alternative algae for refugium other than chaeto ?

tivoli

This is a rare observation! I never knew Chaeto to be vulnerable to certain soft corals... it has always been indestructible for me!

How large a mass was it after 2 years?

HI AT,

I thot it was indestructable too until it starts disappearing.

I lost 2 ft tank worth of chaeto within a 4 weeks period after i bought in sea fans, large xenia and large gorgorians.

Thats why i suspect it was chemical warfare.

Plus I have 2 skimmer one h&s and 1 schuran running.

• SRC Member

Had the same problem after 3 weeks of installing my H&S skimmer. My chaetos lost its intense green colour at first then turn brownish. I believe the skimmer is doing its job well in reducing nitrates thus depriving the chaetos. It's not any warfare with your corals whatsoever but both your chaetos and skimmer fighting for nutrients.Any other alternative caulerpa also won't do cos your skimmer is very efficient. Its a case of u need one then u have to lose another.

My humble opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Had the same problem after 3 weeks of installing my H&S skimmer. My chaetos lost its intense green colour at first then turn brownish. I believe the skimmer is doing its job well in reducing nitrates thus depriving the chaetos. It's not any warfare with your corals whatsoever but both your chaetos and skimmer fighting for nutrients.Any other alternative caulerpa also won't do cos your skimmer is very efficient. Its a case of u need one then u have to lose another.

My humble opinion.

Would this mean that placing the cheato compartment before the skimmer compartment may help sustain it or would not running the skimmer 7x24 help out?

• SRC Member

I'm not sure I can answer your question cos I don't know what skimmer u using. As for the threadstarter, he has one already powerful H&S Skimmer plus another Schuran skimmer running at the same time. Of cos all these three medium are competing with each other to control the nutrients. I think it doesn't matter in which sequence you set up your chaetos and skimmer cos the water keeps cycling towards the media and back again.

Would this mean that placing the cheato compartment before the skimmer compartment may help sustain it or would not running the skimmer 7x24 help out?

• 2 weeks later...
I lost 2 ft tank worth of chaeto within a 4 weeks period after i bought in sea fans, large xenia and large gorgorians.

I believe your chaeto is dying from starvation.

xenia is capable of absorbing nutrients as well as chaeto (under proper condition). You mention large xenia, I supposed it's a competition for nutrients now and the chaeto is losing it.

The link has some charts comparing the nutrient intake rate between xenia, skimmer and macro algae.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/...ature/index.php

just my 0.02