which ls to get first?

• SRC Member

hi all,

im planning to get ls soon... my tank is jus a small nano cube (Boyu)... its approx 35L... so wan2 get some advice from the fellow reefers here...

1) wat shld i get first?

2) wat shld i have for my cleaning crew?

hope to get some advice n recommendations... i'll appreciate if u guys can include an approx price n place to get the ls... thks...

• SRC Member
hi all,

im planning to get ls soon... my tank is jus a small nano cube (Boyu)... its approx 35L... so wan2 get some advice from the fellow reefers here...

1) wat shld i get first?

2) wat shld i have for my cleaning crew?

hope to get some advice n recommendations... i'll appreciate if u guys can include an approx price n place to get the ls... thks...

I dunno.. you new in this hobby? 1 feet cube not easy to control water parameters. I would recommend at least a 2ft. I have bad experiences after I gave up a 2ft, due to moving house, to a 1ft cube. I had so much problems controlling parameters and I can't keep anything I wanted. Shrimps and fishes keep dying off. :pinch: .. then I kept a really hardy ghost eel only..

Maybe its me that time? Dunno.. I though I have already enticipated most things already since I had the 2ft before for more that a yr with really good results.

SO if you plan to keep hardy fishes like damsels <_<:whistle , etc.. it should be ok.. if you want to keep not as hardy LSs and corals, I would recommend 2ft.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
I dunno.. you new in this hobby? 1 feet cube not easy to control water parameters. I would recommend at least a 2ft. I have bad experiences after I gave up a 2ft, due to moving house, to a 1ft cube. I had so much problems controlling parameters and I can't keep anything I wanted. Shrimps and fishes keep dying off. :pinch: .. then I kept a really hardy ghost eel only..

Maybe its me that time? Dunno.. I though I have already enticipated most things already since I had the 2ft before for more that a yr with really good results.

SO if you plan to keep hardy fishes like damsels <_<:whistle , etc.. it should be ok.. if you want to keep not as hardy LSs and corals, I would recommend 2ft.

haha.. ya... jus join the hobby not long ago...i know small tank is harder to maintain... but can only accomodate tt due to small space... will try for sometime to c if it works out well..

i would probably try a FOWLR tank first... heard tt its easier to maintain... my main aim is to keep some common clownfish which are quite hardy i guess... any tips to maintain water stability? thks for ur advice anyway...

haha.. ya... jus join the hobby not long ago...i know small tank is harder to maintain... but can only accomodate tt due to small space... will try for sometime to c if it works out well..

i would probably try a FOWLR tank first... heard tt its easier to maintain... my main aim is to keep some common clownfish which are quite hardy i guess... any tips to maintain water stability? thks for ur advice anyway...

If you want a hardy clown fish i should suggest you to get a Tomato clown. IMO common clowns are not that hardy. For clean up crew you can get a coral banded shrimp, some snails and a brittle starfish. Even hardy LS prefer good water quality, so always check your water parameter. Enjoy Reefing! :upsidedown:

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Member
If you want a hardy clown fish i should suggest you to get a Tomato clown. IMO common clowns are not that hardy. For clean up crew you can get a coral banded shrimp, some snails and a brittle starfish. Even hardy LS prefer good water quality, so always check your water parameter. Enjoy Reefing! :upsidedown:

hi, thks for the advice...

i jus measure my water parameters...

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate 20

ph - 8.2

temp - 28 degree celsius

is the level of nitrate still too high? shld i make a water change? im using salt mix... can i jus use tapwater to mix it? thks..

hi, thks for the advice...

i jus measure my water parameters...

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate 20

ph - 8.2

temp - 28 degree celsius

is the level of nitrate still too high? shld i make a water change? im using salt mix... can i jus use tapwater to mix it? thks..

Your nitrate lvl is too high. Try your best to lower them down to 10 to 5ppm(Water changes is the best). Other than that, everything looks good. :lol:

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

Try to maintain your nitrate around 5 the most.

You need weekly parameter check for a few weeks initially to

get fimiliar with how fast your parameter change.

What is your SG?Keep temperature around 27 Deg

Very important.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

hi all,

i'll be changing water later to bring down the nitrate level... was wondering does our normal tapwater contains nitrates? cos i'll be using it to make salt water from salt mix... if it does contain a high level of nitrate then it beats the purpose...

as for temp.. my lowest temp is 26 degree celsius... i just got 2 fans installed... 28 is my max temp now.. if i wan2 to further reduce it... i guess i'll need a chiller which i dont think i'll get yet... would probably monitor it longer to c if it is really necessary...

oh ya.. my SG was 1.022 or 1.023... is it sufficient?

hi all,

i'll be changing water later to bring down the nitrate level... was wondering does our normal tapwater contains nitrates? cos i'll be using it to make salt water from salt mix... if it does contain a high level of nitrate then it beats the purpose...

as for temp.. my lowest temp is 26 degree celsius... i just got 2 fans installed... 28 is my max temp now.. if i wan2 to further reduce it... i guess i'll need a chiller which i dont think i'll get yet... would probably monitor it longer to c if it is really necessary...

oh ya.. my SG was 1.022 or 1.023... is it sufficient?

For Fish only 1.020 to 1.023 is fine. For corals 1.023 to 1.026.

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

• SRC Member

ok... i did the water change today... change abt 10 litres... my tank was 35L... nitrate only drop to abt 15... kinda disappointing... is there any other ways to bring down the nitrate level? could it be because im using tapwater to make the salt water?

or shld i have an external refugium to address the issue in the long term?

• SRC Member

hi all,

i have decided to get the following for my clean up crew...

1) cleaner shrimp x 1

2) hermit crab x 2

3) one of the gobies..x1

4)probably brittle star fish ( will it hurt small fishes?) x 1

any opinion on this set up? can they work tgt or any rivalry amg them?

thks...

hi all,

1) cleaner shrimp x 1

2) hermit crab x 2

3) one of the gobies..x1

thks...

I got one. And it harmless. It only thrive among the Corals and sand.

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

hi all,

1) cleaner shrimp x 1

2) hermit crab x 2

3) one of the gobies..x1

thks...

Hi crash,

As bro arcanehacker has mentioned...1ft tank is not easily to maintain the stability of the water parameter and Since you have already setup the 1ft tank, I would not comment much...but my advice is WC frequently.

Usually, Pico tank crashed b'cos NO2,3, PO4...etc strike due to lazy of WC after sometimes so pls bear in mind.

Happy reefing :)

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

thks bros for the reminder....

ya.. i am aware of the water instability in small tank... im trying to fight this prob with WC... currently i change every wk.. does having more lr help to stabilise the water parameters more?

also... wat r the goby that i can get? are gobies agressive? i wan2 keep the sand clean...

• SRC Member
thks bros for the reminder....

ya.. i am aware of the water instability in small tank... im trying to fight this prob with WC... currently i change every wk.. does having more lr help to stabilise the water parameters more?

also... wat r the goby that i can get? are gobies agressive? i wan2 keep the sand clean...

Having more live rocks is always good but then again how much 'real estate' do you have on the 1ft? Try to hav emore but not too much till in the end only see rocks.

I think gobies in general are not aggressive. Don't get twin spotted as even in a stable tank, they just get thinner and thinner everyday. Other faster working gobies, eg diamond head, are too messy.. they sprinkle sand all over and therefore rescape the landscape constantly. IMO not very good if you have corals.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

thks for the advice...

anyway... i got the following now...

cleaner shrimp x 1

hermit crab x 1

sand shifter star x 1

royal gramma x 1 ( i dun tink its the true royal gramma)

currently i hav abt 4 kg of lr in the tank... ya... space is very limited.. but there r still a little space in the sump tank... is it advisable to put some small lr in there? there will be no light in the sump...

so is there any goby that u can reccommend? the fire goby? is it good?

• SRC Member
thks for the advice...

anyway... i got the following now...

cleaner shrimp x 1

hermit crab x 1

sand shifter star x 1

royal gramma x 1 ( i dun tink its the true royal gramma)

currently i hav abt 4 kg of lr in the tank... ya... space is very limited.. but there r still a little space in the sump tank... is it advisable to put some small lr in there? there will be no light in the sump...

so is there any goby that u can reccommend? the fire goby? is it good?

Bacteria do not need light to propergate.. so you can place as much live rocks there.

Non true Royal Gramma is called Brazillian Gramma.. they differ in build, colouration at the pink yellow intersection, eyes, etc... unless you got a royal dottyback :pinch::whistle

You should try closing the hood if you want to keep firegobies.. Firegoby darts when stressed so there is possibility that they jump out.