RedSea Berlin Protien Skimmer

Acanthurus pyroferus

• SRC Member

Acanthurus pyroferus.. did u run the skimmer with it's original Rio pump or a modified pump? Mine seems to underperform w/o any mod! Therefore I had to mod the pump. maybe the HOT version I using is more sensitive and needs a stronger pump???? Read in reefcentral, those ang mo change to a much stronger pump and use a third party Kent venturi valve to boost the performance.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Acanthurus pyroferus.. did u run the skimmer with it's original Rio pump or a modified pump? Mine seems to underperform w/o any mod! Therefore I had to mod the pump. maybe the HOT version I using is more sensitive and needs a stronger pump???? Read in reefcentral, those ang mo change to a much stronger pump and use a third party Kent venturi valve to boost the performance.

Hi Joolye....

The RSB came without a pump so I got an Eheim 1262 which runs at 3400 lits then it's required 2500lits.

I never modified mine but increased the output and it's currently working well for me. You can go as high as you want to acheive the kind of foam fraction you require. Check your salinity too if you can..... :D

• SRC Member

hi guys,finally got my red sea berlin yesterday.problem is,it flooded when i switched on my 4000l/h pump.there is no control valve on the skimmer so i installed a control valve on the pump.now the foam is at the level of the skimmer neck but i dun see any foam or skimmate comming up and into the collection cup.so my q is,wats the idea water,bubble level in the skimmer?and does it needs to break in even when its a used product?

• SRC Member
hi guys,finally got my red sea berlin yesterday.problem is,it flooded when i switched on my 4000l/h pump.there is no control valve on the skimmer so i installed a control valve on the pump.now the foam is at the level of the skimmer neck but i dun see any foam or skimmate comming up and into the collection cup.so my q is,wats the idea water,bubble level in the skimmer?and does it needs to break in even when its a used product?

Hi Bro

Sorry :off:.

Can you pm me how much you pay for the skimmer and where did you get it?

Thank you.

• SRC Member

You've got PM.... ;)

• SRC Member

you guys should use a eheim canister filter 2213 man!! I;m running it on my 7footer!! damn good..taking out lots of dirt in the water and i'm positively sure it is also removing DOC when i maintain the filter regularly!!..skimmers are good..i'm not saying they are bad..definitely good, be it RSB or H&S or even SHE but becoz i dun own them and i own a 2213, i insist, mine is just as good and it serve me well!!! Gimme 10 yrs..i'll show u results!! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
you guys should use a eheim canister filter 2213 man!! I;m running it on my 7footer!! damn good..taking out lots of dirt in the water and i'm positively sure it is also removing DOC when i maintain the filter regularly!!..skimmers are good..i'm not saying they are bad..definitely good, be it RSB or H&S or even SHE but becoz i dun own them and i own a 2213, i insist, mine is just as good and it serve me well!!! Gimme 10 yrs..i'll show u results!! :rolleyes:

Alvy, one needle see blood huh :blink::evil::lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

As i mentioned before, my uncle's tank runnin w/o skimmer, filtration, basically nuthin....juz LRs, lots of fishes, MH, two powerhead in tank. cannot remember got corals ornt. And tank is older tat src stubborn boy. :evil:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

hey..i mean it..no sour grapes man! Just try one..trust me..once you spend some good $$ on this product, you'll see the goodness..hey..i'm not trying to affect ur decision here!!..my 7ft plus 6ft sump is looking cleaner everyday! i'll out in 10 tangs when i can!!

• SRC Member

Yup, no joke. Uncle of mine has been keepin marine for 30 over yrs. Remember seein them over at my grandma place donkey yrs back when i m 5...floatin glass hrdrometer, lionfish, starfish....etc. Tat time got skimmer? Dun remember seein anythin of tat sort :blink:

His current tank tat had been with him, think abt 15yrs. System runnin as mentioned above. No skimmer, infact no filtration at all. Juz topup water to cover evaporation. Even offered me bottles of addictives which i rejected... think they must have expired long time <_< .

Dun feed fish? i highly doubt so, how they gonna survive w/o food. :lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• SRC Member
Yup, no joke. Uncle of mine has been keepin marine for 30 over yrs. Remember seein them over at my grandma place donkey yrs back when i m 5...floatin glass hrdrometer, lionfish, starfish....etc. Tat time got skimmer? Dun remember seein anythin of tat sort :blink:

His current tank tat had been with him, think abt 15yrs. System runnin as mentioned above. No skimmer, infact no filtration at all. Juz topup water to cover evaporation. Even offered me bottles of addictives which i rejected... think they must have expired long time <_< .

Dun feed fish? i highly doubt so, how they gonna survive w/o food. :lol:

heard alot of stories about not changing water and marine fishes still living for many , many years and with LFS claiming can start marine system after 3 days or so sounds familar running a tank without a protien skimmer.....maybe there was an abundance of nitrifying bacteria to lower the DOC's other wise it's hard to belive because at those times I remember my uncle too keeping marines with just freshwater and saltmix and the inhabitants never lasted more then 30 yrs..... :blink:

I guess the only way to keep DOC's down were not to feed fishes food because back then there was never a thought of changing water weekly let alone keeping it for months or replacing the inhabitants to look like they were healthy and alive year after year..... :lol:

• SRC Member

heard alot of stories about not changing water and marine fishes still living for many , many years and with LFS claiming can start marine system after 3 days or so sounds familar running a tank without a protien skimmer.....maybe there was an abundance of nitrifying bacteria to lower the DOC's other wise it's hard to belive because at those times I remember my uncle too keeping marines with just freshwater and saltmix and the inhabitants never lasted more then 30 yrs..... :blink:

I guess the only way to keep DOC's down were not to feed fishes food because back then there was never a thought of changing water weekly let alone keeping it for months or replacing the inhabitants to look like they were healthy and alive year after year..... :lol:

To keep them for 30 yrs is abit far-fetched. Even i, find it hard to believe fishes tat can live tat long. I have seen my uncle's tank the first time over at his new house when he did his housewarmin many yrs back (married and move out of my grandparent place). Hmm.....didn't really take note of the LS in there then. But couple of yrs backs due to this hobby have started takin note of the LS in his tank. Infact 2 eels he kept has been with him for yrs, very easily regonised due to some marking found on their body. To him is, anythin tat he added and survived the first 3 days will survive. Of coz he went thru the proper cycling tat was dn so many yrs ago...and whether he had any casualities durin the initial pharse> tat i dun knw but i believe his tank has oreadi matured until cannot mature. And tats may explain y he nvr use skimmer or is there a skimmer to start off with 15yrs back. Btw....durin his time dun think there is PS in the market yet. Seen him havin salt mix over at his place but how often he change water, i also dunno but i highly doubt he did it oftenly coz he still got his birds, planted tank, freshwater fishes and dogs to look after OR mayb its the maid tat do all these :lol: . Its a small little pet shop to me :P

Btw its not surprising tat ur uncle's fishes died due to the fact tat he juz mixed water and salt and tats it.

30yrs back and pple r keepin marine w/o all these hi-tech equipments and the LS last so we cannot commend tat a PS is a must. Juz like we can survive w/o Internet 30yrs back coz there isn't such a thing then doesn't mean we cannot survive w/o it now rite ;):lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg