Seahorse Behaviour

Ophiel

Hi all,

I'm a seahorse n00b and a great deal of their behaviour perplexes me. My tank is more than a month in age, has live rocks, live sand and corals which actually survive. I bought a seahorse yesterday from Jireh, and I noticed that it tends to slump down amidst my bamboo when it hooks there. Sometimes it even sort of lays on the sand and doesn't move. It is breathing, its eyes are also quite alert and it ate brine shrimp today (haven't had time to pick up mysid). Is this behaviour normal? What sort of other behaviours do they exhibit that are strange?

I have 4 SHes, they d'ont swim 2 much always need to hang itself to something. I put a mangrove

branch this provide many anchoring possibilities. 1 is a bit lonely at least so they can play hook my

tail game. My tank is relatively small with 4 sh, a mandarin Good pairing a yellow watch goby and a

mini peacook lion. the gobies clear food at the bottom, sh at the upper region lion everywhere.

Should not mix the sh with other greedy feeding fishes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You sure you have a lion fish in your tank with your seahorse and gobies?

I think they will be your lion fish's food soon, when the lion fish get big enough.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think a lion fish is a no no if your other fishes are smaller than the lion fish.

cheers,

I have 4 SHes, they d'ont swim 2 much always need to hang itself to something. I put a mangrove

branch this provide many anchoring possibilities. 1 is a bit lonely at least so they can play hook my

tail game. My tank is relatively small with 4 sh, a mandarin Good pairing a yellow watch goby and a

mini peacook lion. the gobies clear food at the bottom, sh at the upper region lion everywhere.

Should not mix the sh with other greedy feeding fishes.

Hi, i'm very new to marine setup too...but did survey tat my tank is insufficient to keep some kind of livestock like corals and anemone but still okay for fishes..i'm looking at keeping SH too..my tank is 15" by 10" by 13"..keeping demsels, clown, starfish and a shrimp...can have them together with SH? and also that the tank is in my room wif no sunlight penetrating, what else i can feed my starfish with? i dun wan to get too high of the electric consumption, thus i'm not using any chiller n skimmer too...anyone can give too advise? basically i only gain those knowledges by book and aquarium owner with this tank..really need help further.. :unsure:

• 4 months later...
Hi, i'm very new to marine setup too...but did survey tat my tank is insufficient to keep some kind of livestock like corals and anemone but still okay for fishes..i'm looking at keeping SH too..my tank is 15" by 10" by 13"..keeping demsels, clown, starfish and a shrimp...can have them together with SH? and also that the tank is in my room wif no sunlight penetrating, what else i can feed my starfish with? i dun wan to get too high of the electric consumption, thus i'm not using any chiller n skimmer too...anyone can give too advise? basically i only gain those knowledges by book and aquarium owner with this tank..really need help further.. :unsure:

I am facing the same question as you... Hope someone can advise as i wish to keep a SH too.

I am facing the same question as you... Hope someone can advise as i wish to keep a SH too.

firstly should not have too many fishes, as moving fishes

will grab what ever food you meant for the SH, so the SH

got no chance of getting fed. I have 4 SH and a mandarin,

probably a sand dwelling goby to pick lefted over food at the

bottom. My horse feeds on frozen and live brine, mysis.

Switch pump to minimize the flow. wash away food.

Provide plenty of hangs on, i have a tree of mangrove roots.

They use to play tag of war with their tails it's OK.

Sufficient flow but not strong waves.