Whitefish 24g Nano Cube Story

lweepin

My Nano tank just passed its 1 month mark (also marked my 1 month into this hobby) I must admit that I have been not very patient and added LS a bit too fast.

Anyway, I am doing a 1 full review for my I have attached the latest tank photo and LS list below. I have added a KIA list to remind myself and hope to learn from mistakes.

Water Parameters

NH3 : 0 ppm

NO2: 0.03 ppm? (Salfeit damm hard to read...any easier brand or not?)

NO3: 10 ppm

pH: 8.2

KH: 9

Calcium 420 ppm

PO4: 0 ppm

I am not satisifed with my NO3 level and have been reading around in this forum to figure out how to reduce it.

Besides changing water, I did not find any solutions that is suitable for my Nano (either too expensive or have to add external equipment outside my tank)

Description of stuff in my tank now

Corals

1 x green star polyp (Great)

1 x Cauliflower finger (Not good (not extending))

1 x leather sponge mushroom (Great..polyps extending)

2 x Zoanthus (Great)

Fish

1 x Pajama Cardinal (Great)

1 x yellow tail damsel (Great)

1 x green wrasse (good)

2 x False Percula Clownfishs (2 days old but still swimmming very fast in tank??)

Cleaning crew

2 x skunk shrimps (Great, molted 1 time already)

3 x blue knuckle hermit crap (Good)

1 x zebra serpent star (Very Active & working very hard)

KIA

2 x False Percula (Died within 3 days & do not know why)

1 x green wrassel (Removed due to fighting between wrassle)

1 x blue knuckle hermit crap (Died after 2 weeks without any obvious cause)

Want list in the very short term

1 x bubble coral

1 x torch coral

1 x yuma coral

1 x brain coral

So far my favorite coral shop is Coral farm (Cheap and nearer to my place) However, they do not have the above corals. Need to travel down to Pasir Ris soon (damm far even though I drive)

Any comments or advices are welomed

post-13774-1199064706_thumb.jpg

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Fishs : 1x Cardinalfish, 2 x false Percula Clownfish

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Tank Thread : [url=http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83257]

• SRC Member

Hi Bro

1. I second to your comment on Coral farm. I love to buy fishes from them too as they do great quanlatine before display to sell.

2. There are many reefer like yourself and me are staying in the West. We could gather and go down Pasir Ris in a single car. We can take turn to pick each other.

3. As for your Nitrate issue, you can use products like Nitrate lock from Pura (brand). Read about this and find its quite good. I am going to test this product shortly once its available in Marine Life. Not many LFS carry Pura product as I am aware. I will be tryinh PetMart this noon if they have.

Here's the link http://www.aquariumfiltration.us/p_n.html.

Other reefers that have tried this product, appreciate could PM me on your review. :thanks:

You water parameters is so much better then what I have. Great job, keep up the good work.

• SRC Member

Bro,

For me I always thaw the mysis shrimp and rinse them up advise by a LFS, then put it in a container and pour in the Garlic Guard and leave it for 15 to 20 min and put back to the refrigerator. Every time when need to feed will thaw it first and feed it with a toothpick, a little at a time until my fish stop eating to minimise uneaten food in the tank anyway my 2 skunk shrimp will clear it up, they are super active when come to feeding time.

Thanks for the advice.

Yep. Now my green wrasse did eat the pellets. However, 50% of the time, he is in the sand. Thus I have to time my feeding time. However, my 2 wrasse fight each other so badly that I have to remove one. Luckily, so far it lived peacefully with my yellow tailed damsel and 2 new clownfish.

Last week, i tried to feed 1 cube of frozen mysis. Once, I put it in, the water circulation make it dispersed all over the tank. It looked very messy, I don't know whether this is normal or not. However, I will try not to feed with this stuff too often because I got a feeling that it will increase my bio-load.

I have added a KIA list to remind myself and hope to learn from mistakes.

KIA

2 x False Percula (Died within 3 days & do not know why)

1 x green wrassel (Removed due to fighting between wrassle)

1 x blue knuckle hermit crap (Died after 2 weeks without any obvious cause)

It's nice for you to keep reminding yourself about it but LS sometimes die due to reasons beside poor tank parameters nor mistakes, many cannot be controlled by reefers. Do not take it as a discouragement... instead as motivation to learn and understand more about marine life :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Bro,

For me I always thaw the mysis shrimp and rinse them up advise by a LFS, then put it in a container and pour in the Garlic Guard and leave it for 15 to 20 min and put back to the refrigerator. Every time when need to feed will thaw it first and feed it with a toothpick, a little at a time until my fish stop eating to minimise uneaten food in the tank anyway my 2 skunk shrimp will clear it up, they are super active when come to feeding time.

Personally I will discard any unfinished food from the container... putting it back into the fridge/freezer might introduce bacterias/pathogens... something common in most of our fridges (especially the meat compartment). Refreezing/re-thawing of food will also result in loss of nutrition.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I went down Iwarna on Monday. Initially, want to get myself some rics. but there are really too expensive for beginners like me. Thus no rics for my tanks.

Got myself a green bubble coral because I like the unique shape of the stone that comes with it.

Saw a coral that looked rather nice with flowers that glow green. Ask the auntie and she say that it is a jewel that is quite hardy(maybe for experienced reefer??) Thus I bought it even though I did not know much about it.

To my dismay, i realised that it is a goniopora when I ID it with my coral book. The book mentioned that is not easy in captive aquarium.

I have made another beginner mistake. It is really hard to ID corals at LFS. Any tips? :eyebrow:

Hope that it can survive at least 6 months

post-13774-1199234307_thumb.jpgpost-13774-1199234351_thumb.jpg post-13774-1199234390_thumb.jpg

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Got myself a green bubble coral because I like the unique shape of the stone that comes with it.

Good choice of colour but personally I find you exposing the ugly part (the base) to the frontal view... try to shift it a bit... but if the coral is looking stressful already, then just leave it for the time being.

Saw a coral that looked rather nice with flowers that glow green. Ask the auntie and she say that it is a jewel that is quite hardy(maybe for experienced reefer??) Thus I bought it even though I did not know much about it.

To my dismay, i realised that it is a goniopora when I ID it with my coral book. The book mentioned that is not easy in captive aquarium.

Yeah a lot of reefers (even LFS) find it difficult to differentiate the two... don't worry... this piece looks quite alright. Try adding a bit of coral food into the tank (not excessively).

I have made another beginner mistake. It is really hard to ID corals at LFS. Any tips? :eyebrow:

Do you drive? I always bring along 1 or 2 books whenever I go LFS shopping, before buying, run to my car and do an ID. If you have mobile internet connection, can even bring your laptop along :)

Not to discourage you... but I got a feeling the Cauliflower will not be able to last for 6 months as it is one of the most difficult softies around... try adding a bit of coral food (for filter feeders)... but don't overdo it as your system might not be able to cope with the extra nutrients.

All the best :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

U got a bubble which does not seem to be doing too well with all the teeth exposed. Star Polyps (GSP) is quite sensitive to water conditions, would need good conditions before they will all open up.

As for Zoos and the leather coral U have behind, they are quite hardy and should do quite well in ok waters.

• SRC Member
I went down Iwarna on Monday. Initially, want to get myself some rics. but there are really too expensive for beginners like me. Thus no rics for my tanks.

post-13774-1199234307_thumb.jpgpost-13774-1199234351_thumb.jpg post-13774-1199234390_thumb.jpg

Your bubble look sick.Green bubbles i tried a lot of time won't last long if nutrients are high and not enough lighting they tend to turn brown.I had a lot of cases of green bubble turn brown and die.Now my brown one is expanding and grown much bigger than i bought at Golden Octopus 2 months ago.

Good choice of colour but personally I find you exposing the ugly part (the base) to the frontal view... try to shift it a bit... but if the coral is looking stressful already, then just leave it for the time being.

Yeah a lot of reefers (even LFS) find it difficult to differentiate the two... don't worry... this piece looks quite alright. Try adding a bit of coral food into the tank (not excessively).

Do you drive? I always bring along 1 or 2 books whenever I go LFS shopping, before buying, run to my car and do an ID. If you have mobile internet connection, can even bring your laptop along :)

Not to discourage you... but I got a feeling the Cauliflower will not be able to last for 6 months as it is one of the most difficult softies around... try adding a bit of coral food (for filter feeders)... but don't overdo it as your system might not be able to cope with the extra nutrients.

All the best :rolleyes:

How is ur bubble now???I heard gonios like water wif moderate nutrients.You got a nice speciemen over there.

girlone.png

Your bubble look sick.Green bubbles i tried a lot of time won't last long if nutrients are high and not enough lighting they tend to turn brown.I had a lot of cases of green bubble turn brown and die.Now my brown one is expanding and grown much bigger than i bought at Golden Octopus 2 months ago.

How is ur bubble now???I heard gonios like water wif moderate nutrients.You got a nice speciemen over there.

When I took the photograph of the bubble, it was only 1 day after I placed it in my tank. In the first place, I don't think it is perfectly healthy when I bought it (given a good discount for it). After the car trip from the East to the West and rolling on the car mat, the coral looked dead (no colours and no bubbles) when I open the bag. I thought that I have helped to make the coral up the lorry.

However, it didn't die and am improving by the day. I will show a photo again in the near future and I may change the position a bit to make it look better. I hope the coral can survive because I really like the green colour rather than the white one.

Thanks everyone for your comments

WhiteFish

Don't worry so much... Bubbles are pretty hardy :)

• SRC Member

Bubble corals also dun like high lighting intensity.I had this bubble when i place it to face the light it won't open up big but when shift to original position open up more than adult palm size.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

Bro Whitefish,

An advise to you, if you drive n buy marine livestock, advisable for you to have a styrofoam box to hold the stuff as the plastic bag has seawater which is highly corrosive to our car, u dun want ur car to corrode right. Just need to be careful in case the plastic bag leak. :unsure:

When I took the photograph of the bubble, it was only 1 day after I placed it in my tank. In the first place, I don't think it is perfectly healthy when I bought it (given a good discount for it). After the car trip from the East to the West and rolling on the car mat, the coral looked dead (no colours and no bubbles) when I open the bag. I thought that I have helped to make the coral up the lorry.

However, it didn't die and am improving by the day. I will show a photo again in the near future and I may change the position a bit to make it look better. I hope the coral can survive because I really like the green colour rather than the white one.

Thanks everyone for your comments

This is the 5th Week of my tank. Not been a very good week

I removed my Cauliflower because it seemed to be dying.

My green wrassel was bullying my clownfish and the poor guy always stay at one corner when he is around.

The fish is too smart and it was impossible to try to catch it.

My wife cannot stand the bullying and issue an imperial eddict to remove the wrassle at 11pm last night.

I have not choice but remove my LS in order to catch it. You can imagine the pain of doing re-scaping in the middle of the night.

I still remember the advice given to me by the LFS when I just start out a month agao..."there are no secrets or advise to be successful...you have to learn through mistakes..." Buying this wrassle was my greatest mistake so far and I really hope I learnt from it.

I actually quite fond of the previous landscape but i soon realized that I cannot put it back the same way it was, no matter how hard I try. It was worse than doing a puzzle.

I think my Nitrate level increased from 10 to 20 ppm because of this rescaping exercise, I have to disturb all my other Fishes and Corals. I hoped that they don't get affected by this event. The positive thing is that my clownfish seemed to have recovered of the bullying experience.

Attached is the pictures before and after the landscape. Maybe you can comment on which one you prefer?.... :eyebrow:

post-13774-1199628839_thumb.jpg post-13774-1199628923_thumb.jpg

WhiteFish

• SRC Member

Wah ur bubble have improved.Bubble coral dun grow horizontally it is best to put them vertically.

girlone.png

Yeah Green Wrasse is a real annoyance... especially with shrimps :(

I prefer your previous scaping more as it looks more stable and balance :D And your bubble is definitely looking much better... good job :)

This week I have addded the following LS:

1) 1 x Moon Coral (Brain)

2) 1 x Zoa

3) 1 x Leather finger

4) 1 x Mushroom Frag

5) 2 x Algae Snail

I realized that my tank is almost full. My 2 caves design make is harder to put more corals.

I hope to get 1 torch coral or samll prata and 1 more zoa frag(eagle eye) Any bro out here want to sell one to me? :eyebrow:

So far, except for Goniopora(at $15), all LS are bought at below $10. This is truly a "poor man" Tank :rolleyes:

Maybe I should buy something more expensive.

After water changes and controlling my feeding, my nitrate have dropped back to 10 ppm.

My alkanity seem to be dropping slightly back to 7 even though I am regularly adding Aqupharm Part A&B.

Can everyone tell me what is the reason for this? I am thinking of dosing more Part B.

My bubbles are really doing well. Every much improved from the condition when I bought from LFS.

All corals except my green zoa are doing really well. My clownfish is happy again after the bully is removed

Some of the polyps of my green zoa is not extending. Is there something wrong with it?

post-13774-1200274702.jpgpost-13774-1200274875.jpg

post-13774-1200274896.jpg

WhiteFish

It's a great feeling when the tank is finally stocked... but do proceed cautiously as any more additions (be it fish, inverts or corals) will be treated as excess burden to the biotope. I would to hold on to your existing bioload for the time being, with the exception of adding something RED for CNY :rolleyes:

It's not normal for large quantity of Zoanthid polyps not opening up... 2 possible reasons IMO:

1) Your clownies are disturbing them by brushing their bodies against the polyps.

2) You are experiencing Nudis attack!!! Which is pretty common for your kinda zoas. My advice is, to look for hairy little beige/white creatures among the polyps... usually you will be able to spot 1 or 2 stuck onto the glass panel in the early hours. It's good for you to check it through before introducing more Zoas into your tank.

All the best bro!

Another thing... seems like your tank is experiencing some algae bloom too (comparing yesterday's pix with 6 Jan)... I will suggest water tests and change of water... find out the reason for the outbreak... it could simply a sign that you have exceeded the threshold :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

How many hours of lighting are you providing your corals? Any change in duration between now and last week?

This week I have addded the following LS:

1) 1 x Moon Coral (Brain)

2) 1 x Zoa

3) 1 x Leather finger

4) 1 x Mushroom Frag

5) 2 x Algae Snail

I realized that my tank is almost full. My 2 caves design make is harder to put more corals.

I hope to get 1 torch coral or samll prata and 1 more zoa frag(eagle eye) Any bro out here want to sell one to me? :eyebrow:

So far, except for Goniopora(at $15), all LS are bought at below $10. This is truly a "poor man" Tank :rolleyes:

Maybe I should buy something more expensive.

After water changes and controlling my feeding, my nitrate have dropped back to 10 ppm.

My alkanity seem to be dropping slightly back to 7 even though I am regularly adding Aqupharm Part A&B.

Can everyone tell me what is the reason for this? I am thinking of dosing more Part B.

My bubbles are really doing well. Every much improved from the condition when I bought from LFS.

All corals except my green zoa are doing really well. My clownfish is happy again after the bully is removed

Some of the polyps of my green zoa is not extending. Is there something wrong with it?

post-13774-1200274702.jpgpost-13774-1200274875.jpg

post-13774-1200274896.jpg

Another thing... seems like your tank is experiencing some algae bloom too (comparing yesterday's pix with 6 Jan)... I will suggest water tests and change of water... find out the reason for the outbreak... it could simply a sign that you have exceeded the threshold :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

How many hours of lighting are you providing your corals? Any change in duration between now and last week?

Jervismun,

you really have sharp eyes.

For the algae, it has already started in the 4th weeks. It think it become more obvious now.

But the increase has been very gradual since the 4th week.

I also see another type of algae (with white flowers at tips) in some parts of the tank. See picture below

Can you help ID this? Thanks

Initially for the first 3 weeks, I on the light for about 5 hours. When I bought more corals, I increased it to about 7 hrs. Is it too much? How to determine what is the correct amount of lighting. I am testing my water every week with 20% water change and have not spot any irregularities in water parameters.

Thanks again your feedback. I have learnt a lot from you and your thread.

post-13774-1200356447.jpg

WhiteFish

It's a great feeling when the tank is finally stocked... but do proceed cautiously as any more additions (be it fish, inverts or corals) will be treated as excess burden to the biotope. I would to hold on to your existing bioload for the time being, with the exception of adding something RED for CNY :rolleyes:

It's not normal for large quantity of Zoanthid polyps not opening up... 2 possible reasons IMO:

1) Your clownies are disturbing them by brushing their bodies against the polyps.

2) You are experiencing Nudis attack!!! Which is pretty common for your kinda zoas. My advice is, to look for hairy little beige/white creatures among the polyps... usually you will be able to spot 1 or 2 stuck onto the glass panel in the early hours. It's good for you to check it through before introducing more Zoas into your tank.

All the best bro!

In the past, my hermit crab will disturb my green zoa by climbing on it.

I will check out the Nudis. So far I cannot spot anything but maybe I do not know how to look...do the hairy creatures move. Any cure?

At the moment, only 50% of the polyps are opened for that particular green zoanthid. will monitor for 1 more week and decide what to do with it. Thanks

WhiteFish