First to start topic here

TanGo

Hi TanGo

Sorry to say that you are not the 1st to start :lol:

Do a back date search and you will see previous post.

Dive trips? Monsoon now in Malaysia unless Phuket.

Maybe you can arrange a diving trip for SRC members when the monsoon is over? :)

• SRC Member

i wanna get my diving licence...

can u guys advice me as to where to get it from?

anyway my freestyle swimming and water treading is terrible

would they teach those?

heard about getting a certified padi instructor.... how bout the cost of the licence?

• SRC Member

when do u intend to register ?

morgan suggested i brush up on my swimming :lol:

actually swimming not that bad.......

its my threading....

cant stay consistently over the water..

over water, under water, over water, under water...

hahaha

• SRC Member

sinn... that is the same thing for me too.... i can't even float...!!!!... sigh...very keen on getting my diving licence too.. but school term starting.. ;):( but swimming is not much of an issue..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hi

I dive too. If you guys wanna pick up diving, the requirement is to be able to swim 200m and thread water for 2mins continuously....I think.

The diving season for 2002 is over due to Monsoon. If you want, you can do your Open Waters at expensive places like Phuket and Bali which in my opinion is not worth spending since you won't be enjoying much while under training.

Season for diving in Malaysia starts end Feb/Mar. It'll be better to wait till then. Current standard course fee for Open Waters in Pulau Aur or Tioman is around $499. Add another $30 for equipments (BCD and regulator). You'll probably get your own scuba mask and snorkle which will cost about $80 together but they do come with that $30 you paid. You can definitely find shops that would offer you cheaper prices but becareful cause alot of shops compromise on safety and education because of competitions. They are only interested in earning your money (bad) and giving you a cert (great!). While in your case you should want a good education cause you don't want to panick and forget how to replace your scuba mask while under water right ;p

If you think diving in Malaysia is expensive...you can learn diving in Singapore. Its about $250 but the water condition is Singapore is inferior. Depending on your luck, you may get a 1.5 - 2m visibility while on certain days...in fact most days you can hardly see your outstretch hands. Marine life wise, you'll see alot of sea worms, nudibranches and reef crabs but very little fishies....so little that you can count with just one hand ;p

Alright, hope that helps.

Cheers

Joe

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

• SRC Member

Ok, maybe we should start somewhere near first.. say.. Aur? Anyone any problems? 4hr minibus ride, plus 3-4 hrs ferry ride, 2 days of solid diving.. Over a weekend.. Leaving friday night type.. Maybe in Mar or Apr 2003.. Those interested please let me know and also you can make plans to 'take leave'.

And I need to know how many open water and how many advance, dive leaders or instructors around..

Still open to options, like dates, if you have any constraints.. Dive sites.. blah blah..

And I have not done recreational dive for I think 3 yrs liao.. dunno how the marine life at aur is.. :)