OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

i like burgess hybrids because of the yellow eye band.

the yellow-black crown on the head is not so much fantastic, but those yellower ones really look akin to flavocoronatus.

actually there are yellow-eye band burgess in some parts of the world where burgess does not meet tinkeri or flavocoronatus. it's a very rare variant. this also however means that the black band on the head is super black since it's not a hybrid, just a variant.

i like.

I've not seen the yellow eye band burgess pics before. Maybe u can post here of one.

But there are a lot of burgess hybrids pics already on the net. Some crown more yellow some more black. But their eye band are all yellow, which is the evidence of hybridization w tinker / flavo butterfly

post-10328-031911300 1291255799_thumb.jp

post-10328-083091100 1291255807_thumb.jp

post-10328-038361400 1291255814_thumb.jp

post-10328-005318000 1291255822_thumb.jp

post-10328-056497300 1291255903_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

I've not seen the yellow eye band burgess pics before. Maybe u can post here of one.

But there are a lot of burgess hybrids pics already on the net. Some crown more yellow some more black. But their eye band are all yellow, which is the evidence of hybridization w tinker / flavo butterfly

3rd and 4th pic looks VERY much like flavocoronatus!

i'll post pics of the yellow eye pure burgess soon.

• Senior Reefer

many of these "hybrid burgessi" have been found in tarawa and gilbert islands. but tinkeri and flavocoronatus are NOT found here.

so these are possibly just variants with yellower crowns. unlike the real hybrids in marshalls.

post-15755-000909700 1291256566_thumb.jp

this pure burgess with yellow eye band was found in Japan.

the headband is black and in japan, tinkeri and flavo is not found. so this is a pure burgess with a pure yellow eye bar!

This is prob an individual variant and not a geographical variant. Tat means finding another fish like this is gg to be v v hard.

Anyway it looks a bit like mitratus.

• Senior Reefer

This is prob an individual variant and not a geographical variant. Tat means finding another fish like this is gg to be v v hard.

Anyway it looks a bit like mitratus.

dr. tanaka reported seeing more than one of these!

meaning that maybe there's a small population in japan that are this variant.

but still i agree with you that it's probably very small and impossible to obtain.

and yah. look like mitratus.

dr. tanaka reported seeing more than one of these!

meaning that maybe there's a small population in japan that are this variant.

but still i agree with you that it's probably very small and impossible to obtain.

and yah. look like mitratus.

Even if there's a small population, can forget about it entering the trade, cos it's in Japan! Anything in Japan is v hard to get shipped out.

Might as well get a mitratus, nicer. The mitratus at CF has grown on me, has been thinking abt it for a couple of days whenever i think of the tinker. If my big tank is still around, i may have gotten both of them! Roaps are hard to resist for any butterfly lover!

• Senior Reefer

Even if there's a small population, can forget about it entering the trade, cos it's in Japan! Anything in Japan is v hard to get shipped out.

Might as well get a mitratus, nicer. The mitratus at CF has grown on me, has been thinking abt it for a couple of days whenever i think of the tinker. If my big tank is still around, i may have gotten both of them! Roaps are hard to resist for any butterfly lover!

Oh? Mitratus? U like mitratus meh? In glad u like it cox it's the most different of all the roaps and one of the most beautiful. Yes who can resist roaps??! Hardy, and beautiful and so easy

Oh? Mitratus? U like mitratus meh? In glad u like it cox it's the most different of all the roaps and one of the most beautiful. Yes who can resist roaps??! Hardy, and beautiful and so easy

I like tinker the most. Mitratus not bad, but i wont think of it alone. I'll think of LCK tinker first, den flashes of mitratus at CF will appear.

Interesting and rare fishes from Old Town Aquarium:

Pseudanthias Privitera

Liopropoma Africanum

Serranus Phoebe

Rusty Flame Hybrid

Burgess Hybrid

Aberrant Blue Tang - Blue

Aberrant Blue Tang - Black

Stripeless Melanopus Clown

Unknown Hybrid Clown

Xanthic Undulated Trigger

Famous Tigerpyge

post-10328-037643500 1291267926_thumb.jp

post-10328-038642900 1291267934_thumb.jp

post-10328-062001900 1291267947_thumb.jp

post-10328-046255100 1291268008_thumb.jp

post-10328-038407100 1291268018_thumb.jp

post-10328-060553000 1291268043_thumb.jp

post-10328-035908400 1291268054_thumb.jp

post-10328-037070800 1291268082_thumb.jp

post-10328-073186700 1291268094_thumb.jp

post-10328-090744700 1291268104_thumb.jp

post-10328-051647900 1291268117_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Interesting and rare fishes from Old Town Aquarium:

Pseudanthias Privitera

Liopropoma Africanum

Serranus Phoebe

Rusty Flame Hybrid

Burgess Hybrid

Aberrant Blue Tang - Blue

Aberrant Blue Tang - Black

Stripeless Melanopus Clown

Unknown Hybrid Clown

Xanthic Undulated Trigger

Famous Tigerpyge

Holy shit

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus johnsoni trio offered for sale in LADD for 1.3k USD.

Price has dropped in the U.S since they first appeared at for LADD to offer 1.3k for three, that's good deal already.

other LFS in US are selling at $200 USD/ johnson's fairy.

so the price is steadily dropping.

Once the U.S and Japan market becomes saturated, we can expect to see Johnson' fairy wrasse slowly trickling into the Singapore market (Hopefully).

post-15755-057808700 1291384813_thumb.pn

• Senior Reefer

Here-forth is a list of fairy wrasses that are available in other parts of the world but not available in Singapore. Some of them have came in before but very sporadically and no-where near common.

These are rare locally but can be obtained from other countries or sources. (IF you have your connections and can pull some strings, all of these wrasses are obtainable). I label these wrasses as being the "obtainable of the unobtainables". A twilight zone between the obtainables and totally unobtainables.

Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis (Orange-back fairy wrasse) - Very cheap fish and abundant in Sumatra. Occasionally seen in other countries overseas but never comes to Singapore. Brought in once by Harlequin marine many years ago. Local status - Unavailable. Price - High tens, below hundred.

Cirrhilabrus cf. morrisoni (Balinese fairy wrasse) - NEW SPECIES, UNDESCRIBED. Very rare in all parts of the world. A few have shown up here and there but mainly in Japan. Found in Bali but never appear in Singapore before. Local status - Unavailable. Price - Unknown.

Cirrhilabrus earlei (Earl's fairy wrasse) - Very rare in all parts of the world. Never appear in Singapore. Collected only from Palau. The only place that offers the Earl's fairy wrasse is Bluehabour of Osaka, Japan. Obtainable locally? Impossible. Obtainable by export and connections via Japan? Yes. Local status - Unavailable. Price - $1k +- / fish.

Cirrhilabrus johnsoni (Johnson's fairy wrasse) - Once used to be unobtainable, it's being collected again so the world is seeing the Kwajalein atoll endemic once again. Appear in Singapore only once but it has been sold :). Collected only by Brian Greene in Kwajalein, Marshalls. Japan and U.S getting alot of them lately. Local status - Debut appearance one time. Price - Locally, 1k for a pair. Overseas variable but in the range of few hundreds forone.

Cirrhilabrus lunatus (Crescent tail fairy wrasse) - Very rare in all parts of the world. Only seen in Japan and collected there. Obtainable if you import from Japan. Local status - Forget it. Unavailable. Price - Few hundred dollars. Low-range.

Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus (Pintail fairy wrasse) - NEW SPECIES, UNDESCRIBED. Super rare in all parts of the world, Japan and U.S being the only 2 countries with substantial importing power. Only a handful, not many. Obtainable if you request and ship from Japan. Local status - Obtainable with alot of patience and luck. Price - Few hundred, low range.

Cirrhilabrus roseafascia (Rose-banded fairy wrasse) - Common in the U.S and Japan, very very rare in Singapore, only came in 3 times. Imported from Cebu in the states. Locally, none have been imported from Cebu. Obtainable if you wait. Local status - Obtainable so far only from Vanuatu and once from LCK's mixed shipment. Price - Few hundred, low range.

Cirrhilabrus sp. 1 Nahackyi's fairy wrasse) - NEW SPECIES, UNDESCRIBED. Very rare in all parts of the world, U.S and Japan have seen a handful. None have arrived in Singapore. Local status - May appear from LCK's mixed shipment. Price - unknown.

Cirrhilabrus tonozukai (Tono's fairy wrasse) - Very rare in all parts of the world. Used to be very common in Japan and U.S but lately have become very rare. Found in Indonesia and Malaysia. You would think that with them being so near, we can see them. Fat chance.Local status - Unobtainable as of now. Price - Cheap.

Cirrhilabrus katherinae (Katherine's fairy wrasse) - Super rare in all parts of the world. Never appear in Singapore. Collected from Guam and rarely, Japan. A few American reefers and Japanese reefers have the Katherine's fairy wrasse, but lately they have not been appearing due to shortage of Guam shipments. Local status - Unavailable. Price - Unknown.

post-15755-004091200 1291385188_thumb.jp

post-15755-065314900 1291385250_thumb.jp

post-15755-057223500 1291385352_thumb.jp

post-15755-080167800 1291385429.txt

post-15755-099625800 1291385509_thumb.jp

post-15755-027820700 1291385633_thumb.jp

post-15755-044732100 1291385697_thumb.jp

post-15755-042388400 1291385792_thumb.jp

post-15755-043011700 1291385884_thumb.jp

post-15755-057926500 1291385978_thumb.jp

5 years ago the rare fairy wrasses we are talking about are rhomboid, lineatus and hooded.

Now today all the three mentioned above are so common and the rare ones we are talking about are johnsoni, lunatus and earlei!

Cirrhilabrus johnsoni trio offered for sale in LADD for 1.3k USD.

Price has dropped in the U.S since they first appeared at for LADD to offer 1.3k for three, that's good deal already.

other LFS in US are selling at $200 USD/ johnson's fairy.

so the price is steadily dropping.

Once the U.S and Japan market becomes saturated, we can expect to see Johnson' fairy wrasse slowly trickling into the Singapore market (Hopefully).

When there is only a single collector for the fish, the price will drop, but will not drop by a lot. Much like clarion angel, price has dropped but now still maintained at a high 2.5k to 3k minimum. Some more Brian Greene is v unpredictable, he is a researcher and not a fish dealer, so dunno when's the next time he may suddenly announce retirement again. But now tat he has returned, hope he collect more and more johnsoni and bell's flasher and flood the whole world with these fishes. After tat he can go back to palau and collect earlei and Belonoperca pylei again for the japanese market.

• Senior Reefer

5 years ago the rare fairy wrasses we are talking about are rhomboid, lineatus and hooded.

Now today all the three mentioned above are so common and the rare ones we are talking about are johnsoni, lunatus and earlei!

Lineatus, rhomboid and batyphilus are so common now.

I don't even bat an eyelid at them anymore. LCK can bring in 50+ lineatus and so many rhomboids and 20 hooded.

but yet still have people rushing over them like crazy.

common but still very popular.

post-15755-040919500 1291391067_thumb.jp

post-15755-087900800 1291391076_thumb.jp

post-15755-011435400 1291391085_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

rhomboid, lineatus and hooded have been dethroned liao.

marjorie, pintail and johnsoni has taken over.

all three are sporadically appearing in the trade, just like how lineatus, rhomboid and hooded used to do when they first appeared. soon all three will be heavily collected and maybe one day, they will become as common as the former musketeers.

johnsoni will replace rhomboid, since both found in the marshalls.

marjorie will replace hooded, both are found in close to each other. Fiji has no hooded but still, location wise, very similar.

pintail will replace lineatus although not same range.

out of the three, marjorie is the cheapest and most common and readily available.

post-15755-002683700 1291391650_thumb.jp

post-15755-077806500 1291391667_thumb.jp

post-15755-014741800 1291391675_thumb.jp

Lineatus, rhomboid and batyphilus are so common now.

I don't even bat an eyelid at them anymore. LCK can bring in 50+ lineatus and so many rhomboids and 20 hooded.

but yet still have people rushing over them like crazy.

common but still very popular.

They are popular becos they are one of the few more spectacular of fairy wrasses. Obtainable and beautiful, easy(except for rhomboid) and not overly expensive. They will continue to be average reefers' favourites.

• Senior Reefer

They are popular becos they are one of the few more spectacular of fairy wrasses. Obtainable and beautiful, easy(except for rhomboid) and not overly expensive. They will continue to be average reefers' favourites.

rhomboids don't look nice unless they are very very big. even then, the colour of rhomboid is not much to wow about. it's generally a pale fish unless kept in a deep water setting.

lineatus will just grow obese and turn black.

hooded is the nicest out of the three. there's nothing to complain about. it's the perfect fairy.

i like all three but lineatus has always been my least favourite.

look at all these obese and black lineatus! omg.

post-15755-079453000 1291392141_thumb.jp

post-15755-027301000 1291392179_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

look at these rhomboids.

some of the best i've ever seen. the tail is very long and beautiful and the colour is wow. but this is stress colour so cannot trust.

this size is also super difficult. 8/10 will die from decompression or swim bladder problems.

post-15755-035158800 1291392256_thumb.jp

look at these rhomboids.

some of the best i've ever seen. the tail is very long and beautiful and the colour is wow. but this is stress colour so cannot trust.

this size is also super difficult. 8/10 will die from decompression or swim bladder problems.

This is the stressed colour and is not real.

When it calms down it'll be like this below, a submale colouration. Like lineatus can be quite disappointing.

post-10328-022311600 1291393213_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

This is the stressed colour and is not real.

When it calms down it'll be like this below, a submale colouration. Like lineatus can be quite disappointing.

the one i show is alpha male la haha.

the tail super long liao.

but majority of rhomboids look like the one you posted.

this is the same rhomboid as the one i posted in the net.

look at how much different it has become once settled down?

its a very gorgeous alpha male but the colour is just so bleh.

post-15755-058950500 1291393672_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

rhomboid is very special.

it's the most beautiful when stressed.

look at this one being held up. IT'S EMITTING IT'S FLASHING COLOUR!! no other fairy wrasse will show "nuptial colours" when stressed.

nuptial rhomboid will have purple tail, yellow body and a purple band in the middle.

below is a real flashing rhomboid.

see the colour! identical omg.

post-15755-062584300 1291393749_thumb.jp

post-15755-014396600 1291393886_thumb.jp