Bong cooler : Cooling Solution ?

ravi_737

evaporation is the problem in this, and that why ppl prefer chiller becos it doesn't have this problem or minimal.

Yes, evaporation is the basic concept of this whole DIY.

The real purpose of me brining it up is .. is this workable ?

Chiller is always prefereable if you have a big pocket and also i beleive it will save a lot of energy and electric bill

but isnt this really cheaper and workable is what i was trying stress .... I mean if it works .... its damn cheap and evironment freindly compared to a chiller ...!!!!

happy DIY

regards,

Ravi.M

• SRC Member

I am sure this is another low-cost effective way of cooling water as for the last 30 over years the nuclear plants have been using this method - evaporative cooling.

+ points - low cost, very simple, very low energy costings, from Internet checking - seems to be rather effective, but in Singapore humidity - question mark? but I still believe the figures that the Internet sources are saying - seems rather convincing

- points - noise (like waterfall), raises the overall humidity in the room (evaporative), smell (imagine you at the seaside - saltwater evaporation), salt creeping all over the house, piping of the setup (similar to any chiller/cooler), no way to control the temperature, even if you can, the swing from one extrem to the next will be very high, need to monitor the water top-up (so the urgency of have a reliabel water top-up method else the salinity of the tank will be affected rather quickly.

Overall - I am concern with the smell and salt evaporation, if not I believe this is a very low cost solution - ideal if your tank is next to a window (the outside air can be ducted to this unit so that the "salt" goes outside the house - neighbours complain of salt and smell? - but woth a try.

Might want to try to DIY one to try.

• SRC Member

Evaporate Cooling for our tank using may not be cost effective and practical.

I did it power plant automation so cooling tower application is really nottin new. For industial application, we have high differential temperature, thus using a cooling tower, will greatly cool the equipment rapidly even without a fan, just sprinkle water and ambient temp does the job with evaporation.

Our reef tank has a differiential temp of abt 3deg from our environment, from equipment/pump we use. So the best temp we can acheive is only 2 deg lower. Do not expect the reef tank to be 26 deg when ambient temp is 28 using evaporative cooling, it will never happen, matter of physics.

Having said that, simply install a airstone in your sump and a fan blowing across the surface will acheive same result of evaporative cooling. Do expect lots of splash and water lost.

Cheers.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.