Lots of worms seen dead after adding live sand

Hi all, need some advice here.

I am cycling my tank. I added coral sand, and salt water. I let it run for about a week, then added in live rocks and live sand. after that, I noticed a lot of worms everywhere, and many dead.

Did I do something wrong in the steps of setting up the tank?

Thanks.

• SRC Member
I see, thanks. When u mentioned changing water, how many % do I need to change? Thanks again.

Different people have different water changing habits.. last time when I do cycling, I change about 20-30% every few days until my cycling is completed.

For maintainence, I change 5-10% weekly after that :)

• SRC Member
I see, thanks. When u mentioned changing water, how many % do I need to change? Thanks again.

do a 20 or 30% water change after cycling will be gd....after water change, check for water perimeters one more time. if everything on track, u may begin stocking up, but stock up slowly....patience is the key to success.......never rush to fill up ur tank

During cycling with LR, I always like to have a shrimp or 2 to help in the area cleaning. :eyebrow:

looks like water is clear now! worms all decomposed and the foul smell has gone away. Now left with tiny bubbles in the water, which seems to be clearing slowing. seeing less of it after 2-3 days. Hopefully, all the bubbles would go away, and then i will test the water for the ANN etc!

Cheers!

looks like water is clear now! worms all decomposed and the foul smell has gone away. Now left with tiny bubbles in the water, which seems to be clearing slowing. seeing less of it after 2-3 days. Hopefully, all the bubbles would go away, and then i will test the water for the ANN etc!

Cheers!

Great to hear that!

Btw, do you have an overflow system? I am just a goondu guessing that you might not?

I had set my venturi pump to the skimmer to draw water from near the surface, creating a small vortex, bringing in all the protein and stuff into the skimmer. Maybe you can try that for the time being until it clears out? Noticed that this clears the protein in the water and on the surface much faster than leaving the pump in the tank itself.

• SRC Member

Cheers!

Do a water change and test again. Last time I did the same thing as you, but did not change water. Later whatever LS that I added in all died even though I tested everything was ok. Sometimes the LR leach other poisonous stuff into the water during curing :sick:

• SRC Member
Do a water change and test again. Last time I did the same thing as you, but did not change water. Later whatever LS that I added in all died even though I tested everything was ok. Sometimes the LR leach other poisonous stuff into the water during curing :sick:

did u run carbon during cycling? think that will help absorb some bad stuff also

• SRC Member

I supposed I did. Was new to marine then and everything was advised by the shop... so learn the hard way lor <_<