Water turns milky

Aspire

Hi guys

A few days ago, I bought a coral, green in colour that looks like grapes from one of the LFS. The shop owner said it's hard coral very easy to maintain only need some currents and bit of lighting to survive. <_<

Things went on ok.. until today, my dad said that thing starts to spit liquid out.. and my whole tank turns really milky.

Can any one u help me ID this coral? Is it dying? It doesn't smell at this moment.. I have already remove it out of my tank right now. :erm:

• SRC Member
<_< shouldn't have trust that lfs owner.

Now the water in my turn really milky.. will it effect my other coral? I've check my ammoina level still zero.. dun think there is an ammonia spike..

mayb u can post the pix

• SRC Member
:( sadly, I dun have digital camera with me rite now. I was so afraid it will crash my tank so I took it out already..

It look jus like a big bunch of small little green grapes.. are the things that it produce be harmful??

pm u a website for u to identify it......

• SRC Member

What I would do:

You should increase the air to your tank. Add an air pump with bubble stone just to make sure it is not a bacteria outbreak (most of them will reduce the O2 in your tank until your fish are dead).

If it is only the algae, make sure your skimmer is running 100% as it will collect a lot of algae "juice" in the next days :lol: Stronger aeration is still not a bad idea though !

it was my first caulerpa algae 2 years back when i started this hobby....very pretty to look at....but a few weeks later it turned whitish and you know for sure you have to take them out because when you touch ...it melts in your hands whereas initially the grapes were hard....

many reasons, lighting factors, nutrient levels..iron levels....this is a very finicky algae....stay clear from it..the other one is one that looks like fern leaves....also prone to melt..hehe

• SRC Member

Think u must be having this grape caulerpa macroalgae.

If you don't intend to turn on your light 24/7, then dont bother to put it back. It will turn assexual even if u just turn off light for just 1 hour.

post-6-1069128950.jpg

Tank 4x2x2.5

If you don't intend to turn on your light 24/7, then dont bother to put it back. It will turn assexual even if u just turn off light for just 1 hour.

yup yup.. that's the one.. thanx chrislwp..

But I still dun understand the word assexual.. Dun mind explain to me?? :thanks:

You don't need to turn on the lights for 24/7 for it to survive.

I have them in my tank......they are not too diffcuilt to keep....keep them trimmed or they over run the tank.

Something is wrong with your water if you keep having this problem

You don't need to turn on the lights for 24/7 for it to survive.

I have them in my tank......they are not too diffcuilt to keep....keep them trimmed or they over run the tank.

Something is wrong with your water if you keep having this problem

Trimmed?? :blink: wat do u mean by trimmed?? I did notice that it starts to grow bit of like green hair out.. am I supposed to trimmed it off?? DO they need any supplement??

Trimmed I mean pull off and throw away the excess, these caulerpa grow very fast.

If you let them grow till it cover the whole tank...chances of the whole colony crashing is very high

These algae are supposed to use the nutrient in the water so supplement is required.

• SRC Member

Asexual... a method of propagating themselves...

Sexual means you need a female/male pair in order to propagate. Like sperm and egg. Asexual means you don't need sperm and egg

to have siblings.

Reason for algae going asexual because it thinks it is dying and better gave off offsprings before it is too late. :rolleyes:

Prune & Trim your algae always.