disease attack on all fishes

• SRC Member

Dear All

Have a problem :blink:

Recently i bought three angels and put in into my tank of two years, One by one after two weeks, the angels developed

popped cloudy eyes and white spots and died.

Now the original fishes got the disease. die till one left. waht should i do with the water? need to change or leave it?

Recycle?

Please help. First time kenna all die . very sad

Are they eating well? I think you need to test your water parameter and do a 25 to 50% change. Dont add any more LS and either you leave the tank running for 1 or more months or get UV/ozoniser or find out which water parameter/s goes wrong and correct it. It is sad but just treat this as a lesson and move on to improve your reefing knowledge. Just my 2 cents worth opinion. More advices will come from senior reefer.

Dear All

Recently i bought three angels and put in into my tank of two years, One by one after two weeks, the angels developed

Now the original fishes got the disease. die till one left. waht should i do with the water? need to change or leave it?

Recycle?

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Dear All

Recycle?

Hi there,

I had my LS for 18yrs without changing water. Everything was fine, a pair of true perculas even laid eggs til the fry stage. I kept a Golden pygmy angel, a Venus angel, and a couple of Mandarins (paired) . Problem developed when I added a newly bought Majestic. Within 2 days nothing could stop the death march.

Just 2 months ago the same thing happened when I transferred my fish after giving away one of my tanks. But those I'd left in about 6inches of old water n running jus' an air pump survived till I was confident to release them in the new setup using dsb from the former. The new toll was a Blueface(w me for 1yr), a Naso, a purple tang(w me for 3yrs), 6 true perculas(I had a double-decker setup), 6 false perculas, 2 foxface lo (with me for 3yrs) n a scarlet cleaner shrimp.

The survivors were an adult Koran angel, a unicorn tang(abt 15cm long) n a Naso. All the fishes developed white spots n :(I kept them alive by removing them n dipping in aerated tap water buffered to same ph as original tank. Out of desperation I dumped them back into my old tank. For some unknown reason I didn't do the same for the others, hence the high casualty.

Recently I added a sailfin tang, a bi-color angel, a copperband and a 3-spot angel. So far everything is running fine n they're fattening up on mysis, cyclopeeze , pellets n flakes.

Don't give up,

Finbir.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the sharing. Now left one damsel. Even my clown fish died.

Will do water change and do a rescap. But the soft coral are ok. so can keep right. just don't add fishes right?

My children very sad because the clown was their favorate.

Thanks for the sharing. Now left one damsel. Even my clown fish died.

Will do water change and do a rescap. But the soft coral are ok. so can keep right. just don't add fishes right?

My children very sad because the clown was their favorate.

Thru sharing we improve n minimize losses of livestocks. Normally, all inverts are safe except when wrong chemicals are dunked into the tank. Damsels r helluva tough n yours may well survive if it's still darting about normally. Nowadays a lot of info is available via the Net to help the enthusiasts avoid pitfalls.

A water change will not work if death is caused by white spots or internal strife.

Good luck,

Finbir.

Dear Finbir

Thanks for the encouragement :rolleyes:

So if water change not going to help, then i just wait? for the water to recycle itself?

Have install a UV light , hope it will work.

TJ

Hi fren,

Once again I've to tell u that in the past I'd tried many so called remedies (see comments on treating white spots by Mike

Paletta ) one of which cost $80 per kg. only to see them fishies die till 1 or 2 were left. Since ur tank is already 2 yrs old,

wait for 3 weeks then add new fish, bearing in mind their compatibility viz. aggresiveness, size n state of health.

One more thing is the filtration system u r using. Mine is a direct flow thru using a sump with a dsb n a powerful skimmer. I

reintroduce a new stock of 8 false perculas, after 3 wks of waiting, n to date they r as plumb as one wants them to be.

I threw away my Hawaiin Marinemix UV last year when I cleaned my storeroom!

Keeping fish can be hassle free, if......

Cheers,

Finbir.

Hi,

There are a lot of factors that might contribute the death of the fishes, hence there is no hard and fuss rules. Water change will not help if the fishes died because of "poison", stress, etc. However, if the reason is due to poor water quality, it will definitely help. No harm changing water. To kill off the parasites, UV, ozoniser, etc will help but will not eliminate them 100%. There are many ways to enhance water...dosing addictive to encourage good bacterias growth, frequent change of water, dont over stock, dont overfeed, using bio mean, using LR or plant to reduce NO, have a good skimmer, using UV/ozoniser, etc. Think has to try and find the proper method.

Personally, i also faced a problem of keeping clown fish, except maroon clown(super hardy for me). But keeping maroon clown means i will not be able to keep other clowns...hence still thinking. Went round checking but cannot get definite answer why clown cannot survive in my tank. Hence, i think it is the so called new tank sydrome. I "THINK" recycled tank or water doesnt mean it will prevent fatality. Only matured tank will increase the level of survivial. For matured tank, i am trying now...hehe...

IMO, you may wish to change water and leave it alone for at least a month before adding new life. You can add inverts to make your kids happy...hehe...like blue leg hermit, cleaner shrimp, etc. They are quite fun to look at. Warning, dont buy boxer shrimp....lol....

Marine is a life long learning journey....hehe.....all the best and keep us posted...

Dear Finbir

Thanks for the encouragement :rolleyes:

So if water change not going to help, then i just wait? for the water to recycle itself?

Have install a UV light , hope it will work.

TJ

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Forgot to add...adding new fish....there are also recommended ways to prevent bringing exiting diseases from the fish u bought to your tank.....read thr the forum. One method is fresh water dip.....but at your own risk....hehe....also...the water that comes with the fish, some will advice not to pour into the main tank....as the water might contain copper when fish shop treated the fish......

Hi,

There are a lot of factors that might contribute the death of the fishes, hence there is no hard and fuss rules. Water change will not help if the fishes died because of "poison", stress, etc. However, if the reason is due to poor water quality, it will definitely help. No harm changing water. To kill off the parasites, UV, ozoniser, etc will help but will not eliminate them 100%. There are many ways to enhance water...dosing addictive to encourage good bacterias growth, frequent change of water, dont over stock, dont overfeed, using bio mean, using LR or plant to reduce NO, have a good skimmer, using UV/ozoniser, etc. Think has to try and find the proper method.

Personally, i also faced a problem of keeping clown fish, except maroon clown(super hardy for me). But keeping maroon clown means i will not be able to keep other clowns...hence still thinking. Went round checking but cannot get definite answer why clown cannot survive in my tank. Hence, i think it is the so called new tank sydrome. I "THINK" recycled tank or water doesnt mean it will prevent fatality. Only matured tank will increase the level of survivial. For matured tank, i am trying now...hehe...

IMO, you may wish to change water and leave it alone for at least a month before adding new life. You can add inverts to make your kids happy...hehe...like blue leg hermit, cleaner shrimp, etc. They are quite fun to look at. Warning, dont buy boxer shrimp....lol....

Marine is a life long learning journey....hehe.....all the best and keep us posted...

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hee hee

Thanks for all the advice. Now take the opportunity to resacp and clean up. change cotton wool, clean skimmer, etc,

guess it also time to rethink what fishes i want to keep.......

any suggestion of good and easy fishes....guess no more angel for a while :unsure:

Hee hee

Thanks for all the advice. Now take the opportunity to resacp and clean up. change cotton wool, clean skimmer, etc,

guess it also time to rethink what fishes i want to keep.......

any suggestion of good and easy fishes....guess no more angel for a while :unsure:

Hi tjlee,

Leaving the current tank like yours without fish for a minimum of 1 month may reduce the parasites to safe levels for u to

refurbish new LS slowly. Cleaning everything to start immediately will not work as the eggs will still be there waiting to

hatch n go for fresh kills.

Here I would like to mention that a particular fish shop has been selling white spot infected fish for more than a month! I

went there last Friday.

Apparently they lack the knowhow to get rid of the parasites other than changing new seawater. U cn see

the keeper using meters to test ph,nitrite, akalinity,etc....he.. he.. he.. while most of the connected tanks are teaming with

new arrivals breathing and scratching heavily n the bigger ones swaying like misguided torpedoes.

The wonderful thing is that initially the white spots may be mistaken for air bubbles from the heavy aeration n by close to

noon, they drop off n settle at the bottom waiting for nightfall to restart n multiply. Fishes bagged n on the way to the new

owners' tanks may have quite a handful of freeloaders waiting to start a new life without having to apply for PR.

Just key in "marine fish for beginners" n u'll get all the info u need. Fishes no matter how good or easy will not live if they're

drug-caught.

Only time will tell....

Finbir.

I had my LS for 18yrs without changing water.

Finbir.

Hi Finbir,

Wat's system are you using :whistle ?

Mind tell us how to maintain a marine tank w/o WC for 18 years :paiseh: ?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Hi Finbir,

Wat's system are you using :whistle ?

Mind tell us how to maintain a marine tank w/o WC for 18 years :paiseh: ?

Well James,

I started out as a novice way back in 1984 when George Smit, a Hollander, showed how reef systems with LS could be kept using the then little known 'overflow system'.(Freshwater n Marine Aq Mag courtesy of National Library). Had to learn to cut glass strips n assembled my own set-up as those on sale at that time cost a bomb. To make a long story short, test kits were few n results assessed was anybody's guess. Being alone n cash-strapped was actually a blessing in disguise. I copied a design shown in FAMA n soon had a diy skimmer operated by a Hi-blow airpump. The inlet to the skimmer was 25mm PVC n gravity fed via the 4x2x20" tank overflow n recirculated via an ext Eheim 50w rotary pump outside the sump. Two Hagen 18w powerheads in the main tank with timers provided the current. Lighting consisted of 6 4'flourescents consisting of a mixture of Triton n Coralife( Also timed to brighten the tank beginning at 9am n ending at 9pm). Due to the reduction in heat output it was possible to cultivate Caulerpa racemorsa n C. sertularoides ,some obtained from Labrador beach but mostly from the old shops at Fish Farm Road 1 n 2 (now razed to the ground n relocated in Pasir Ris Drive 2). After buying all sorts of fishes n realizing that those jerks must be compatible or I'll be drilling holes in my pockets , I slowly came up with a safe plan to ensure their survival (that was during my early years). A modified toilet device in the sump connected via a plastic hose to the toilet flush system ensured evaporated water is constantly replenished (never failed me ). Oh yes, there were electronic sensors to help with topping up at that time.

Finally I settled on more challenging fishes n found that if they weren't caught with drugs (cyanide) many of these scaly beauties will live n grow, albeit slowly.

Thereafter, I rarely visited the fish farms up till they were relocated at the new sites. Then the ich to add new fishes created disaster for me (as mentioned in my earlier posting ). Trouble-shooting my mistakes has made me more able to deal with an emergency. Now life is back to normal. OMT I didn't use a chiller at that time. My current 4-footer has a Teco RA680 to keep the situation cool.

Quite boring isn't it but then .........?

Hope it's useful to u,

Finbir.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Supporter

Hi all, recently my whole LS (mixture of old and new, 2 angels, 1 lionfish, 1 clown, 1 blue tang, 2 damsels, 1 snail, 1 hermit crab) of 2.5 years died too with similar symptoms. Started with cloudy eyes then swollen eyes and tats it. No white spots. Now left with only a tube worm, 1 hermit crab and 1 snail.

The only changed made was 10% of water change with own salt water mixture.

I believe the water is the source of problem. Had even bought salt water from Re-b**n to change another 10% but to no avail. Now, I am thinking of changing the whole tank of water and let it stabilised for a month. Is this a good way to start all over again.

Any advice is most appreciated... thks all...

Sad..... :cry2:

Bro, i believe is your water. Maybe good to make a 50% water change. I have one blue tang with popped eyes. After water changed, the eye resumed back to normal. However, this symptom comes on and off. Finally, it behaved strangely and died mysteriously. Maybe some expert can address the actual cause and illness's name.

For 100% water change, if you have livestock and you manage to adjust the new water to your current water condition, it should alright. However, if you got livestock and unable to match the water condition in your tank, the livestock may get stressed and become weak.

All the best. Thanks.

Hi all, recently my whole LS (mixture of old and new, 2 angels, 1 lionfish, 1 clown, 1 blue tang, 2 damsels, 1 snail, 1 hermit crab) of 2.5 years died too with similar symptoms. Started with cloudy eyes then swollen eyes and tats it. No white spots. Now left with only a tube worm, 1 hermit crab and 1 snail.

The only changed made was 10% of water change with own salt water mixture.

I believe the water is the source of problem. Had even bought salt water from Re-b**n to change another 10% but to no avail. Now, I am thinking of changing the whole tank of water and let it stabilised for a month. Is this a good way to start all over again.

Any advice is most appreciated... thks all...

Sad..... :cry2:

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Supporter
Bro, i believe is your water. Maybe good to make a 50% water change. I have one blue tang with popped eyes. After water changed, the eye resumed back to normal. However, this symptom comes on and off. Finally, it behaved strangely and died mysteriously. Maybe some expert can address the actual cause and illness's name.

For 100% water change, if you have livestock and you manage to adjust the new water to your current water condition, it should alright. However, if you got livestock and unable to match the water condition in your tank, the livestock may get stressed and become weak.

All the best. Thanks.

Thanks bro... will be taking leave to sort this out this friday... at the same time, LONG WEEKEND... so got more time to clean up as well....

• SRC Member
Thanks bro... will be taking leave to sort this out this friday... at the same time, LONG WEEKEND... so got more time to clean up as well....

Hi Bro Mitlancer

don't loose heart....my tank recovered after changing water alternate days for two weeks....seemed to work well. infact my corals did beter and

i bought a few more fishes. All eat and live well.

Up and On bro :rolleyes:

• SRC Supporter
Hi Bro Mitlancer

don't loose heart....my tank recovered after changing water alternate days for two weeks....seemed to work well. infact my corals did beter and

i bought a few more fishes. All eat and live well.

Up and On bro :rolleyes:

Thanks Bro Lee, appreciate your encouragement. Was really sad especially when some of the fishes have been with me for more than 2 years. And my Lionfish was only 1.5 inch and had grown to 3.5 inch liao..... really looking forward to it growing bigger, than disaster happens.

Now, can't wait for Friday, to do a spring cleaning. Noticed, there are alot of white little microscopic creatures crawling on the glass wall n the body of my tube worm... wonder if these are parasites? There are also some small inverte hiding in the loop holes of my Liverocks.......eekkk...