Crab Give Birth in Tank???

Creetin

• SRC Member

hey i have a crab in my tank for a long time, then all of a sudden it disappeared for many weeks i thought it was dead, turned out it was shedding its shell.

so its back now but last night when i was looking there was another crab, same species as it but only smaller. i have never seen it before and i tot how is it possible that the crab gave birth to another one in my tank??? and i tot they use eggs before can give birth

i havent added new corals for a long time.

anyone have the same experience? :eyeblur:

in any case i want to trap both crabs out cos they always walk around tip over my corals.

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member
hey i have a crab in my tank for a long time, then all of a sudden it disappeared for many weeks i thought it was dead, turned out it was shedding its shell.

so its back now but last night when i was looking there was another crab, same species as it but only smaller. i have never seen it before and i tot how is it possible that the crab gave birth to another one in my tank??? and i tot they use eggs before can give birth

i havent added new corals for a long time.

anyone have the same experience? :eyeblur:

in any case i want to trap both crabs out cos they always walk around tip over my corals.

how big are your crab...can topple coral somemore.

if you can catch them, pls let me have them ok

thankyou in advance

• SRC Member
how big are your crab...can topple coral somemore.

if you can catch them, pls let me have them ok

thankyou in advance

its around 2 inch for the mother. the son/daughter i think is around 1 inch. seriously i think there's a hidden colony of them in my tank. but so far i only saw the mom till last nite i saw the kid.

its nt a very nice crab, its black with white patches and red eyes. looks evil but actually gut less and scared of humans.

erm what you going to do with them? u keep crabs?

i intend to free it at west coast park beach, that is if i can catch them. the mother quite smart to avoid my glass trap, even with a stinky see hum in there. :eyeblur:<_<

Crabs are egg layers and most eggs hatch out into nauplii (generic crustacean larvae). The nauplii goes through several instars (stages of larval lives) and the penultimate instar is known as the zoea larva. Some hatch out as more advanced instars taking place at the protozoea and zoea stages. In the postlarval stage, they are known as megalopa.

Creetin, i suspect they have hitchiked into ur tank for a long while and avoided detection. However, please do not release any animals back into the wild as we do not know its identification. This is one potential way of introducing alien species into our local waters that may affect Singapore's native biodiversity. Please do consider my advice.

Hope we can all contribute to being responsible aquarists and promote a positive image for the hobby.

Cheers,

Planula

• SRC Member
Crabs are egg layers and most eggs hatch out into nauplii (generic crustacean larvae). The nauplii goes through several instars (stages of larval lives) and the penultimate instar is known as the zoea larva. Some hatch out as more advanced instars taking place at the protozoea and zoea stages. In the postlarval stage, they are known as megalopa.

Creetin, i suspect they have hitchiked into ur tank for a long while and avoided detection. However, please do not release any animals back into the wild as we do not know its identification. This is one potential way of introducing alien species into our local waters that may affect Singapore's native biodiversity. Please do consider my advice.

Hope we can all contribute to being responsible aquarists and promote a positive image for the hobby.

Cheers,

Planula

the baby one is something new.

yes i am aware of such implications. i can give up for adoption although some reefers may just feed them to their triggers which doesnt present a good outcome as well.

1st let me catch them. they dun seem to like the cockle.s

• 3 weeks later...
the baby one is something new.

yes i am aware of such implications. i can give up for adoption although some reefers may just feed them to their triggers which doesnt present a good outcome as well.

1st let me catch them. they dun seem to like the cockle.s

Use prawns, any angler will be able to tell you that crabs are suckers to prawns, of course your protein skimmer will have to work like crazy.......... unless your crab have got a pHD in 'Escapology'! :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Use prawns, any angler will be able to tell you that crabs are suckers to prawns, of course your protein skimmer will have to work like crazy.......... unless your crab have got a pHD in 'Escapology'! :eyebrow:

problem with prawn is my 6line will eat it 1st.

i need a trigger.

btw the crab is quite large now. around 3inches

problem with prawn is my 6line will eat it 1st.

i need a trigger.

btw the crab is quite large now. around 3inches

Oooooh! That's kinda huge. I tot you've got a trap, I used to cut a mineral water bottle at the top, reverse the top and reinsert the opening back into the bottle body to make it like a trap. Usually the fishes are too big to go in (unless Ghoby and wrasse), put a piece of fish/ prawn in it and half bury the opening into the sand, leaving it overnight. Quite successful for the first couple of crabs, then they got smart and learnt to avoid after awhile.

Your 3"er is too big for this trick, you may have to consider a small spear?

• SRC Member
Oooooh! That's kinda huge. I tot you've got a trap, I used to cut a mineral water bottle at the top, reverse the top and reinsert the opening back into the bottle body to make it like a trap. Usually the fishes are too big to go in (unless Ghoby and wrasse), put a piece of fish/ prawn in it and half bury the opening into the sand, leaving it overnight. Quite successful for the first couple of crabs, then they got smart and learnt to avoid after awhile.

Your 3"er is too big for this trick, you may have to consider a small spear?

ya! 3 inch i think i need some spear or something though i hate to kill it. and its very scared of humans one.

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

as promised the pix before i set him free...

this crab is such a nuisance and has created alot of trouble toppling my rocks! I finally caught him since i dismantle the tank...

real big crab with red eyes...

i cant bear to kill it though so i have set it free :)

post-154-1228589553.jpg

post-154-1228589558.jpg

• 4 months later...