Octracion meleagris

• SRC Member

Hi...was wondering have anyone try keeping the Black Spotted Boxfish.

Is it a easy fish to keep?

Also read that it will sometimes release lethal amounts of their body slime when they die or stress.

How bad will the lethal amounts of the body body slime be, kill the entire tank of fishes?

What if i run carbon .. will it help to remove some of the toxin from the boxfish?

cheers

• SRC Member

BOX FISH GENERALLY FEEDS ON CLAMS AND OTHER MEATY DIET WHICH INCLUDES SHRIMPS

BTW PURACARBON OR ACTIVATED CARBON ARE NOT DIRECTLY MEANT FOR REMOVING SOME TOXIN FROM ANY FISH

SO U R SAYING IF I HAV A FOX FACE I CAN USE CARBON TO REMOVE SOME OF ITS VENOM FROM ITS FINS TOO

Also read that it will sometimes release lethal amounts of their body slime when they die or stress.

How bad will the lethal amounts of the body body slime be, kill the entire tank of fishes?

What if i run carbon .. will it help to remove some of the toxin from the boxfish?

cheers

• SRC Member

toxin works in alot of diff. ways

foxface is trigger by sting. so the poison enter ur bloodstream by sting, just like lionfish.

so that's why foxface and lionfish are safer to keep as it doesn't release poison in the water column.

boxfish otherwise will release toxin into the water column polluting the whole tank.

carbon may remove the toxin but that depends on ur water volume also.

if u have a big water volume, the concentration of the toxin release by the fish will be smaller in terms of ppm. and also calculating by amount of water turnover and amount of carbon u running.

This fact can be proven if u look at the ocean scenario, does one boxfish kill the whole sea of fishes ?

if u have a tank pack fully with fishes, u will suffer a big deal of casualty due to the close proximity of the fishes and direct contact. since the purpose of the toxin is to ward of predator and threats.

it wun be 100percent safe or removal. the effect of it is determine by ur water turnover, water volume, amount of livestock and amount of carbon.

Carbon can removed the toxin or partial of it...even if it does, it will be best likely to do a water change. as trace of it will still remains...even if ur current livestock survive it, ur new livestock(still acclimating) may not be able to take it.

i have seen ppl keeping it in big setup.there is always a risk, just whether u wanna take it or not.

Boxfish is very peaceful fish and doesn't attack or cause trouble. stress usually result when u have very very big fishes or fierce predators.

cheers.

cheers

Kept them before... Very cute fish but try not to keep two or more unless they are paired... I ended up with two dead boxfish when I introduced a new boxfish... The new one is stressed by the old one and got too stress and released its toxin... The whole tank of boxfish, all upside down...

Carbon will remove a partial amount of the toxin released, but normally if it is the adult size black boxfish, it will be too late to save when you realised something wrong... A full water change is reccommended...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
toxin works in alot of diff. ways

foxface is trigger by sting. so the poison enter ur bloodstream by sting, just like lionfish.

so that's why foxface and lionfish are safer to keep as it doesn't release poison in the water column.

boxfish otherwise will release toxin into the water column polluting the whole tank.

carbon may remove the toxin but that depends on ur water volume also.

if u have a big water volume, the concentration of the toxin release by the fish will be smaller in terms of ppm. and also calculating by amount of water turnover and amount of carbon u running.

This fact can be proven if u look at the ocean scenario, does one boxfish kill the whole sea of fishes ?

if u have a tank pack fully with fishes, u will suffer a big deal of casualty due to the close proximity of the fishes and direct contact. since the purpose of the toxin is to ward of predator and threats.

it wun be 100percent safe or removal. the effect of it is determine by ur water turnover, water volume, amount of livestock and amount of carbon.

Carbon can removed the toxin or partial of it...even if it does, it will be best likely to do a water change. as trace of it will still remains...even if ur current livestock survive it, ur new livestock(still acclimating) may not be able to take it.

i have seen ppl keeping it in big setup.there is always a risk, just whether u wanna take it or not.

Boxfish is very peaceful fish and doesn't attack or cause trouble. stress usually result when u have very very big fishes or fierce predators.

cheers.

THANKS...FOR THE INFO ..BRO

• SRC Member
Kept them before... Very cute fish but try not to keep two or more unless they are paired... I ended up with two dead boxfish when I introduced a new boxfish... The new one is stressed by the old one and got too stress and released its toxin... The whole tank of boxfish, all upside down...

Carbon will remove a partial amount of the toxin released, but normally if it is the adult size black boxfish, it will be too late to save when you realised something wrong... A full water change is reccommended...

Okie ...i just got only one adult size boxfish...

was wondering how long u manage to keep it alive?

what did u feed them with?

the tank that u used to keep ur boxfishes is how big?

anyway thanks for the info too

Okie ...i just got only one adult size boxfish...

was wondering how long u manage to keep it alive?

what did u feed them with?

the tank that u used to keep ur boxfishes is how big?

anyway thanks for the info too

I kept twice but of different size...

First time is two 3 inch juvenile black boxfish, feeding on frozen mysis and my homemade food in a 3ft tank with two trigger... This one kept for quite long...

The second time is 1 4 inch adult black boxfish, feeding on frozen mysis in a 2ft tank with other smaller boxfish and cowfish... Less than a month untill the toxin poisoning...

Member of:

• SRC Member
BOX FISH GENERALLY FEEDS ON CLAMS AND OTHER MEATY DIET WHICH INCLUDES SHRIMPS

BTW PURACARBON OR ACTIVATED CARBON ARE NOT DIRECTLY MEANT FOR REMOVING SOME TOXIN FROM ANY FISH

SO U R SAYING IF I HAV A FOX FACE I CAN USE CARBON TO REMOVE SOME OF ITS VENOM FROM ITS FINS TOO

:paiseh: what i mean was when the boxfish release toxin into the water column polluting the whole tank, can i try to use carbon to remove or reduce the toxin,

Not using carbon to REMOVING TOXIN FROM the boxfish .

• SRC Member
anyway, it's a beautiful fish there. haha..can try to take a risk.

they are peaceful on their own but usually cannot tolerate any fishes of the same family.

just as long as u try to keep only one and avoid other aggressive fishes.

all the best. :D

okie...

Fishes that are bigger or the same size compare to my boxfish in my tank are

2 X marine betta.- bigger

1 X PBT.- same size

1 X Blueface angelfish. -same size

So far only my only my blueface angelfish like blocking or trying to chase the boxfish off bt the boxfish seem to stay put and also show ON guard mode.. :D

the only thing i am worries abt is feeding..he seem a little slow to catch food comparing to my fishes in my tank... :unsure:

okie...

Fishes that are bigger or the same size compare to my boxfish in my tank are

2 X marine betta.- bigger

1 X PBT.- same size

1 X Blueface angelfish. -same size

So far only my only my blueface angelfish like blocking or trying to chase the boxfish off bt the boxfish seem to stay put and also show ON guard mode.. :D

the only thing i am worries abt is feeding..he seem a little slow to catch food comparing to my fishes in my tank... :unsure:

The marine betta will do fine... But the pbt and blueface will pose a problem for the boxfish... when it comes to feeding... they are quite slow in feeding at first, but after sometime they will react to food quite readily.. My one used to fight with the trigger for the mysis cube... You will be amazed at how fast they swim when it comes to feeding..

Member of:

• SRC Member
The marine betta will do fine... But the pbt and blueface will pose a problem for the boxfish... when it comes to feeding... they are quite slow in feeding at first, but after sometime they will react to food quite readily.. My one used to fight with the trigger for the mysis cube... You will be amazed at how fast they swim when it comes to feeding..

Okie.. so u keep ur boxfishes only with trigger only ...or there are another fishes?

by the way u said that u manage to keep the first 3inch boxfish for some time , how long was it mths? and also what trigger did u keep ur boxfish with?

i am also looking for trigger that are not so aggressive.

Okie.. so u keep ur boxfishes only with trigger only ...or there are another fishes?

by the way u said that u manage to keep the first 3inch boxfish for some time , how long was it mths? and also what trigger did u keep ur boxfish with?

i am also looking for trigger that are not so aggressive.

No other fishes... Only 1 black niger trigger, 1 pinktail trigger and one tassle filefish... All get a long with the boxfish...

Kept them for quite long liao cant really remember, maybe a 3-6 months before losing all of them to ich... They are very suspecible to ich..

For non-aggresive trigger, you can try Melichthys indicus, Melichthys niger, Xanthichthys auromarginatus, Melichthys vidua... These are the few i willreccommend...

Member of:

I'm thinking of keeping one box pish, with 2 true perc. :D

Anyone know where to buy the black one?

You must be sure that you are able to moniter the boxfish for the first few week to see any abnormal behavior and train it to feeding...

For small one, you can try Coralfarm, they bring in from time to time, they have adult one too... Can call auntie to ask...

For adult one, can try ah beng, iwarna and pac marine... Not very common thou..

Member of:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I been able to keep the boxfish alive for 12 days already..but the funny thing is that when i feed my fishes,it dont seem to be eating...or interested.

But somehow is alive y?

Also heard from a reefer that they might graze on algae on the LR ...that y it still alive..how true?

I been able to keep the boxfish alive for 12 days already..but the funny thing is that when i feed my fishes,it dont seem to be eating...or interested.

But somehow is alive y?

Also heard from a reefer that they might graze on algae on the LR ...that y it still alive..how true?

Dun think they will graze on algae, haven seen them do that yet... Sometimes maybe you have a few small pcs of food that might float to it so it is possible that he might have gotten some of the leftover...

Member of:

• SRC Member
Dun think they will graze on algae, haven seen them do that yet... Sometimes maybe you have a few small pcs of food that might float to it so it is possible that he might have gotten some of the leftover...

maybe u are right..i feed alot of food to my fishes, maybe it got some leftover..haha

• SRC Member

if it doesn't eat, u should take note of it. becos normally fishes can survive for weeks without feeding and just died one day. just my own past experience. :) i know that boxfish does feed slower but try to see it eating will be a better assurance after all. :)

• SRC Member

My own experience in keeping cow boxfish but should be similar. It's a slow swimmer so you need to throw more food otherwise the faster fishes will snatch the food away. It's also prone to nipping your feather worms. Its a cute little fish, but unfortunately, my died because it got bullied by my moorish idol :cry2: