Papaya's new venture

papaya

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really very deep pocket but believe you made the right choice as Aquamarin is a reputated lfs.

Well, I didnt check around and hope my investment was well spent. I went to the shop a few time before confirmation and what impressed me were the "hardcore selling" came from their customers and not themselves.

just curious what is your return pump ?

so many 90 degrees bents on your return piping ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

nice and beautiful house...

Your tank looks small inside your house :P

Congratulation for your new setup. Just a few comments.

1. You need to have exhaust fans (best is ducted to your MH reflector) that will draw heat away from your tank.

2. Your chiller is not ventilated properly, it will give way in no time although the back you have cutted some mesh for ventilation, i doubt that is enough.

3. Your return pump (1 only) seems not enough flow. I suggest you also add wave maker for better circulation.

4. No protein skimmer? i think you have to consider one, without one, you will be growing algae soon.

5. Your rocks from where? Any crabs or pests? Best is to get rid of them before they give you problem later on.

6. Decide what you want and go slow, it would best save your problem later on.

7. Cant think of a maintenance package is better than to do it and maintain your tank yourself. This is what a hobby is all about and you will learn much better.

Good luck and do share with us again on your mod.

• SRC Member
5. Your rocks from where? Any crabs or pests? Best is to get rid of them before they give you problem later on.

7. Cant think of a maintenance package is better than to do it and maintain your tank yourself. This is what a hobby is all about and you will learn much better.

These are sound advice, and I can't agree more on pts 5 to 7. Given a choice, I would make sure every single rock in my tank is thoroughly scanned for any pests. Its a search & destroy operation worth your while. :ph34r:

I know it can be quite a pain to perform maintenance of a marine tank, and mine is not even 1/8 of your tank size. However, the satisfaction of setting things right and the sense of accomplishment after a hard day's work cannot be compared to others doing it for you. Well... I guess its the benefits of having really deep pockets... hehe... :eyebrow:

Bro with this kind of price tag, at least ask them to change your atman pump feeding your FR to Hydor/Aquabee. The cabinet finishing must be very costly for the price without LS. It's nice tank design and color anyway.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

i think his return is running a pathetic Aqua bee 7000 pump which cannot make it at all ..

it cannot take any height

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
Return pump is Aquabee up7000.

what is your recommended numbers of bents on return piping?

The tank in their show room? That is mostly sps, and with your current setup, the flow is definitely not enough. The return pump flow rate seems ok, 7000l/hr? but the brand i not sure as they have weak impeller. Maybe you can try red dragon or aquamedic.

Rule of thump, not more than 3/4 bends provided bigger and reputable pumps are used.

Anyway, dont worry about mistakes, many owners have designed tanks and optimistic at first but later found out that it is not what they want and they missed out alot of things and the 'it should be' questions. Just make amend if possible when your tank is in operation.

Good luck.....

nice and beautiful house...

Your tank looks small inside your house :P

Congratulation for your new setup. Just a few comments.

1. You need to have exhaust fans (best is ducted to your MH reflector) that will draw heat away from your tank.

2. Your chiller is not ventilated properly, it will give way in no time although the back you have cutted some mesh for ventilation, i doubt that is enough.

3. Your return pump (1 only) seems not enough flow. I suggest you also add wave maker for better circulation.

4. No protein skimmer? i think you have to consider one, without one, you will be growing algae soon.

Good luck and do share with us again on your mod.

Noted all your valuable comments.

My tank looks small? :unsure: I thought I am adventurous enough to start with a 5 footer marine with no knowledge. What size you think I should go for?

1. This will be done

2. The carpenter will rectify

3. I will be having Tunze turbelle stream TS 24 2 x 6101, 1 x 7095. Is this enough? I can add another 2 x 6101 as per steve anytime later.

4.Protein skimmer will be installed this week.

5. They are fully cured rocks. I saw them the rocks cycling at the shop 2 weeks before coming to my house.

6.Go slow, ok. I am patience.

7. Will try.

Thank you for your time to advise me.This Forum is really filled with lots of kind and helpful people.

These are sound advice, and I can't agree more on pts 5 to 7. Given a choice, I would make sure every single rock in my tank is thoroughly scanned for any pests. Its a search & destroy operation worth your while. :ph34r:

I know it can be quite a pain to perform maintenance of a marine tank, and mine is not even 1/8 of your tank size. However, the satisfaction of setting things right and the sense of accomplishment after a hard day's work cannot be compared to others doing it for you. Well... I guess its the benefits of having really deep pockets... hehe... :eyebrow:

So far cannot see any "pest" yet. :pinch:

• SRC Member

Your tank is 5ft is quite big but as compared to your house... :)

What protein skimmer you are going to use? where you placing it? if under the cabinet i doubt it will be a powerful one.

What corals you intend to keep? If keeping LPS then the tunzes seems too strong i suppose. If keeping SPS, then depends on what species. If keeping a mixed reef (Most difficult IMO), well i am still mastering it, so i cant advise.

Bro with this kind of price tag, at least ask them to change your atman pump feeding your FR to Hydor/Aquabee. The cabinet finishing must be very costly for the price without LS. It's nice tank design and color anyway.

Oh, you are sharp. That was my old pump which I requested to use back, Steve did suggest hydor initially but he can change for me anytime later. Is it bad? I do not mind to change.

• SRC Member
The tank in their show room? That is mostly sps, and with your current setup, the flow is definitely not enough. The return pump flow rate seems ok, 7000l/hr? but the brand i not sure as they have weak impeller. Maybe you can try red dragon or aquamedic.

Good luck.....

u can also consider sequence reeflo pump...