cracked tank sos

Help!

I bought off the net a spanking cool 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft tank + cabinet from someone who was giving up this hobby. Being el cheapo I didnt hire professional tank movers, just normal furniture movers. long story short , my new baby was delivered with a crack at the middle of the corner edge, front of thank :( , the movers knocked it against the lift doors as they were moving it to my flat.

is it possible to hire someone to "Repair" the damage? im not professional , but im imagining replacing the bit of glass 4 x 2 ft wide that was cracked..is that even possible? or am i loooking at having to purchase another tank?

can't believe it...i havent even started and it feels like its game over!

please help

• SRC Member

hi, i think u should get a professional tank maker to change your glass, just the cracked side, better to be safe than sorry, ask around im sure there are good tank makers who can do it for not too high a cost, i know it sucks, maybe u can take this opportunity to change the viewing glass to starphire, maybe it wont seem so bad that way :peace:

• SRC Supporter

think it will cost alot and not worth it compare to getting a new tank.

they will need to bring the tank back and remove the glass then resilicon it and deliver back again.. all these procedure cost $.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Help!

I bought off the net a spanking cool 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft tank + cabinet from someone who was giving up this hobby. Being el cheapo I didnt hire professional tank movers, just normal furniture movers. long story short , my new baby was delivered with a crack at the middle of the corner edge, front of thank :( , the movers knocked it against the lift doors as they were moving it to my flat.

is it possible to hire someone to "Repair" the damage? im not professional , but im imagining replacing the bit of glass 4 x 2 ft wide that was cracked..is that even possible? or am i loooking at having to purchase another tank?

can't believe it...i havent even started and it feels like its game over!

please help

I can understand your frustration + regrets... I've been thru it about 4-5 years ago. But mine was not as bad, coz the tank i got was FOC (4-footer).

At that time, financial-power wasn't too good, had to collect the tank with a friend... So 2 'supposedly strong men', went to collect a 4-footer... Just like your 'movers', we're not experts, end up crack one end of the tank, and my friend had a deep cut on his fingers as we didn't realise we accidently crack it.

So, tank threw away (since its FOC), send my friend to see a doc at 24hrs clinic (coz it's past midnight), paid $80 to 'glue' up this cut, paid for the lorry rental... and what do i get?

Nothing!

Anyway, that's me...

For your case, i would strongly urge you to either change the glass (and wait for the silicon to be fully dry) before you start the running of the tank... this could take awhile...

Or, just dump this thing, and build a new tank (based on the current cabinet specs).

Don't even think of 'trying'... I've got a friend's whose tank 'gave way', luckily he spotted it in time, thus, prevent a major flood... But still it was bad, imagine the mess... if it start leaking at night, or when no one's at home... you'll be cursing and swearing even more!

This time you don't just lose the tank, you'll lose your flooring + any furniture that's wood-based or with metallic legs.

Not that it's not good to be el-cheapo... me too, i hunt for good deals here... but must pay due care when it comes to marine... else, you'll feel that the 'cons' are more than the 'pros'.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

the more u try to repair it , the more money you are going to spend on it .

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

sorry to hear that mate, haiz... i strongly suggest you get a new tank. it wont cost as much minus away the cabinet.

treat it as buying a semi new tank. and i will feel better when its new.

if reworking it, its surely not going to worth it. furthermore, will you have the peace in mind even if its repaired?

i won't though.

all the best mate. dun give up so easily, you barely started. ;)

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

sorry to hear that mate, haiz... i strongly suggest you get a new tank. it wont cost as much minus away the cabinet.

treat it as buying a semi new tank. and i will feel better when its new.

if reworking it, its surely not going to worth it. furthermore, will you have the peace in mind even if its repaired?

i won't though.

all the best mate. dun give up so easily, you barely started. ;)

I agree with law, the best thing is to change the tank and keep the cabinet. May not be worth to repair and no peace in mind after repair.

Lim Han Teck is a good tank manufacturer, suggest try him.

Good luck

• SRC Member

Hi MarineTankGuppy,

I'll try to claim compensation from the movers. its their fault.

will depend on your negotiation skills.. ie.. partial payment. better then nothing.

good luck.

Hi,

If the crack is small, you can try to silicon it.

All the best!

Cheers,

bgrking

actually i dun recommend that... it's at the base of the tank where the pressure is greatest.

Any flaw, the weight of a 4x2x2.5 plus rock/sand/water, is going to exploit that... before you know it, small crack = big disaster...

Why risk it? Learn from your lesson... get a new tank, it shouldn't cost you an arm or a leg. :)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Hi wilsontantw,

I didn't know the crack is at the base but thanks for pointing it out. Maybe marinetankguppy can kindly post up a picture of the said subject?

There are also alot of people selling off their tanks of the same dimensions as stated in the title in our pasar malam section, maybe marinetankguppy can consider as well?

I personally just bought the whole tank set with the same dimensions as you from a kind reefer, cute69. Paul just came over my place to do the pipings... can't wait to start cycling my tank too!

All the best to marinetankguppy, don't give up this hobby!

Cheers,

bgrking

Hi guys! many thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Will explore the various costs and lobangs. Not to worry you aint heard the last from me! PERSEVERE! damn...everytime i wanna be cheapo..i end up paying more grrrrr

still thank you thank you

Hi guys! many thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Will explore the various costs and lobangs. Not to worry you aint heard the last from me! PERSEVERE! damn...everytime i wanna be cheapo..i end up paying more grrrrr

still thank you thank you

Hahaha... that's the spirit man! Hope to see your tank soon!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

i was sooo close! dammit!

post-14217-1203945128.jpg

this is how the crack looks like... sigh ...exploring your suggested solutions... hope to have some resolution/ solution that is kind to me limited wallet soon

post-14217-1203944980.jpg

Look not that bad, you can get a black colour silicon and a gun from hardware shop cost less than 10 buk, seal the crack, remember silicon full cure is 7 days.