Mud from Pasir Ris

yazid

• SRC Member

I was wondering if I were to go to Pasir Ris at a very low tide. I could get dig some mud that would be beneficial for a refugium seeding.

What do you guys think? Is it safe?

You can try and let us know! ;)

Ever thought of that... but knowing the sea condition around Singapore... I am sure the mud will have a very high concentration of pollution... <_<

• SRC Member

yeh, u can try- i also thought of it.

BTW- abt 1-2" down into sand/mud u hit a black layer then clay. stinks, & even water there stinks. Once home & mud settle in refugium(which should not be connected first) need to skim the hell out of it!!!all sorts of dead stuff in there+ lots of burrowed clams.

• SRC Member

I tried using mud from the mud flat outside the Kranji water release point. Something I regretted lots. Too much oil and other undesirables. But got lots of bristleworms :) SO maybe, you can do better by just introducing the bw (sometime after the tank starts up) but my take is to avoid the mud.

• SRC Member

I was thinking of Pasir Ris mangrove area as it seems to be the "cleanest" place compare to Sembawang or even Kranji which is too oily and really dirty/smelly.

I was in fact thinking of Changi mangrove area (Near SAF Yatch Club) at low tide seems to have a nice clean patch of mud.

My other hobby is fishing so I do get the chance to see some part of the beach at low tide. Seems like some place have a very good place to collect mud.

The safest bet would be to quarantine the mud first and let is settle down after skimming before putting it in a refugium layer.

• SRC Member

No AT, thought abt it, tried a very small amount+ water in a very small tnk. It STINKS, i had to skim for days to get rid of the major smell-didn't last 2 weeks before i clean everything out. but water intro lots of funny swimming things- one is a sort of translucent jelly fish ###### featherduster sort of thing. swims like a jelly fish when disturbed, otherwise stick to LR or glass like anemone.

i know the layers cause when i go, i curious so i dig just to see what's there.

i think just use the beach sand for DSB better-

chanbi,we live on a 'tropical island'- did u know u can see angels & parrotfishes at labrador park ard the pier?also clowns. The pasir ris mangroves i visit once every few weeks to catch small shrimp for seahorses, that's why the gobies are a by product- i try to release as many as possible but they get thru. Have to take a bit of water too- to acclimatise the shrimp to tank water.

BTW- there are big dead open brains, coral rubble at that mangrove area at low tide but filled with pistol shrimps(u can hear them)& creepy kinds of snails.blue leg hermits & cockles.

yazid, i think changi better bet- too much ash & clay in pasir ris mud.

• SRC Member
I was thinking of Pasir Ris mangrove area as it seems to be the "cleanest" place compare to Sembawang or even Kranji which is too oily and really dirty/smelly.

I was in fact thinking of Changi mangrove area (Near SAF Yatch Club) at low tide seems to have a nice clean patch of mud.

My other hobby is fishing so I do get the chance to see some part of the beach at low tide. Seems like some place have a very good place to collect mud.

The safest bet would be to quarantine the mud first and let is settle down after skimming before putting it in a refugium layer.

Hi Yazid,

Are you from the fishing kaki forum?

• SRC Member

Hi Yazid,

Are you from the fishing kaki forum?

Yeah... I'm the same guy at Fishing Kaki Forum. Currently in Bangkok, wIll do some Fishing in Thailand this weekend.

• SRC Member
could u do the R n D for us yazid?

if it works then arrange an outing where all of us go collect mud...

outing to collect mud?? only u can suggest that, sinn. hahaha.. :lol: anyway, what abt the mud in Ubin, especially, chek jawa.. just dun take the live stock but the mud.. :huh:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.