A new beginning

Rate this topic

i think they do help by saving some effort by pushing it and reduce some nasty scratch marks on ur flooring! lucky u place it before hand. smart. i did too :lol:

leng kee road, some of the reefers works there as well.

alrite mate, just pm ur number to me and see how things goes.

I wish i can claim credit for this, but quite frankly, this idea came from a friend of mine, who helped me 'transported' the tank from Jurong West all the way back to Bedok. Best of all, he does not even keep marine fish.

Let's hope this does help during the upcoming shifting.

Guess simple tips like this will help a lot of reefers in future... that's what this forum is for!

btw, you've got PM.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

Again, as dynamic as life... i've decided not to be impulsive and shift the tank today.

Guess i should plan for it better before i do it... (e.g. prepare water change at the same time, cultivate spare LR for bacteria... etc etc... thanks to the many reefers for their advice).

So, for now, just a little update to my little reef.

The growth of my RBTA...

Since moving out of the cave, it's now slowly opening up. Nowadays can see the bubble in the red bubble tip... :)

post-13920-1206766200.jpg

A small frag of my pink zoas now standing in the middle of the area, just behind the blue/green crocea (just to show contrasting colours).

post-13920-1206766187.jpg

Ooooo... bright new mushies with 2 new rics (one peach, one pink)

post-13920-1206766164.jpg

My new purchase last night...

Is this a torch or octo? Apparently it has like purple tentacles with pink/orange tip.

post-13920-1206766176.jpg

After selling off the lobo (sigh...), this is what the FTS looks like now... hopefully the mushies and zoas populate fast...

FTS 080329

post-13920-1206766211.jpg

Comments and Criticisms are welcomed...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

purp tenacles plus orange tip will certainly be very attention grabbing! :)

i certainly hope it'll start opening in full glory soon. :)

currently, the pink + orange tips are not exactly lighting in luminous....

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Those r frogspawns. Btw u can still move ur tank without needing to change much water what who say need to cultivate new bacteria? Just get a few clean pails syphon the water out save one side later finish moving tank can pour/pump back. Or u can borrow a big barrel first. Your current LRs n livesand got enuf bacteria n organisms inside to sustain the changes u making dont worry its not as if u baking them under the sun til they dry up. What u should perhaps be worrying more is where to keep all your livestock while u r moving the tank, want to move tank still buy so many corals .... cannot tarhun sibo hehe?

Those r frogspawns. Btw u can still move ur tank without needing to change much water what who say need to cultivate new bacteria? Just get a few clean pails syphon the water out save one side later finish moving tank can pour/pump back. Or u can borrow a big barrel first. Your current LRs n livesand got enuf bacteria n organisms inside to sustain the changes u making dont worry its not as if u baking them under the sun til they dry up. What u should perhaps be worrying more is where to keep all your livestock while u r moving the tank, want to move tank still buy so many corals .... cannot tarhun sibo hehe?

Is it frogspawns?? Frogspwans have 'multiple' heads extending from each tentacle... mine is 1 head per polyp leh. (Is it differentiated this way ah?)

Should be a torch, according to liveaquaria.com...

Or have i been misled??? Hahaha...

Storage for LS is no problem, i got a big tub (just bought, about 80litres). Corals + fish sure okie.

Problem is, water how? Store where? hahaha... Total tank volume of 300l (main+sump)... dunno how sia.

So, once water comes out, it's a lot easier liao. (Think should be able to shift the tank with the LR + a bit of water).

See how lah... this weekend too late to do any shifting liao. Will try again next week. Slowly move the corals out bit by bit.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

The 300L figure u calculated is just based on total volume filled for empty tanks i presume, actual volume is lesser when u minus out the mass taken up by corals/sand and rocks. I'd say actual figure is bout 230L. So since u into using water bought from LFS u'd only need to save 50%-60% of the current old water n add the 80L u bot then top off the difference with DI water or tap water. Barrel go industrial area can buy easily after use can convert into auto top up also if u want. Or u can just buy 4 big red pails which should be much cheaper.

I wouldnt advise moving a half filled tank, swaying momentum of the water while moving might sway the silicon joints to give way.

The 300L figure u calculated is just based on total volume filled for empty tanks i presume, actual volume is lesser when u minus out the mass taken up by corals/sand and rocks. I'd say actual figure is bout 230L. So since u into using water bought from LFS u'd only need to save 50%-60% of the current old water n add the 80L u bot then top off the difference with DI water or tap water. Barrel go industrial area can buy easily after use can convert into auto top up also if u want. Or u can just buy 4 big red pails which should be much cheaper.

I wouldnt advise moving a half filled tank, swaying momentum of the water while moving might sway the silicon joints to give way.

Bro, you're right man! the total volume is definitely less than 300. Coz got rocks + the tank is not filled to the brim!

In anycase, i'll definitely be shifting the tank. My spare LRs are now cycling in tub liao. 3 nice pieces... 2 nice flat pieces plus 1 long bar...

post-13920-1206819021.jpg

Bro, ask you ah...

I need to make some 'racks' out of eggcrags + pvc pipes. (yeah, trying to DIY something, haha).

Something like this:

post-13920-1206819262.jpg

Do you know where to get the eggcrates + pvc pipe(with cutter) + connectors (cheap cheap ones).

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Eggcrates can get from Aquastar or this place http://www.dama.com.sg/home.htm but i dunno cheap or not compared to Aquastar at Yishun, u will need lots of cabletie also plus a drill/drillbit to drill rocks as some oddly shaped rocks if u just put on top of the crate formation wont blend in. Try to get black eggcrates btw, hides the fact u using them. And also u really need some flow below the crates so that the bottom doesnt collect debris n become a nitrated area. A small pump like a maxijet 800 or 1000 would do the trick.

Pvc pipe cutter can buy from most hardware shops or u can borrow from me, doesnt cost much to buy though about 8-12 bucks depending on brand n size. Pvc pipes/joints u can try at the AMK industrial park, i bot cutter/pvc stuff all from there last time. Most are wholesalers but they will sell to u provided u know what sizes/shapes u need for the pvc, dont forget pvc glue too. Oh yah u will also need a saw to cut thru the crates to the shape u want. I used a makita electrical saw to do a eggcrate filtersock holder a few days back. U can borrow from me too if u need.

Eggcrates can get from Aquastar or this place http://www.dama.com.sg/home.htm but i dunno cheap or not compared to Aquastar at Yishun, u will need lots of cabletie also plus a drill/drillbit to drill rocks as some oddly shaped rocks if u just put on top of the crate formation wont blend in. Try to get black eggcrates btw, hides the fact u using them. And also u really need some flow below the crates so that the bottom doesnt collect debris n become a nitrated area. A small pump like a maxijet 800 or 1000 would do the trick.

Pvc pipe cutter can buy from most hardware shops or u can borrow from me, doesnt cost much to buy though about 8-12 bucks depending on brand n size. Pvc pipes/joints u can try at the AMK industrial park, i bot cutter/pvc stuff all from there last time. Most are wholesalers but they will sell to u provided u know what sizes/shapes u need for the pvc, dont forget pvc glue too. Oh yah u will also need a saw to cut thru the crates to the shape u want. I used a makita electrical saw to do a eggcrate filtersock holder a few days back. U can borrow from me too if u need.

Ah... aquastar, i know where that is!

But really got black egg crates ah? I've never seen b4... dun later i go and ask kena laffed by ppl ah. hahaha...

Cable ties i got, should be enough.

As i'm not buying alot, guess i'll just buy from the normal hardware shops lah...

For the eggcrate, i think can use normal pliers to cut thru. (i cut this before).

You everything tool/equipment also have one ah? Is there something you don't have? haha...

Anyway, i pai sei to trouble u ah, (coz a bit far leh, woodlands), so, most prob, i'll jsut get from around my place.

Thanks a lot bro!

Hopefully with a better plan, i can finish the shifting + rescaping all within 1 day. (So, tentatively, next saturday will be The Day!)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

u dont need to do everything in a day lah like that diekokstand plus ur livestock will be stressed like siao waiting a whole day b4 u put them back into maintank n dont forget the fish somemore need to re aclimatise to new scaping plus water paremeters, evenings after work free can make the eggcrate stands prepare for weekend.

Pipework make sure u sketch out on paper first the diamensions n number of joints needed b4 u go buy hor, dont wait go home liao 1 or 2 joints not enuf haha drive all the way back. Get some union-joints for tricky areas so u can disconnect the pipes easily whenever u need to.

u dont need to do everything in a day lah like that diekokstand plus ur livestock will be stressed like siao waiting a whole day b4 u put them back into maintank n dont forget the fish somemore need to re aclimatise to new scaping plus water paremeters, evenings after work free can make the eggcrate stands prepare for weekend.

Pipework make sure u sketch out on paper first the diamensions n number of joints needed b4 u go buy hor, dont wait go home liao 1 or 2 joints not enuf haha drive all the way back. Get some union-joints for tricky areas so u can disconnect the pipes easily whenever u need to.

Precisely lor... now doing all the planning first. Luckily today never shift the tank, else sure major problem.

Eh, simi si union joint? Actually im thinking of not using PVC piping... i.e. just purely use egg crate to form the rack.

The racks must be ready before next Sat.

Rockscape will be drawn out before sat as well.

The white container will be used to store water + corals + fish that i can catch... for those that i cant get, will leave them in main tank. If they die, too bad... my YT and BT will definitely be rescued.

Pails will be prepared to store as much water as i can... for those cannot, will just throw away, and do salt mix.

Save as much water as possible...

Will time myself how long it takes to shift the tank + rescape... from the moment i shut down the main return pump. (1hr to offload corals, empty water + shift? + 2 hours rescape?)

The remainder time is for rescape (trial & error). But as long as i have a good sktech on what to do, it's about selection the right rock for the rick structure.

:)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Hai, cannot tahan lah...

went to a few LFS earlier this afternoon... as much as i knew i was going to rescape + shift tank.. i still couldnt stop myself from buying 3 more corals + 1 fish.. hehe.

No pix yet, coz i had a minor screw up while trying to place the corals. Tried to shift the corals around, and drop a few others.

Guess my corals contest:

Coral 1 and 2 (same species different colour)

Coral 3 (a better version of Coral 1 and 2)

Fish 1: Hint: it's multi colour, aerodymanic-ly shape.

Any guesses, will try to place pix once the corals open up... maybe must try to 'lure' it to open... keke...

Going for dinner liao!

woo hoo..

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Hai, cannot tahan lah...

went to a few LFS earlier this afternoon... as much as i knew i was going to rescape + shift tank.. i still couldnt stop myself from buying 3 more corals + 1 fish.. hehe.

No pix yet, coz i had a minor screw up while trying to place the corals. Tried to shift the corals around, and drop a few others.

Guess my corals contest:

Coral 1 and 2 (same species different colour)

Coral 3 (a better version of Coral 1 and 2)

Fish 1: Hint: it's multi colour, aerodymanic-ly shape.

Any guesses, will try to place pix once the corals open up... maybe must try to 'lure' it to open... keke...

Going for dinner liao!

woo hoo..

my guess: coral 1 and 2= sun with different color

coral 3= super sun

fish=wrasse? not sure

got prize anot :eyebrow:

my guess: coral 1 and 2= sun with different color

coral 3= super sun

fish=wrasse? not sure

got prize anot :eyebrow:

Wa, it's that obvious huh...

Coral 1: Black Sun (about 15 heads or more) - piang eh, it's so difficult to photograph them...

Coral 2: Pink Sun (about 8 heads) - pink one is a little bit more stubborn, didnt managed to see it opening.

Coral 3: Super sun (about 10 heads) - at the time of posting, it is showing some tips...

Fish: You are right again! It's a Red Head Fairy Wrasse

You've got all the questions correct!

Let's try to meet up sometime this week, so i can collect the K2 and you can collect your prize...

An autograph picture of my tank!

muahahaha...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Say, where'd you get the black suns from? I've been looking out for them, but haven't been able to find any...

Say say say... it's the last piece from where i bought. Furthermore it's in their showtank.

In fact, the supersun is also in their showtank. (also last piece).

i had to beg ah peh (read the hint?) to sell them both to me...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Wa, it's that obvious huh...

Coral 1: Black Sun (about 15 heads or more) - piang eh, it's so difficult to photograph them...

Coral 2: Pink Sun (about 8 heads) - pink one is a little bit more stubborn, didnt managed to see it opening.

Coral 3: Super sun (about 10 heads) - at the time of posting, it is showing some tips...

Fish: You are right again! It's a Red Head Fairy Wrasse

You've got all the questions correct!

Let's try to meet up sometime this week, so i can collect the K2 and you can collect your prize...

An autograph picture of my tank!

muahahaha...

A pic of the tank not bad, for my memory.. lol

Let me know when you coming :)

A pic of the tank not bad, for my memory.. lol

Let me know when you coming :)

Hmm... full tank shot, not ready yet... coz now it's super duper messy.

Maybe next week, once im done with the shifting and rescaping.

Last night, i put the red-head into a beta box for acclimatising... but this morning, i woke up, i realised it's not in the box anymore.

Guess it had jumped out, found it hiding in between some rocks, not really moving much...

Sigh... chances are, it'll be the 3rd name on my RIP list soon. (hopefully it'll acclimatise itself in the tank and stay alive, keeping my fingers crossed).

In case it doesn't survive, this is in memory of him...

post-13920-1206942062.jpg

post-13920-1206942299.jpg

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

I think the One up there must be taking good care of me and my fishes.

This morning, when i left for work, the one-day old new inhabitant (redhead fairy wrasse) was barely moving, lying 'motionless' amongst the liverocks. Attempts to 'push' it to swim went futile.

I was pretty sure that i will not survive, thus, the earlier pre-death obituary post.

Usually my fishes are kept in the betta box for at least 2 days before they're introduced to main tank (nope, i do not have QT).

Here's where I learnt my introduction cycle

At night when i came back, i see it swimming actively. And it's not even shy, when i approach the tank, it's swimming all over (though not as active as the YT and BT).

But really i've been really blessed with the fishes that i bought. All of them are like eating within the same day or at most 1 day later...

For those who has seen my tank, will probably agree that they are all in good condition.

I guess, a hardworking skimmer does help a lot! (Coz i feed with a mix of henry's mix + ocean formula 2 pellets + self-mix frozen cyclopeeze+pellet cubes + nori + brine shrimps.

Definitely not all in one day, but sometimes i do (like weekends, when i have the time to 'dote' on them).

I will try to take a pic of each of them, but frankly a N95 doesn't do justice to them.

Fish stock check:

Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Green Mandarin

Sailfin/Algae Blenny

Doctor Wrasse

Purple Firefish (pair)

Clownfish - black/white with yellow fins (pair) - can't seem to find a correct match to mine..

Blue Tang

Yellow Tang

Chromis (pair)

Next in line, probably a six-line.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

I also have this new addition in my tank ^_^

I realised this is not a red-head, coz the one in my tank has lotsa various coloration.

It should be Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse instead.

I saw quite a lot of wrasses (various species) on Sat... wanted to buy more, but nevermind lah, coz i dunno how easy it is to keep them, so thought i'll try with one first... if good, then slowly add different colours.

Damn happy that it's eating now.

Oh yes, i've tried to repositioned the sun corals... they need highflow, medium light leh... (or at least in my tank condition).

Black one is opening nicely

pink is opening slowly,

Orange, gift from my bro-in-law (temporary taking care of it, until it spawns some into my tank)

Super sun, still closed (sigh) - it was showing a little tips, but i decided to shift to a higher flow location.. so hopefully it'll open later...

:)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

invest in a better cam or if you can ask bro simon help you shoot.. he's the one that pulled me over the canon.. :)

Im thinkiing of trying with my wife's dummy-proof Nikon S8. Hopefully it'll be better.

Simon has already been a great help. I really feel bad troubling him lah.

Unless he offers!!!

Hor, simon.... how how?

Can help me do a 'memorial' shot before i shift and rescape tank this weekend not?

muahahaha

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Heres the link for info on wrasses bro ... there are more sites but i think this one covers many species we can buy in SG. Read info bout compatibility and behaviour b4 u buy more. http://www.marinedepotlive.com/ps_ViewCat~...sh-Wrasses.html

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join us on the largest Reefing community in Asia!

Sign up and share your reefing journey with us, make friends and get helps from the community .

• Topics

• Latest Update

1. 0

快捷办理高贵林学院毕业证加拿大证书Q微707091118高贵林学院文凭认证办理CC毕业证成绩单,诚信专业办理加拿大大学留服认证CoQuitlam College

2. 0

快捷办理兰加拉学院毕业证加拿大证书Q微707091118兰加拉学院文凭认证办理Langara毕业证成绩单,诚信专业办理加拿大大学留服认证Langara College

3. 0

快捷办理西蒙菲莎大学毕业证加拿大证书Q微707091118西蒙菲莎大学文凭认证办理SFU毕业证成绩单,诚信专业办理加拿大大学留服认证Simon Fraser University

4. 0

快捷办理昆特兰理工大学毕业证加拿大证书Q微707091118昆特兰理工大学文凭认证办理KPU毕业证成绩单,诚信专业办理加拿大大学留服认证Kwantlen Polytechnic University

5. 0

快捷办理渥太华大学毕业证加拿大证书Q微707091118渥太华大学文凭认证办理Ottawa毕业证成绩单,诚信专业办理加拿大大学留服认证UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA