Hydor Wave Maker for 2FT Marine Tank

Hi guys,

Is it suitable to place in a Hydor Wave Maker into my 2FT Tank (with mild sand bed)?

I have placed this guy since yesterday night and found two casulties this morning, sticking to the side of the wavemaker. Is it due to the initial wave-making process, these casualties died? Also I notice, other 3 fishes (mainly are clowns) are not eating as per normal....just wondering, is it due to this wave maker?

Content of my 2FT Tank:-

1 x clearnr shrimp

4 x anemones

3 x clowns

1 x yellow watchman gorby

2 x fire gorby (just put in yesterday)

2 x tube worms

2 x turbo snails

4kg of live rock

Hopefully tonight the rest of fishes are still alive..I will post a picture over here tomorrow too..but now, I need to know is, is it not advisable to have a wave-maker to be placed in a 2FT marine tank????

Thanks...

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

Is it suitable to place in a Hydor Wave Maker into my 2FT Tank (with mild sand bed)?

I have placed this guy since yesterday night and found two casulties this morning, sticking to the side of the wavemaker. Is it due to the initial wave-making process, these casualties died? Also I notice, other 3 fishes (mainly are clowns) are not eating as per normal....just wondering, is it due to this wave maker?

1 x clearnr shrimp

4 x anemones

3 x clowns

2 x tube worms

2 x turbo snails

4kg of live rock

Hopefully tonight the rest of fishes are still alive..I will post a picture over here tomorrow too..but now, I need to know is, is it not advisable to have a wave-maker to be placed in a 2FT marine tank????

Thanks...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

1 x clearnr shrimp

4 x anemones

3 x clowns

2 x tube worms

2 x turbo snails

4kg of live rock

Thanks...

I'm also a newbie and also have a 2ft tank running for 3 weeks.

Based on yr bioload of 4 anemones (probably tempted to buy them as they are attractive). You definitely need a chiller n a powerful protein skimmer.

Your corals may not be happy with the wavemaker as yr tank is quite small.

If you have a good filter, it should cause some movements of yr water already.

For my set-up, it did not install any wavemaker as the outflow from my external cannister filter is already causing moderate currents in the water.

I have consulted experienced marine hobbyist and aquarium shop owners, for 2 ft tank, you dun really need a wavemaker.

But since you have one, placed them blowing against your glass panel for indirect circulation. That way, it will not be so powerful causing too much stress to yr fishes and corals.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

2ft tank + 4 anemones + a wave-maker = DANGER - the current maybe too strong for the anemones - they may get minced/sucked into the wave maker - and you will have LOTS of problems. better cover the wave-maker else minced anemones.

Anemones - you really need a chiller else the anemones will die off slowly also giving you problems. Take Care.

• SRC Member

I have 2 wavemakers in my 2 feet but they are small ones meant for nano tanks and I also cover them up with netting to prevent my tank becoming any sort of anamonea soup or fish bits floating all over the shop! Maybe yours is either too big for your tank or you should buy some netting and cover it up to prevent accidents.

cheers, desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member
I have 2 wavemakers in my 2 feet but they are small ones meant for nano tanks and I also cover them up with netting to prevent my tank becoming any sort of anamonea soup or fish bits floating all over the shop! Maybe yours is either too big for your tank or you should buy some netting and cover it up to prevent accidents.

cheers, desi

I dun think is yr wavemaker problem bcoz when fishes try to come near the wavemaker, they will be blown away. I have fixed a wavemaker recently and my clown fish dun come near it.

Observe yr fishes, see whether are they chasing each other.

And also anemones will sting yr fishes...only clown fishes can dance inside.

l7304smr.jpg