Reminder to all driver

valerossi

• SRC Member

Let share from other:

In light of the recent tragic accident on the North-South Highway involving the family of baby Jolene Bong, let me share some of my thoughts and experience.

Emotionally, I was quite detached when I read about the accident a few days ago - maybe because the "happy" article was about baby Jolene's miraculous escape and that her extended family would bring her up with a trust fund to provide for her future. You see, I actually drove my family up to Penang the day before the Bongs' 27 March accident. I was in Malaysia for a week and was cut off from Singapore news. I remember glancing a Malaysian newspaper article about the accident but the scant details didn't make me think further about it.

It was only upon returning to Singapore that I realise there are a lot of similarities between the Bongs' and my family's road trip. I was also driving a 7-seater MPV with my wife, mother and our 2 kids who are also 2 years and 2 months old!

I can't know what happened to the Bongs on the road that fateful day, but having driven on the North-South Highway quite frequently between Singapore and Penang; let me share some of the things me and my family practise:

The driver has to be the most important person in the vehicle.

He has to be well-rested, not distracted, and know his limits.

We try not to set off too early but rather wake up naturally after a good night's sleep. Which means preparations like packing and loading the car should be done before-hand, maybe the day before. And for those who can't sleep early, make passionate love to the spouse - yep, you'll sleep like a baby

My mother actually did a great thing by volunteering to baby-sit our 2-year-old in her room the night before our trip. Our poor gal actually vomitted twice in the middle of the night because of indigestion. It would have been my usual duty to put her to bed and tend to her in the middle of the night. Imagine how little sleep I would have gotten that night

Also for me, a strong cofee goes a long way when I'm driving long-distance.

In the car, you need full concentration - hands-free kit ready to receive phone calls, kids all strapped in and not running around, food and drinks readily fed to you or at least close at hand. Your other occupants should be the ones tending to the crying baby, peel the orange or thumbing the sms - not the driver

Know your driving skills and your car well. Know how fast you can drive in different traffic, road and weather conditions. If the longest drive you've ever done is one hour on Singapore roads, please think hard before jumping straight into the 9-hour marathon drive up to Penang - try making shorter drives up to Melaka or KL first or breaking your journey with a night's rest.

Know when you should take a break and most importantly to stop when you should not be driving any more

Have a safe drive

Thanks for sharing.

I nearly had an accident driving up to KL too.... was speeding at 180 I think, and a pickup came to a sudden stop quite far ahead. A dump truck was turning into a lane blocked for road construction. I braked hard and it took a while to come to a complete stop just immediately behind the stationary pickup. Regardless to say, my heart was pounding.

At least I can sheepishly tell my passenger that now I know the stopping power of the standard Honda brakes.... haha!!

God bless the little orphan child and her family.

• SRC Member

if you are a frequent driver driving up for holiday to MALAYSIA !

Do not compromise on tyre.

Change your brake fluids to dot 4 and every 6 mths should change to a new fluids.

Change to a better braking grip for your brake pads.

Every 6 mths without fail do the car alignment.

It will make a difference if not because of other distraction while driving.

First of all....My condolence goes to baby Jolene, May god bless the child and her beloved family too...

Bro valerossi & STORM! :thanks: for e good advise & that oso remind me that my car need to sent for service next week.....$$$ sure gone liao...Sigh...Anyway, Safety always come first ya.....

• SRC Member
First of all....My condolence goes to baby Jolene, May god bless the child and her beloved family too...

Bro valerossi & STORM! :thanks: for e good advise & that oso remind me that my car need to sent for service next week.....$$$ sure gone liao...Sigh...Anyway, Safety always come first ya.....

Spend a little bit of money to preserve ur life. Heard from colleague...that road is haunted. So Bros going there must be real careful.