Adding one FL tube

Creetin

• SRC Member

ok guys, i wana mod mi light set and go for an additional FL actinic tube (so no more false actinic for me since i using a combo PL now). My end result would be a FL actinic blue and a PL 10,000 daylight - both can be turned on individually, much better than my current combo bulb.

Heres my plan: get the clips, ballast and switch. drill holes in my fixture and screw the clips on. connect to ballast n switch, switch to remain outside of the light fixture.

Here r my questions:

1. issit a good way to mount the tube? how about super glue? (i didnt tink tts safe either)

2. if i go for the clips, where can i find them? normal lighting shop?

3. the e-ballast i heard can find from nature @$15. is that a good deal?

4. where can i get the switch? how much?

5. does the PL and FL tubes require a "safe distance" btw them? i reckon after fixing it up, not much space left...veri narrow gap...will mi tank go up in flames? :rolleyes:

6. which brand of actinic blue FL is good? how much and where can i get it?

Thanks very much everyone! :)

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

hi hi, hope this will help:

1. usually we use tube clips to hold the tubes. super glue cannot really because you need to change tube when it's spoil and also super glue might melt under the heat of the tube or ballast.

2. Sim lim sq got the clip, actually most DIY shop also have the clip, even Nature also have the clips

3. $15 e-ballast from nature is quite a good deal.

4. can easily get switch from Sim Lim Tower, very cheap, less than a dollar but you have to drill a hole in the casing.

5. PL and Fl tube don't really need safe distance but of course it's better if you can space them apart because of the heat. even the PL tube that i am using are place pretty close together.

6. for actinic FL, i heard coralife and ocean sun is good, can get at Petmart i think.

hey, you sure your casing can fit in extra tube, extra ballast and switch?

• SRC Member

That's the same combo i'm using. I have two separate hoods.

The actinic I use is Coral Sun by zoomed. Ocean sun is the 10000k bulb. Zoomed is great. Get it from Sealife at about $30+- for an 18" 15w bulb.

Oh yeah, AquaMart sells it at around $55 last I checked so it might not be a very good idea to get it from there.

• SRC Member

hi tks for both ur replies:

BB: superglue was wat i wanted to use to glue the clips to the hood, but since u said it may melt i would use screws instead...the scary part is drilling holes in my fixture! gotta take it down n see... i tink got enuff space but not confirmed...need to see how big is ballast and switch...worse come to worse mi switch dun put inside the fixture lor, leave it outside...

Hongxian: regarding the bulb, i feel zoomed bulb sold by sea-life is expensive! (in fact, i feel most of their things are). anyway i heard u guys toking about some philips brand or sthg? $22 only?

15w kinda little, wats the max wattage for the actinic blue FL? 36w?

Thanks! :)

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

Actinic blue PLs come in 36 watts and 55 watts. 36 watts is about the length of an 18" bulb or a bit less.

The zoomed bulb is good quality though. PLs are said to be inconsistent for actinics at about.com (dunno if you read it) Some in a batch may be a bit redder and some bluer.

Dunno about the $22.