Keeping Fish Alive without filtration??

Circus Tank

Hi Gurus,

Would anyone of you be in the position to suggest ideas to keep fish (only fish) alive without any supply of electricity?

I am thinking of making a tank which can sustain fish for about 2 weeks without any electricity supply - after which, the fishes would immediately be transferred to a tank with all the necessary supplies like food, air pump, proper filtration etc etc..

The water in the during this 2 weeks would be chilled to about 15 degrees celcius, so the reef fishes might probably be in a state of semi-stasis. - right? or what is a good temprature to get reef fishes to go into "semi-stasis"..?

I am quite confident that the fish would probably survive 2 weeks without feeding, but my 2 main concerns without any electricity supply to the tank are:

1) oxygen supply

2) filtration - i just need to keep the ammonia in check.

If I am lucky, I MIGHT get away with the 1st problem using oxidators (hydrogen peroxide & catalyst).

I am thinking of using Zeolites (circulating the tank's water with the bubbling from the oxidator) to bind the amonia & perhaps nitrates - can anyone suggest where to get zeolite for marine?

Any other ideas for a tank with such unique limitations?

Your opinions are most appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi Gurus,

Would anyone of you be in the position to suggest ideas to keep fish (only fish) alive without any supply of electricity?

I am thinking of making a tank which can sustain fish for about 2 weeks without any electricity supply - after which, the fishes would immediately be transferred to a tank with all the necessary supplies like food, air pump, proper filtration etc etc..

The water in the during this 2 weeks would be chilled to about 15 degrees celcius, so the reef fishes might probably be in a state of semi-stasis. - right? or what is a good temprature to get reef fishes to go into "semi-stasis"..?

I am quite confident that the fish would probably survive 2 weeks without feeding, but my 2 main concerns without any electricity supply to the tank are:

1) oxygen supply

2) filtration - i just need to keep the ammonia in check.

If I am lucky, I MIGHT get away with the 1st problem using oxidators (hydrogen peroxide & catalyst).

I am thinking of using Zeolites (circulating the tank's water with the bubbling from the oxidator) to bind the amonia & perhaps nitrates - can anyone suggest where to get zeolite for marine?

Any other ideas for a tank with such unique limitations?

Your opinions are most appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi, a unique thing u wanna do. Why do u wanna do this in the first place? As in, keep the fish in a tank without electricity, no feeding etc for 2 wks, thereafter transfer to a normal tank?

Anyway, u can get zeolites from AM. It's from ARGENT (the brand of cyclopeeze), and the name of the zeolite is AMMONEX. Quite cheap also.

Hi, a unique thing u wanna do. Why do u wanna do this in the first place? As in, keep the fish in a tank without electricity, no feeding etc for 2 wks, thereafter transfer to a normal tank?

Anyway, u can get zeolites from AM. It's from ARGENT (the brand of cyclopeeze), and the name of the zeolite is AMMONEX. Quite cheap also.

Hey Drato, thank you very much for your inputs!

Actually, I do not know why i need to do this too.. it's a challenge posed by a friend. He is not ready to tell me the reason yet, but I believe it ccould be along the lines of him being able to catch some reef fish and keeping them in such a tank for holding 1st, before he could get them to better conditions.

So, I just want to focus on the possible ways of keeping the fish alive under such limitations, instead of delving too deeply into the reason behind needing to do this.

Drato, have you tried Ammonex for reefing..? Or is there anyone else who has used zeolites with success to reduce ammonia in an inhabited tank environment (fish only)?

Cheers!

Hey Drato, thank you very much for your inputs!

Actually, I do not know why i need to do this too.. it's a challenge posed by a friend. He is not ready to tell me the reason yet, but I believe it ccould be along the lines of him being able to catch some reef fish and keeping them in such a tank for holding 1st, before he could get them to better conditions.

So, I just want to focus on the possible ways of keeping the fish alive under such limitations, instead of delving too deeply into the reason behind needing to do this.

Drato, have you tried Ammonex for reefing..? Or is there anyone else who has used zeolites with success to reduce ammonia in an inhabited tank environment (fish only)?

Cheers!

??? ... if you catch reef fishes and away on a boat or something, just use battery operated air-pumps ... carry enough batteries to last the duration back. Meanwhile, change fresh seawater 2 times a day (to get rid of ammonia). Kinda straight forward enough.

If it is for air-shipment of fishes, just Oxygen pumped into plastic bags ... that's how wholesaler ships their fishes to you, those that you buy at LFS.

• SRC Member

bro...u using live creatures to conduct this so called experiments and challenge to prove yourself? what kind of theory is that...imagine..me keeping u in a room and experimenting all sorts of surviving tech...can u take it?

be kind to animals....which includes.....fish....

no offense..but i strongly....discouraged you to TAKE THIS CHALLENGE! STop all these ego thing...and treasure periouse lives...

:D