pump size and water cycling rate

• SRC Member

Hi, I am setting up a overflow tank system to replace my existing canister system. If I am getting a custom made 2 feet tank with water volume approx 60litre and sump about 20 litres, what should the water cycling rate of my main tank, should it be 5, 10, 20 times ???

This bring me to the next question, should i invest in 2 small size pumps to cycle the tank or do i get a bigger size one like twice the flowrate of the smaller pump. seems to me its more logical to get two pump bcos there is 100% standby if one pump fails and in this way i will do away with circulation pump in the tank as there is more water movement from 2 pumps. Temp is not really an issue as I am not keeping temp sensitive creatures.

Can anyone advise on the above?

• SRC Member
Hi, I am setting up a overflow tank system to replace my existing canister system. If I am getting a custom made 2 feet tank with water volume approx 60litre and sump about 20 litres, what should the water cycling rate of my main tank, should it be 5, 10, 20 times ???

This bring me to the next question, should i invest in 2 small size pumps to cycle the tank or do i get a bigger size one like twice the flowrate of the smaller pump. seems to me its more logical to get two pump bcos there is 100% standby if one pump fails and in this way i will do away with circulation pump in the tank as there is more water movement from 2 pumps. Temp is not really an issue as I am not keeping temp sensitive creatures.

Can anyone advise on the above?

I dun know about the overflow rate but its good to go as fast as your overflow box can take. Faster overflow will ensure more detritus/unwanted stuff gets into your skimmer or gets filtered off. Better for oxygenation also. It really depends on the size of the overflow box.

My take on return pumps is to get 2. I went on years with 1 pump, thinking why do some have 2? Why waste? Then one day, after few years, something got stuck in the main pump. Meaning no water overflow at all and only to know when I cam back from work. Luckily 3 wavemakers still circulating water. But if you have more sensitive LSs, main pump failure may mean wipe out.

Also with your 2 return, use one for your chiller and then back to main tank..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/