shrimp like creatures...help!

Hi

Just set up my tank and for the first few weeks while running water with LRs only,nothing usual found except a few crabs and snails.

But after putting in a few hermit crabs and 2 cheap anthias,after a few days I found something very small which looks like shrimps which are in transparent white in colour.

There's abt 20 of them floating on top of water...Any idea what are those??...will post a pic tonite...

Don't worry about these. They will end up as food for your fishes. They are probably the hatched spawn of the hermit crabs or sudden hidden crustaceans in your tank.

• SRC Member

Think I know what you mean. I have tons in mine. Only appear at night. Dun seem to be fishfood. No harm but quite disgusting when u see alot.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Hi,

You said shrimp-like creatures. Does it look like mantis shrimp? You can try googling "Mantis Shrimp" pictures for a better view.

Cheers,

bgrking

He mentioned floating on top.. Mantis do not float.. I have the same in mine.. they seem to come in many.. if you have a dead spot at the surface, at certain times of the day, you'll see them float on top. And they seem pretty dead if you see them in the day. At night, you'll see all running around live rocks.. I have quite a lot in mine.. They just do not seem to be fish food to any critters.. I've recently added a pair of Mandarin.. hopefully they can control it. But then again, I thought mandarin only eat pods..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
He mentioned floating on top.. Mantis do not float.. I have the same in mine.. they seem to come in many.. if you have a dead spot at the surface, at certain times of the day, you'll see them float on top. And they seem pretty dead if you see them in the day. At night, you'll see all running around live rocks.. I have quite a lot in mine.. They just do not seem to be fish food to any critters.. I've recently added a pair of Mandarin.. hopefully they can control it. But then again, I thought mandarin only eat pods..

Awesome...