brownish on sand surface

UFO

• SRC Member

hi everyone,

my 4ft is 3mth old with 6' zero size sand bed. using 2 x 36w 10k PL light. pass few days surface of my sand bed stat=rted turning brown. i think it's some kind of algae, is that rite? i read that this is normal & it's part of the process of tank maturing. izzit correct??? sud i do anything b4 it become worse or just leave it alone? thks for any adv.

mine worse. starting to have red algae le. :eyebrow:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
it is normal n part of yr tank maturing process.Leav them alone n dun try to stir them coz it will get worse n pollute yr tank. <_<

shit...! i just point my PH towards the sand last sat. no wonder now worse. arrrrh.............!

hi everyone,

my 4ft is 3mth old with 6' zero size sand bed. using 2 x 36w 10k PL light. pass few days surface of my sand bed stat=rted turning brown. i think it's some kind of algae, is that rite? i read that this is normal & it's part of the process of tank maturing. izzit correct??? sud i do anything b4 it become worse or just leave it alone? thks for any adv.

Any pic??/ It should be diatom, IMo run phrosphate remover to get rid of those pesky algae and also try to upgrade your skimmer......

• SRC Member

diatom our cyno - both are normal for a 3 month old tank.

Make sure you have enough water circulation and your Phos and NO3 are low to prevent other algae from growing out of this one.

You will see it will go once the food source is gone (diatom - silicate e.g. from your aquarium glass).

• SRC Member

hi all,

thks for the adv.

i'm using rowaphos & weipro 2012 skimmer. return pump from sump is 1x2500l/h & 1x5500l/h. also add 1x1600l/h PH in the main tank.

so it is normal to have this for a 3 mth old & i sud not disturb it, rite??

will try to take a pic when i borrow a digicam.

thks.