A new beginning

wilsontantw

I am sure you heard of some incidents this week where reefers bought nsw and there seems to be some remnants oil residue in them still causing skimmer to malfunction and loss of livestock.

Irwana's water might be ok though. just a heads up for you.

Bought 2 bags of NSW from ah beng, skimmer is ok. So just a heads up.

Tank is somewhat changing into SPS + softies.

Some LPS are on their way out.

Replacing them, are some newbies...

SPS

post-13920-12763236361445_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12763238938817_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12763236692455_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12763236784359_thumb.jpg

Can't get the colours out for these...

post-13920-12763237245411_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12763240113297_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12763240237911_thumb.jpg

Fiji residents! finally got my hands on them...

post-13920-12763237245411_thumb.jpg

time for WC and parameters checking...

must be disciplined if wanna play SPS ah...

post-13920-12763239292088_thumb.jpg

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

thanks bro for the encouragement... am gaining little confidence day by day.

however, i'm losing the pink colouration. Suspect must be due to nitrate spike as i recently lost about 11 fish within 5 days. (1 true perc, 5 chromis and 5 mini fish).

Only managed to recover 4 carcasses. (3 chromis and 1 mini fish).

Added some rowa 2 days ago and today did a partial water change. Salinity was wrongly adjusted to 1.026 (from 1.024). SIgh, gotta work a little harder.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

thanks bro for the encouragement... am gaining little confidence day by day.

however, i'm losing the pink colouration. Suspect must be due to nitrate spike as i recently lost about 11 fish within 5 days. (1 true perc, 5 chromis and 5 mini fish).

Only managed to recover 4 carcasses. (3 chromis and 1 mini fish).

Added some rowa 2 days ago and today did a partial water change. Salinity was wrongly adjusted to 1.026 (from 1.024). SIgh, gotta work a little harder.

I read somewhere lack of potassium can cause discoloring.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

I read somewhere lack of potassium can cause discoloring.

as much as that is true.. it affects mainly montis and certain colours take a greater tow from a lack of it.

but of course this is usually the last few things to look as compared to great water conditions and stable swingless parameters.

as for potassium, if theres good husbandry and a lack of it still occurrs(applies for every other element too), it could very well boils down to the saltmix. (which usually ensures you the major good stuff)

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

Collected 2 LR from bro bino last night. Did a minor rescape to create the sps tower that I'd always wanted.

Now it's done!

Transferred almost all sps (only 11 frags lah) over to the tower. Hopefully the yellow and black clown gobies will find them too far to venture to.

Pix will be up later tonight. Can see that the sps love their new placements cos most polyps are extending longer than before. Especially those previously located near the gobies.

Also decided to turn off the ab5000. Just rely on 1260 + mp40. Somehow, too much turnover in a small tank could prevent proper water flow.

Anyone wants to do a Barter Trade for 1262 with ab5000? Ab5000 used abt 2.5yrs.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

the 'supersun' look-alike... still cannot remember it's actual name. Lemon would know.

post-13920-12764392088077_thumb.jpg

taken with iphone...

this one is looking well, with polyps opening nicely. The other piece (no pix) is recovering slowly. COlours wise, the other piece looks nicer with yellow center. Hope to bring good news in a month or so...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Did a little minor scape earlier to accomodate good spot for SPS.

Added 2 pieces of LR, and removed a flat piece.

Here's the Before and After comparison. Not yet epoxy the rock, but due to time constraint, had to do 'just place it there first'.

FTS

Before | After

post-13920-12764395832081_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12764396249929_thumb.jpg

Right Side

Before | After

post-13920-12764396671022_thumb.jpgpost-13920-12764396816896_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to boost more light... more T5s coming soon...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer

the 'supersun' look-alike... still cannot remember it's actual name. Lemon would know.

post-13920-12764392088077_thumb.jpg

taken with iphone...

this one is looking well, with polyps opening nicely. The other piece (no pix) is recovering slowly. COlours wise, the other piece looks nicer with yellow center. Hope to bring good news in a month or so...

balanophyllia

get ready some tiger balm plasters, i think you will need it for a tank that big (and wide).

But i'm sure you're going to enjoy the setting up process. And make it a slow and fun time, coz once it's filled up... half the joy (and fun) is gone.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

new fts looks good... almost similiar to what we originally planned.. haha thumbsup.gif

Good rock placement! Created a very nice depth.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

new fts looks good... almost similiar to what we originally planned.. haha thumbsup.gif

Actually it is bro. Thing is, the 2 LR that bino gave me are almost perfect. Simply stacked them up and it forms into a tower. In fact there's actually a hole in the top part of the tower, so many options. I owe him one.

Good rock placement! Created a very nice depth.

thanks Goon. Will use a DSLR to show the dof better tonight.

Thing is, this morning, the tower was leaning on the front glass panel. It tilted down.

Must epoxy them sooner the new yellow wrasse brothers are not helpin by burrowing their home just below this new tower.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Thing is, this morning, the tower was leaning on the front glass panel. It tilted down.

!!!! :blink:

Bro, better find time to epoxy it quick, you wouldn't want it to crack or scratch your glass. Very nice scape by the way, glad my OCD habit of hoarding nice rocks has paid off for you. :D

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

Tell me abt it. I half expected it to tilt just not so soon. Furthermore was

rushing to work. Good thing i woke up 30 mins earlier today.

Actually it's the epoxy that I dun have. Need to find time to buy. But there's no marine shop ard my office leh.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Hahaha, just remember that the epoxy cures out of water very quickly when you get it... East side LFS closest to you that's open after work hours: RB, GO, AM. :eyebrow:

Yah your bam bams are opening too, algae is almost gone... Told you the tailspot blenny will do his job haha.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Actually it is bro. Thing is, the 2 LR that bino gave me are almost perfect. Simply stacked them up and it forms into a tower. In fact there's actually a hole in the top part of the tower, so many options. I owe him one.

thanks Goon. Will use a DSLR to show the dof better tonight.

Must epoxy them sooner the new yellow wrasse brothers are not helpin by burrowing their home just below this new tower.

Hahaha.... must be an interest sight when they finally finish burrowing and the "house" collapse immediately.

Regards,

Billy Cheong