection cup.

(2) Get to increase overall water volume by a little more.

In terms of aesthetics, a HOT is really not that bad since the opaque rear sump of the nano will block much of the view thru the tank.

For a quick fix, Reef Depot seems to be carrying the highly rated AquaC Remora.

The CPR Bak-Pak 2R+ is also a very good alternative. Anyone knows if it's available in S'pore?

Meanwhile scubajazz, I guess you'll have to perform a lot of water changes.

Cheers,

:)

• SRC Member

Hi Ah Lim,

What Red Sea Skimmer moderl u refering and how much is it?

Hi Tunicate,

Dun think want to do that hang on one, n also do not want to cut the hood to cater for it. I just change 10% water change last week (once for almost 3 mths, cause only start putting in Livestock after the 2nd mth)

I just added some new stuff today, 2 marine plant, what benefits do they give to the tank? Here is the Pics.

post-34-1194535749.jpg

• SRC Member

Here is the Front View, with the new red zoas. My star polyp is opening almost full bloom so happy with it.

By the way, I have also started 1 in the Nano Reef Title, updating both, can someone highlight which side should I post correctly do not want to do double post.

post-34-1194536035.jpg

• SRC Member

Just did some test, the result reading are :-

1) Ammonium - 0 mg/l

2) Nitrite - 0.3 mg/l

3) Nitrate - 25 mg/l

4) kh - 8 dkh

5)ph - 8.0 or 8.2 (color for these 2 almost similar dun know which to select :blink: )

How is the readings guys, feel free to feedback. Think my nitrate is on the high but acceptable end while the rest seems okay

Thanks

I've read from most reefers that it's ok, if not better to oversize one's skimmer. Hence, I would not limit my skimmer choice to the 24g Nano cube's 2nd chamber size. I would go for a more efficient HOT skimmer mounted behind the nano. Guys, pls. voice out if you feel differently. I'd like to learn more from your perspective.

Advantage of HOT skimmer in this setup:

(1) One do not need to disturb the hood to check & clean skimmate collection cup.

(2) Get to increase overall water volume by a little more.

In terms of aesthetics, a HOT is really not that bad since the opaque rear sump of the nano will block much of the view thru the tank.

For a quick fix, Reef Depot seems to be carrying the highly rated AquaC Remora.

The CPR Bak-Pak 2R+ is also a very good alternative. Anyone knows if it's available in S'pore?

Meanwhile scubajazz, I guess you'll have to perform a lot of water changes.

Cheers,

:)

Agree about the skimming.. I believe in skimming esp for small volume water tank... :) A large skimmer will go a long way, a small skimmer can onli fit this tank :)