quarantine

• SRC Member

Now I realized you are the one who came by and bought 3kg of LR today.

You had seen my quarantine tank and tangs in there. So I had explained to you too . All of these ideas are the same from everyone. We absorb the infos from internet professionals.

Most importantly, tangs must to be quarantined. If you dont do it, the risk is damn huge. You can refer and see almost every week ppl calling for help here about itch. These are the ppl who want short-cut and risk. So risk turned on them.

On other types of fish species, as I had described too that you must judge yourself that particular fish before buying.

Please get infos on the net and list down what type of fish you want to buy before buying. Most ppl ended up buying the wrong fish which later they want to get rid.

Some ppl will advise here when see different questions. But most wont reply when they see same questions again. So its best to check what you need on the net for more accuracy and direct answers.

hi reeftask

Yes, I am the one that gat the LR from you. As you know i am still at running in stage, After getting the expert idea from you I have another few question

1. The water in the quarantine tank isn't require to be circulate for another 3 week also?

2. for quarantine tank what water parameter should I be looking at?

3. I remember you said something like copper something what is the full name and where to buy.

Thanks

• SRC Member
hi reeftask

Yes, I am the one that gat the LR from you. As you know i am still at running in stage, After getting the expert idea from you I have another few question

1. The water in the quarantine tank isn't require to be circulate for another 3 week also?

2. for quarantine tank what water parameter should I be looking at?

3. I remember you said something like copper something what is the full name and where to buy.

Thanks

Answers:

1) Quarantine is best having a bare tank just with a pump. Some ppl prefer to have a skimmer but I dont see its necessary. It dont need to be cycle for so long as there is nothing there. But must ensure salt are disolved and no chlorine. Chlorine will be gone after 24 hrs in Singapore.

2) Some ppl prefers hypo salinity below 1.009. If I dose copper, I would prefer 1.019 to 1.020 which I see no point of hypo salinity which copper will do the job. Hypo salinity is hard to control on pH level and required a lot of time spent on monitoring. The best additive so far is copper. Dont mix 2 additives because some will cause chemistry imbalance when used together. One effective additive like copper should be enough.

3) You always go to that Clementi shop, just tell them copper liquid and the lady boss will hand you a bottle. But of course she expect you to pay, LOL.

Bonus answers:

4) To my experience, 2 fishes/50 liters tank is the most stable state for quarantine. You dont need to change water for 2 months. Some reefers prefer to use smaller tanks and always change water. I hate wasting time changing water and waste time on checking the new water parameters.

5) If you use copper, 31 days should be enough for the quarantine process provided, must see if the fish still has any signs of itch. I usually kiasu, quarantine for about 60 days.

6) To my experience, aeration will enhance water stability and fishes will be less stress.

7) Dont overfeed until too much food left. This will cause ammonia surge when you have no LR. Best feed 2 times/day so the fishes during quarantine stress will be more healthy to battle any further diseases. Some ppl soaked garlic to the food but there is yet no scientific proof that fishes will benefit. But kiasu is better.

8) Always maintain an extra tank at home for emergency or for other purposes. Most reefers at home has couple of tanks which is different from freshwater hobby.

9) Always read the internet on those professional websites for infos. They will benefit you more.

• SRC Member
reeftask

think you hamsome. ask aunt for copper she sell you.  :P i ask auntie she dunno anything. den i ask uncle he sell me. haizzzzzzzzzzz  :D

i got the brand from waterlife.

funny, last week I had finished my copper. went there and just ask the aunty, copper liquid and she showed me the bottle. She also taken out another big bottle.

The brand is Mardel. Seems she prefer this brand and my preference too. I think she is attracted to you, cant concentrate what you said, LOL.

• SRC Member

Hi

Another thing you might to take note is that after the copper treatment pharse is done, its good to slowing introduce your main tank water to your QT.

This is to allow your fish to get used to a "copper free" environment and slowly built its immune system again. Cos even though the fish is free of ich that doesnt mean its immune system is strong enough to fight it off if it is introduced into the main tank where ich may be present.

This was taught to me by Herny of ML.

You may want to ask him if you do not understand what i have just type

Cheers

• SRC Member

Itch is a type of parasite and not bacteria or virus. There is no immunity against it. Only some sea animals' skin are not suitable for itch to stick and that doesnt call immunity. If your main tank has itch, some of the fishes will be affected too. If there is itch in the main tank, why do you need to quarantine and let it affected by itch again. Quarantine tank with copper's purpose is to get rid of itch and preventing your main tank to be affected. You must know what is quarantine and its purpose. Did really Henry taught you all of these? :erm:

• SRC Member
reeftask go and show henry what task you can do!  :D

What can I gain, LOL. Nothing, but just will offend him. Both parties sorrow. BTW there is no proof that Henry said this. Maybe this guy misundertood what really Henry means. Maybe Henry means anti-body against bacteria infection, or maybe... lots of reasons la.

BTW, LFS usually dont do real quarantine or else they go bankrupt. After real quarantine, all cost go up too much. So who will buy such an expensive fish?

• SRC Member

Guess every people has their own way of quarantine their fishes.

I personally saw 1 LFS , dipped their newly arrived fish in copper solution in a pail, let them stay there for few minutes, then remove and just put it into partition tank.

And their fishes are really doing well. Dun ask why, haha.

The point is that, its up to us to decide which method to use.

Agruing who's right, who's wrong, would not resolve anything.

Anyway, nice info in this thread. :)

• SRC Member

dipping the fish in copper wont help. Copper only will kill the itch which had dropped off from the fish to breed. While the itch is still attached to the fish, it is protected by the fish slime. Copper also will kill those floating babies itch which are waiting to attach to a suitable host.

You will see new fishes doing well because they are new and itch is not infested heavily yet. After few weeks many generations of itch, you will see the fish result. It will frighten you. When you can see a big patch of white spot, that means its heavily infested. Thats why some ppl said a week see itch, a week see no itch. Later see itch again. It is because itch has life cycle. One of the reason why Most LFS prefer their stocks to be export is they dont need to worry about diseases and parasites. There is one LFS that I know never sell anymore tangs to local market but only export. This is the reason too.

You ought to know the cycle of the itch. You can find these infos in the internet. Thats why copper solution manufacturer will advise to quarantine with their product for 1 month. If the product can cut short to 1 dip, they will post it down everywhere and will be rich with no competitors of other kinds of solution.

This is no argument. The facts are prooven on copper solution for itch since many years ago. Only negative is the fish stress will increase. But this fish is already stress in a new environment jail. So it depends on us how to lower down the stress with other ways.

• SRC Member
Itch is a type of parasite and not bacteria or virus. There is no immunity against it. Only some sea animals' skin are not suitable for itch to stick and that doesnt call immunity. If your main tank has itch, some of the fishes will be affected too. If there is itch in the main tank, why do you need to quarantine and let it affected by itch again. Quarantine tank with copper's purpose is to get rid of itch and preventing your main tank to be affected. You must know what is quarantine and its purpose. Did really Henry taught you all of these? :erm:

urmz, i would just like to point out that, no matter how hard or how long you quarantine your tank, there will always be trace quantities of ich to be found in the main tank. its just a matter of how much. is it of an amount large enough to overwhelm a fish. we QT fishes so we do not cause a spike in the amount of ich introduced into the system. so keeping that in mind, we must also understand that ich needs a living body to multiply and multiply rapidly, and the only few living bodies available in the water that is suitable for it to do so are fishes.

some fishes are supposedly more easily "infected" because they are the ones that allows the parasites to cling on. its the same principle as leeches. leeches wun cling on to bodies dat doesnt allow them to feed on, or have imcompatable blood or strong immune systems that will "reject" or even kill them. and as u did mention to dieran green, they are parasites, not bacteria or virus.

and wat bro dieran green is also trying to say is that if your immune system is not strong enough, it doesnt matter whether the fella is free from ich and in a very weak state. immune systems in this case means how "strong and fit" dat fella is. in human context again, if he has recovred from a very heavy leech attack and is lacking in blood and has yet to recover, and then u throw the fella back into an environment where there is a possibility of him being attacked again, a small amount of leeches this time round can do the same amount of damage to his health. u get the idea. my angmoh not so good to really get the concept to you over the forum. feel free to call me if u need further queries.

anyway IMO i dun really worship wat henry says, and everything i see or believe in is wat i had experienced b4. u see my tank u know. i dun go for fancy equipment. wat is said, u need to further understand it b4 u treat it as the absolute truth. the problem with pple nowadays is that they judge too quickly b4 they really hear pple out.

:peace:

• SRC Member
urmz, i would just like to point out that, no matter how hard or how long you quarantine your tank, there will always be trace quantities of ich to be found in the main tank. its just a matter of how much. is it of an amount large enough to overwhelm a fish. we QT fishes so we do not cause a spike in the amount of ich introduced into the system. so keeping that in mind, we must also understand that ich needs a living body to multiply and multiply rapidly, and the only few living bodies available in the water that is suitable for it to do so are fishes.

some fishes are supposedly more easily "infected" because they are the ones that allows the parasites to cling on. its the same principle as leeches. leeches wun cling on to bodies dat doesnt allow them to feed on, or have imcompatable blood or strong immune systems that will "reject" or even kill them. and as u did mention to dieran green, they are parasites, not bacteria or virus.

and wat bro dieran green is also trying to say is that if your immune system is not strong enough, it doesnt matter whether the fella is free from ich and in a very weak state. immune systems in this case means how "strong and fit" dat fella is. in human context again, if he has recovred from a very heavy leech attack and is lacking in blood and has yet to recover, and then u throw the fella back into an environment where there is a possibility of him being attacked again, a small amount of leeches this time round can do the same amount of damage to his health. u get the idea. my angmoh not so good to really get the concept to you over the forum. feel free to call me if u need further queries.

anyway IMO i dun really worship wat henry says, and everything i see or believe in is wat i had experienced b4. u see my tank u know. i dun go for fancy equipment. wat is said, u need to further understand it b4 u treat it as the absolute truth. the problem with pple nowadays is that they judge too quickly b4 they really hear pple out.

I totally disagree with you.

Leeches and itch are totally different. Leeches will suck and never give up on its host until the host has no more blood. Leeches life cycle is also different. Please do not compare something that is irrelevant.

Your explaination that the main tank will always have out-break and little ich. Congratulations to you. You didnt do a good quarantine and thinks differently.

Well, thats your tank and not my tank. My tank will not have any of these problems. No need to see your tank, what for? Time to time different. About those toys, depends on ppl setup. Some ppl have money so they buy expensive ones. If you and me are stingy, but still have to respect these ppl. Some ex toys are also good toys. You just based on your own view so I wont be calling you as I dont need such infos.

I dont explain based on my experience only, but I do uptake all the informations from the professionals sites too. Please read up more before giving correct advises which I saw that you are lack of informations. Just dont tell me that you are better than these professionals. They have financial support and research labs. Furthermore they are in this as career. We just dont want to explain and explain again while someone just came in and give wrong informations. Its very tiring.

I see you as though alike a reefer, H**z* want to be a hero and overcome others advices eventhough has not much infos or even wrong infos. If you want, please come in here everyday and advise. I am very happy to let you do it. BTW I dont think giving advices here earns you a hero title.

This is one of the site for your education. You must read multiple sites till enough infos.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...&articleid=2420

Peace. I hope so.

• SRC Member

Curious, Do have you a quarantine tank?

BTW you have a FR, thats not ex toy? Lots of ppl have no such toy. I had visited few pages of your tank sites and saw you have some unsolved problems like your chaeto and corals. You can find the informations on those professional sites too.

• SRC Member

hahaha. my dear fellow reefer. i am in the midst of exams now, and before that was so overwhelmed with schoolwork i have no time to update my tank thread. reefers whom i am still chatting with will know that i plugged out my FR over half a year ago. juz a good old skimmer doing the job.

anyway i do read up on the sites too. ok so the leech idea was not a very good example. a reefer did msn me and tell me so, but he did add on too that he quite agree with wat i said. thats the best i could think of right now if i am not gonna tell you about biomedical signal processing and medical imaging, which is what i am studying right now. i mean, its just a thought and sharing session which we are having here. there is no need to get all personal. he did mention that too.

everyone has their own beliefs and thinkings about how to maintain the hobby. there are people dat run SPS tanks for years without skimmers. there are people who have everything in the world that doesnt work. and NOPE i dun QT fishes. like i did mention somewhere else in the forum, when i get fishes, i juz dump them right into the tank. QT for wat. the only belief that i always tell other people, is that fishes are just like humans. if they have a strong sense to survive they will. if they wish to die, they can be all fat and healthy and they can just wither away. had dat a few times b4. btw my tank is quite ich free. considering that i do wat i do when i get new fishes. so i always tell e people i talk to, dun listen to me, cos they way i handle my tank and LS, i have very very low casualty rates, but will have an extremely high flame rate. see its already happening! hehee

oh btw, ICH, not exactly ITCH. Ichthyophthirius is the name, and the T comes after the H. :) :)

reef onz!