Advise Needed

Reuben

I'm cycling my 4x2x2.5 for about 1.5weeks now using a dead market prawn. The 'prawn' has become a ball of translucent slimy stuff with a bit of prawn meat still visible in the centre.

I had checked my Ammonia ,Nitrite and nitrate level every 2 days but so far all 3 seems to be almost undetectable (lowest end for color code)

1)Is this normal? I cycle tank without light,chiller,or skimmer.

2)I see a small patch of sand bed turning 'light brown' with some black mouldy stuff on it. What to do? Seems to be spreading.

I have abt 4" DSB combine with a 1" bottom plenum, running a FR with Rowsphos.

• SRC Member

slimy algaes are starting to grow. Your tank is too new and I assume no LR.

you dont need to cycle with a market prawn which is a very traditional way. If you get those matured Live Rocks which are many yrs in the tank, you will need no cycle. Live rocks at least 1kg/gallon.

I have about 200kg of mature Live rocks that came with the setup.

But transport to setting up the tank took about 1 day so the rocks were out of water for about that time.

You mean matured LR so no need to cycle my tank? I thought my new 4" DSB need to cycle.

• SRC Member

Plenum setup is the use of Deep Sand Bed(DSB).Hmm try to get those LR with a lot of fauna and let the thing die in ur tank.Then you will see ammonia start to rise.Tried mine until i have bacteria then go down and see nitrites went up.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

If you kiasu, have plenum and LR setup together. Advisable to do so.

Ya.But then there is a very good advantage when using LR and DSB.Firstly you got a lot of pods growing at ur LR and refugium.

Secondly the DSB and LR will help to lower nitrates and the macro algae growing on the plenum absorb po4 and nitrates too.

Lastly you can have more LS inside.

girlone.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
may i koe when the dead market prawn is use to start the cycling....then when(for how long?) have to take out the prawn from the tank?

In Reuben case, live rocks are dead so he has to start cycling for a few months. no point adding prawn and this is the traditional way which no longer used. The dead things in his Rock will be acting more than your prawn.

Everyone's case are different, depending on setup, things done, things in the tank, live rock status,......

If your Live rocks OK, just put one fish after 2-3 weeks cycling. Introduce slowly, one after few weeks.

In Reuben case, live rocks are dead so he has to start cycling for a few months. no point adding prawn and this is the traditional way which no longer used. The dead things in his Rock will be acting more than your prawn.

Everyone's case are different, depending on setup, things done, things in the tank, live rock status,......

If your Live rocks OK, just put one fish after 2-3 weeks cycling. Introduce slowly, one after few weeks.

may i koe when the dead market prawn is use to start the cycling....then when(for how long?) have to take out the prawn from the tank?