Super Mushrooms

• SRC Member

Hi experiened marine experts,

Is it normal for super green mushrooms to turn brown as they grow? (not using actinic lights)

(i smelled it, there's no rotting odour; still smells fresh)

:rolleyes:

My purple and blue mushrooms are doing well except for my green mushrooms, which i'm not too sure.

I dose my waters with reefmax trace elements + seachem reef builder and iodine at least once a week. (pH is 8.1 and KH >15)

:thanks::thanks:

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi experiened marine experts,

Is it normal for super green mushrooms to turn brown as they grow? (not using actinic lights)

(i smelled it, there's no rotting odour; still smells fresh)

:rolleyes:

My purple and blue mushrooms are doing well except for my green mushrooms, which i'm not too sure.

I dose my waters with reefmax trace elements + seachem reef builder and iodine at least once a week. (pH is 8.1 and KH >15)

:thanks::thanks:

Anyway, case closed. Managed to solve the problem. It's normal...i managed to bring back their colours. :rolleyes:

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Anyway, case closed. Managed to solve the problem. It's normal...i managed to bring back their colours. :rolleyes:

in less then 24hrs? what's ur magic formula

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member
in less then 24hrs? what's ur magic formula

Nothing magical or secret.

Just happened i did not check my temp and realised it has went up to 29, probably due to my lightnings. So i bring down my temp to 27 and add some Ph buffer to raise my pH level to 8.4.

So from the looks of it, they are feeling better.

I was told over time these super green mushrooms will turn brown or dull in colours if the temp is between 29-30.

But they will not die, just that they will not look so nice.

My other species like purple and blue mushies are ok...probably more tolerant to temp.

I did some search, super green mushrooms belongs to the anemone mushroom family (correct me if i'm wrong). So i think they prefer a lower temp.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

duno bout the super greens, but my hairy mushrooms are damn weird, i got 1 colony of many polyps, and 2 individual frags, the individual frags are doing well and maintaining their green colour, but the colony has become brown now and i dun understand y, used to be doing very well,

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member
duno bout the super greens, but my hairy mushrooms are damn weird, i got 1 colony of many polyps, and 2 individual frags, the individual frags are doing well and maintaining their green colour, but the colony has become brown now and i dun understand y, used to be doing very well,

Oh bro...i had this hairy mushroom, the size of my hand and need 2 hands to carry which i threw it away as some of the polyps are rotting and can smell it when i lifted it out of the water.

When i bought it from the shop, it was already brown colour.

But dun throw it away, can be savaged. Because my friend keep telling me, its going to die, its going to die coz u dun have a chiller, so i was very green.

If your pH level and KH is good and you have been feeding it, most likely your lightings too strong.

I went to Jiireh couple of days ago, saw their super hairy mushrooms, also brown colour and it is place very near to the lights.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

funny thing is its on the sand bed under t5, so cant be too strong lights

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member
funny thing is its on the sand bed under t5, so cant be too strong lights

U be surprised...for a 2ft tank, 2 T5 is already very sufficient and duration should not be more than 8 hrs a day.

Anything more than that, you are cooking yr corals.

I follow advices from honest shop owners.

Be careful, some just want you to buy all the expensive lightnings and equipments. Telling you its not good enough, not strong enough, not bright enough, not powerful enough and all that bullsh!!t. You make them happy thats all and go home broke.

I have an Atlantis system running in my office for 4 yrs and the tank is 4ft x 3ft. Set-up cost almost $10k with cabinet and all that plus monthly maintenance from bagalah workers.

Started with beautifully, but in the end, i'm left with a couple of hardy fishes and red and green algae appearing on the sandbed and the whole tank looks like crap.

End of the day is this, no matter how good yr equipements are, you still need to maintain it like change the waters, clean the skimmer, add some additives into the water, check the water parameters.

Last month, i set-up on my own a 2ft tank, with lower-end equipments, Jebo protein skimmer, only cost me 50 bucks, an external cannister filter (50 bucks also), dymax lightnings, abt 40 bucks, brandless live sand and a haliea ozoniser ($120, reasonable). And the tank is full of soft corals and an anemone.

Everyday, i checked my water parameters, it has been gd. Nitrate and nitrite almost zero. My skimmer has removed most of the waste during the first and 2nd week and now it hardly produce any bubbles and waste.

I'm trying to experiment to see whether is it really necessary to spend all that money on expensive protein skimmer, FR, Calcium reactors, etc...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

bro the expensive equipments are expensive for a reason, its mainly for sps keepers who wants perfect water quality, softies like mushies are infact happier with dirtier water, so a comparison cannot be compared that way, just compare return pumps, a hailea pump is cheap and pushes alot of water compare to a exact similar ocean runner pushing just slightly more water but y is the ocean runner so much more expensive and people are willing to pay for it. it generates lesser heat in turn reduces chiller cut in and cut out time, and it uses lesser electricity so it pays for itself compared to the other pump.

CR is for controlled supply of Ca and Mg,

FR is for P04 removal media and carbon

and expensive skimmer usualy is because they are using good low electricity consumption pumps and the water volume they are rated for, but u can always use the cheap good old powerful beckett skimmer

all of which are needed for a gd tank

of course u can do without all this but that means u would have to change ur water by maybe 20% once a week or more to keep perfect parameters

i got almost full equipments running even thou i am keeping only lps/softies/tangs and i still test water almost everyday with 100l of prepared salt mix ready for any unforseen circumstances

and ur right there were lots of dishonest LFS owners just want to rip off un-inform reefers, but most of them have already closed down, most of those who still stands today are the better 1 in terms of service provided. but its also up to ourselves to be an inform customer by spending abit more time researching what we need over the net, btw my tank is not small thats y light should really not be the issue of y my green hairy mushies turn brown, i am running 1x250w mh in the centre and 2x 24w t5 (1 blue 1 white per fixture) over the sides of the tank , weird thing is every other mushies and yumas i have is flourishing except for this rock

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member
bro the expensive equipments are expensive for a reason, its mainly for sps keepers who wants perfect water quality, softies like mushies are infact happier with dirtier water, so a comparison cannot be compared that way, just compare return pumps, a hailea pump is cheap and pushes alot of water compare to a exact similar ocean runner pushing just slightly more water but y is the ocean runner so much more expensive and people are willing to pay for it. it generates lesser heat in turn reduces chiller cut in and cut out time, and it uses lesser electricity so it pays for itself compared to the other pump.

CR is for controlled supply of Ca and Mg,

FR is for P04 removal media and carbon

and expensive skimmer usualy is because they are using good low electricity consumption pumps and the water volume they are rated for, but u can always use the cheap good old powerful beckett skimmer

all of which are needed for a gd tank

of course u can do without all this but that means u would have to change ur water by maybe 20% once a week or more to keep perfect parameters

i got almost full equipments running even thou i am keeping only lps/softies/tangs and i still test water almost everyday with 100l of prepared salt mix ready for any unforseen circumstances

and ur right there were lots of dishonest LFS owners just want to rip off un-inform reefers, but most of them have already closed down, most of those who still stands today are the better 1 in terms of service provided. but its also up to ourselves to be an inform customer by spending abit more time researching what we need over the net, btw my tank is not small thats y light should really not be the issue of y my green hairy mushies turn brown, i am running 1x250w mh in the centre and 2x 24w t5 (1 blue 1 white per fixture) over the sides of the tank , weird thing is every other mushies and yumas i have is flourishing except for this rock

Thanks for yr enlightenment.

Just want to experiment whether the difference is really that great between branded and lower-end stuffs.

Its just like comparing mercedes/ bmw with lexus...haha.

Afterwhich, i intend to upgrade to a 5-6ft tank and my own design of a sump system, targetting jan 09.

I'm very disappointed with my atlantis system. Some of my surgeon fishes gana skin cancer and died. Not sustainable in the long-run, still need those bagalah workers to help me to clean and nothing more than a "vertical sump" system. The contractors will be dismantling the entire tank next week...

But for those reading this and have bought expensive good stuffs, pls dun take my comments seriously. Bcoz SPS and some delicate LPS do indeed need good stuffs to sustain.

I'm just experimenting for myself.

Abt those green anemone mushies...still need time to find out more abt the demands of this species.

I have also shifted their position where there is less flow....so see how it develops.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

maybe u can post some pics of ur Atlantis system here, surely there are lots of ppl here that can help u to rescue ur investment. maybe u just need to change out the sump and can start all over again, i believe its the husbandry that killed the tank previously, using bangalah workers to do tank maintainence doesnt sound professional in the least bit, then again its good for profits

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member
maybe u can post some pics of ur Atlantis system here, surely there are lots of ppl here that can help u to rescue ur investment. maybe u just need to change out the sump and can start all over again, i believe its the husbandry that killed the tank previously, using bangalah workers to do tank maintainence doesnt sound professional in the least bit, then again its good for profits

I will post and let u guys see my "sinking" atlantis system...haha...

But it's a good design concept to have a vertical sump system coz it saves space and yr lower cabinet can be used for storage and it is very neat, no mess, no pipings and wires hanging around...i will take some pics and share with you guys out here and u can analyse n customise it...haha.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Dachkie,

How long do you keep this emergency water? I’ve been planning to store some using NTUC plastic bottles just in case but not sure how long it can be kept.

• SRC Member
Hi Dachkie,

How long do you keep this emergency water? I’ve been planning to store some using NTUC plastic bottles just in case but not sure how long it can be kept.

can keep for as long as u like so long as u keep it dark and aerated 24/7, but anyway i do either weekly or bi weekly water changes depending on mood so 2 weeks is the max they are kept

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member

is that a weipro skimmer they installed in ur old system? looks like they have alot of profit for building this

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

• SRC Member

I was checking my temp last night and saw one of my green mushroom "splitting"...and i took it out of the water to smell.

And i found a tiny crab about 0.5cm, came out from beneath the "injured" mushroom. Immediately i catch it and throw it into the basin.

Not too sure whether this mr crabbie is responsible for the damage.

l7304smr.jpg

• 4 weeks later...