need ur helps guyz

Hi im realy interested in setting up a marine tank but the truth is me got zero knowelege and noe nuts abot tis new hobby tat me r abot to take. im planning juz to have clown fish for a start, so can u guyz help me out.

Ther a lot gng thru my mind, lik whether a 2 ft tank is enuf, do i need to put coral or rocks at the tank with the clown fish. wat else is needed e.g filter,lights,skimmer. GOD i don even noe wat a skimmer does anyway. How to make the water suitable for the fish and all tat. Which shop to go to which can giv me gd advice.(me living in the east).as u can c me realy is lost but iam realy interested in tis. so i hope those kind soul can giv me advice in tis.

Hi,

Welcome to this hobby. Me newbie also, hence i think i can understand how you feel. Maybe it is good to understand yourself and your budget. Pardon me for my frankness. If you know you are one that will like to try new things and the interests will die off soon, then it is good to just start small - 1 to 1.5 ft nano. This is something like "testing water"...lol. Budget is another issue for start-off.

I got into this hobby when my colleague passed me a small chiller and i thought it can do wonders. Hence, i started with a normal 2 ft by 1ft by 1.5 ft freshwater tank. Thinking just need a normal light and existing overhead filter will do the job. As i study more, i need a skimmer and for each equipment, there are so many types. Slowly bought a canister filter to work with my chiller and change the PL light to those marine lighting. Hence, with the limitation of my tank side, i decided to upgrade.

For your case, if you know yourself and acertain the budget, it is much more easier to plan. Local shops do setup for small nano, ranging from 500 plus to 600 plus. With the setup, you can keep coral and fishes. However, if you want to save, you will have to search around for second hand or shops to determine. As a beginner, i think it is good to buy off the shelve or entire setup from those decomm reefer. For DIY, either you are good in reading or has good friend to assist. For me, i got a friend to help.

For a basic setup, u need, filter(many types - sump, canister, etc), skimmer is recommended, chiller depends as for fish-only keeping may not need and can use fan to cool the water(bear in mind water evaporation), live rock is a yes as it will help in reducing NO, sand or shell for the bed is subjective as some will like it(natural) and some not due to maintenance, lighting depending on what you keep, test kits - pH, NO3/4, KH, Cal, Mag, parameter monitoring o controller device - Salinity, pH, etc. If you are keeping fish only, they can withstand certain degree of poor water condition(provided your fishes are immuned). If you are keeping coral, water quality is very important and you need to get supplement, etc.

For your fishes, invert. and coral, you need to study they characteristic and compatibility before buying. Please note there is the so called new tank sick sydrome, hence u need to let your tank runs for weeks to month. If you buy a setup from shop or another reefer, maybe this is not necessary.

For shops, where do you stay. Check through the forum and sponsorshops....they are the few reputable sellers but utlimately u will have to decide u go for service, budget or convenience....

you can always post a question and think the reefers here will try to help....

one thing for sure....it is not easy....lol....has been reading alot but the more i read....the more i get blur...wahaha...moreover.....books and true experience in life do make a difference....hence sometimes it is good to get advice from senior reefer...

welcome on board. Let's learn and share ....: )

me stay in sengkang. : )

Hi im realy interested in setting up a marine tank but the truth is me got zero knowelege and noe nuts abot tis new hobby tat me r abot to take. im planning juz to have clown fish for a start, so can u guyz help me out.

Ther a lot gng thru my mind, lik whether a 2 ft tank is enuf, do i need to put coral or rocks at the tank with the clown fish. wat else is needed e.g filter,lights,skimmer. GOD i don even noe wat a skimmer does anyway. How to make the water suitable for the fish and all tat. Which shop to go to which can giv me gd advice.(me living in the east).as u can c me realy is lost but iam realy interested in tis. so i hope those kind soul can giv me advice in tis.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Dear senior reefers, do correct me if i am wrong(newbie also).

Hi,

Welcome to this hobby. Me newbie also, hence i think i can understand how you feel. Maybe it is good to understand yourself and your budget. Pardon me for my frankness. If you know you are one that will like to try new things and the interests will die off soon, then it is good to just start small - 1 to 1.5 ft nano. This is something like "testing water"...lol. Budget is another issue for start-off.

I got into this hobby when my colleague passed me a small chiller and i thought it can do wonders. Hence, i started with a normal 2 ft by 1ft by 1.5 ft freshwater tank. Thinking just need a normal light and existing overhead filter will do the job. As i study more, i need a skimmer and for each equipment, there are so many types. Slowly bought a canister filter to work with my chiller and change the PL light to those marine lighting. Hence, with the limitation of my tank side, i decided to upgrade.

For your case, if you know yourself and acertain the budget, it is much more easier to plan. Local shops do setup for small nano, ranging from 500 plus to 600 plus. With the setup, you can keep coral and fishes. However, if you want to save, you will have to search around for second hand or shops to determine. As a beginner, i think it is good to buy off the shelve or entire setup from those decomm reefer. For DIY, either you are good in reading or has good friend to assist. For me, i got a friend to help.

For a basic setup, u need, filter(many types - sump, canister, etc), skimmer is recommended, chiller depends as for fish-only keeping may not need and can use fan to cool the water(bear in mind water evaporation), live rock is a yes as it will help in reducing NO, sand or shell for the bed is subjective as some will like it(natural) and some not due to maintenance, lighting depending on what you keep, test kits - pH, NO3/4, KH, Cal, Mag, parameter monitoring o controller device - Salinity, pH, etc. If you are keeping fish only, they can withstand certain degree of poor water condition(provided your fishes are immuned). If you are keeping coral, water quality is very important and you need to get supplement, etc.

For your fishes, invert. and coral, you need to study they characteristic and compatibility before buying. Please note there is the so called new tank sick sydrome, hence u need to let your tank runs for weeks to month. If you buy a setup from shop or another reefer, maybe this is not necessary.

For shops, where do you stay. Check through the forum and sponsorshops....they are the few reputable sellers but utlimately u will have to decide u go for service, budget or convenience....

you can always post a question and think the reefers here will try to help....

one thing for sure....it is not easy....lol....has been reading alot but the more i read....the more i get blur...wahaha...moreover.....books and true experience in life do make a difference....hence sometimes it is good to get advice from senior reefer...

welcome on board. Let's learn and share ....: )

me stay in sengkang. : )

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Dear senior reefers, do correct me if i am wrong(newbie also).

you sound like a pro now :eyebrow:

:upsidedown:

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

not a pro lor.....thanks to you. Now must learn those DIY skills....hehehe...

so later wat time to meet at GO...think better sms and not tag along this thread.....

you sound like a pro now :eyebrow:

:upsidedown:

Algae Scrubbler