those cyno, red hair algae killing me..

Alvvin

Bros,

as mentioned above.. what can i do if i had this problem...

temporary i had been switching off the light most of the time and it seem to improve the situation.

but afraid it might be unhealthy for the corals in long run.. and as soon as i switch on the light for half a day

the cynos will come back again..

anyway to stop this harrassent or any fishes or prawn or snail that can help me to eat up all the cynos...

appreciate ur advice and thank in advance.

• SRC Member

Do some water change at the meanwhile. Phospate level might be on the high side. Wat is ur tank spec and wavemaker tat u had in the tank ? More infor might be helpful for us to ID ur main problem :rolleyes:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Do some water change at the meanwhile. Phospate level might be on the high side. Wat is ur tank spec and wavemaker tat u had in the tank ? More infor might be helpful for us to ID ur main problem :rolleyes:

The phospate is at a healthy level and currently had 3 X wave maker running in my 2.5 X 2.5 X 2 tank.

i had done water change bou 10% dont dare to do much scared tthe corals cant tahan.

went to the a marine shop, the owner said that it could be my skimmer not working hard enuff and

had to get another skimmer to solve this problem.. True or not?

• SRC Member
The phospate is at a healthy level and currently had 3 X wave maker running in my 2.5 X 2.5 X 2 tank.

i had done water change bou 10% dont dare to do much scared tthe corals cant tahan.

went to the a marine shop, the owner said that it could be my skimmer not working hard enuff and

had to get another skimmer to solve this problem.. True or not?

i have normal skimmer and have resolved the problem by putting the wavemaker near to the sand (1), ensure reduction of nitrate and phos by introducing additives. Some pple told me red slime dervies due to high nitrate, some say high phos, i dont know and just buy both additives. Things start to get better. I didnt reduce the time of the lightings though.

I heard that there is a product call slime away to remove slime effectively. But that is not a long term solution and i didnt try that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Red slime algae can be really hard to completely remove. You do have to completely remove it otherwise it will simply keep growing. Try the following steps.

1. Test your water and get the tank within normal conditions to isolate the algae problem. Red algae locks up nitrates, so they may be present even when water tests are fine. In particular make sure your phosphates are zero and your nitrates are low (below 20 should be OK)

2. Have plenty of fresh salt water prepared. Take an airline tube and carefully siphon the red slime off all of your aquarium decor (rocks, pumps, glass, corals and anything else in your tank that is coated with the red slime algae).

3. Discard the siphoned water and replace it with freshly made saltwater.

4. Do this daily until the red slime algae is gone.

Also......

* Reduce your lighting temporarily.

* Reduce feeding.

* Increase circulation.

* Replace charcoal.

* Remove slimy rocks scrub with brush under running tap water, replace.

If this does not work you can try "Red Slime Remover" made by Ultralife (its available from many aquarium suppliers in Singapore). It is reef safe. Note: Keep your skimmer turned off for several days while treating your tank with this product.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)