Power or Airstone for Marine Tank

Hi Friends,

I have a 50 gallon saltwater tank with only few Fishes, 1 Carpet Anemone and Live Rock.

The tank is powered by a EHEIM 2213 filter and a submersible AZOO 1200 litre/hr dual submersible filter pointed to the top of the tank just below the water surface.(http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/modules.php?name=Product_Review&bkid=208)

Advice Required:

1. Is an airstone really required in the saltwater aquarium? or will the above arrangement with the AZOO powerhead be sufficient to provide adequate dissolved oxygen through surface agitation?

2. What is the best height to place the powerhead at the surface of the tank for good oxygen supply? Should it splash the water like a fountain or just create ripples?

3. Any other recommendation to provide good oxygen level and avoid having microbubbles throughout the tank

Please advice.

Thanks,

Sanju

Hi Friends,

I have a 50 gallon saltwater tank with only few Fishes, 1 Carpet Anemone and Live Rock.

The tank is powered by a EHEIM 2213 filter and a submersible AZOO 1200 litre/hr dual submersible filter pointed to the top of the tank just below the water surface.(http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/modules.php?name=Product_Review&bkid=208)

Advice Required:

1. Is an airstone really required in the saltwater aquarium? or will the above arrangement with the AZOO powerhead be sufficient to provide adequate dissolved oxygen through surface agitation?

2. What is the best height to place the powerhead at the surface of the tank for good oxygen supply? Should it splash the water like a fountain or just create ripples?

3. Any other recommendation to provide good oxygen level and avoid having microbubbles throughout the tank

Please advice.

Thanks,

Sanju

I don't use a sump, but got a slightly oversized protein skimmer instead, the effluent carried away by a powerhead should cover the aerated water in the tank evenly and sufficiently. This will eliminate the fine bubbles in the tank and splashes caused by the 'exploding' bubbles on the surface, causing wet floors, lights and cabinets.

I don't use a sump, but got a slightly oversized protein skimmer instead, the effluent carried away by a powerhead should cover the aerated water in the tank evenly and sufficiently. This will eliminate the fine bubbles in the tank and splashes caused by the 'exploding' bubbles on the surface, causing wet floors, lights and cabinets.

Many Thanks.

So are you suggesting that I but a skimmer (air-driven) and the airstone used in the skimmer will be fine to oxygenate the water. In this case and I place the powerhead horizontally near the water surface (instead of pointing to top and causing exploding bubbles on the surface?)

Many Thanks.

So are you suggesting that I but a skimmer (air-driven) and the airstone used in the skimmer will be fine to oxygenate the water. In this case and I place the powerhead horizontally near the water surface (instead of pointing to top and causing exploding bubbles on the surface?)

Yours is a mid size tank (3ft?), and the in sump/ external skimmer got to have a relatively good flow of at least 400litres to be effective, either air-driven with pump, venturi pump, etc...I am not referring to those hang-ons within the tank that blows the bubbles through.

At the effluent, place the powerhead beneath the skimmer effluent, or place the effluent tube at the intake of the powerhead and let it carry the oxygenated water throughout the tank. Alternatively, what I did is to use the 2213 effluent to mix and carry the oxygenated water (I don't use a powerhead to save cost. :paiseh: ). My personal preference is to point/ direct it down at a slight angle, to ensure that there is a good top to bottom mix.

So far it works fine for me with LS of 1 angel, 2 tanks, 2 clowns, 1 gamma, 1 banded shark, 9 shrimps, 4 starfish, 2 sand dollars, 1 sea cucumber, 1 abalone, and a lot of crabs and bristle worms in the LR. :D