Got sump problems...

wedgee

• SRC Member

Me thinking of adding sump to my 3 ft tank, as i have space below the tank and have a spare 2 ft bare tank. I dont wana spend any more extra money, so thinking of just placing some algae and filter stuff inside the 2 ft.

Me thought of using a siphon down into the sump, and pump water back up into the main tank (dono if it works?) I tried using the 3 ft overflow pump but it went all weak when it had to pump the water UPwards back into the tank. Originally when it is used as the overflow pump, it is very strong (dono wat is the turnover, only got the model number N950 30W shown on the pump)

Issit the pump too lousy and i have to buy another one? (if so, any recommendations?) How do i control the siphon rate into the sump? Also equally confusing is; how do i know whether the siphon equals the pump rate? I wana try but i'm very very scared of overflowing nightmares!!! :ph34r:

This is me first attempt at sumps, so pls forgive me ehehh... :P

• SRC Member

i think it cant work :o

gotta think more in the line of what would happen if i off the pump....

overflows work best cause

Off the pump --> water wont be pumped to main tank --> main tank water level wont increase --> water cannot overflow to the sump...

either way yer main tank or yer sump wont get overflown

i hope u get what i mean... :D

good luck

It is possible but there are a few things u need to watch out..

1. The size of your siphon tube (this will control your flow rate from main

tank to sump)

2. A small hole must be drilled at a height slightly below the main tank

water level. This is to prevent your sump from flooding when u pump

failed. When the water level in the main tank dropped till it reached the

hole's level, the siphon will stop when air is introduced from the hole.

3. Your pump (from what u mentioned) is too weak or your siphon tube too

big, so either way, u have to change one of them. But i guess u will like

to have high turn over rate and changing the pump make more sense. As

for recommendation for the pump, it is all depend on your budget and

intended flow rate. If the pump is to remained on continuous, i think Rio

pump is cheap and consume low power (u can find it only at one place at

LCK 103, near LCK 110). Do fix up a valve so that u can control the flow

rate to match up with your overflow.

But there is still a chance that it may overflow. That is when there is a power problem. eg: if PUB do maintainence and shut down your power for

a hr, so when power come back, your pump will work but your siphon has stopped. So u need to make sure your main tank can "absorb" all the water from your sump... So the best way is still to drilled your main tank or do a diy overflow instead of siphon method.

• SRC Member

:P it's possible to DIY a overflow without drilling hole...but like wat chanbi suggested....wat if PUB decides to shut down the electricity supply for maintenance? :o

or do wat ian did in this thread

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...88c7442846ff6dd

i dunno exactly how it works...the details i mean...but according to him...it will work :wacko:

alternatively, i am trying to get some pics on my own tank...also DIY overflow...(oooi, rumour...when you coming to take pics) :rolleyes: one thing no good abt my overflow is that it will stop working if electricity stops for more than 10sec. :( when electricity resume...my pump sure spoilt becos no water in my sump from the main tank

unless i invest in a UPS...but if i buy a UPS...i must as well buy a new tank with the proper overflow system :P (anybody can give me a 4D number that will sure strike this Wed? :D:D:lol::lol: )

• SRC Member

Wah very grateful for all yr replies....I think as long as i cant do up an overflow, i wont be touching the sump...Anyone running without sump with good results? I'll be using only DSB, abit of f-floss and chemical filtration, plus lotsa live rocks, dono if can last long...

I guess u all confirmed my fears of the risky siphon method completely. :lol: Guess gotta look for a commercial overflow box instead. Anyone found one for sale? I saw one at Aquamart that looks like a refugium, something smaller than AT's hang on type-issit suitable? I have read Ian's thread btw, but seems like no solution available leh...unless he is willing to diy for us at a nominal fee??? :P

Thanx for helping guys

• SRC Member

Or where can i buy/order a ready built sump (with overflow box for main tank, and pump too) that i can just throw into action when i get it home? Guess easier to part with money than end up with sore aching hands and a failed DIY... :huh:

• SRC Member

You can try online stores in US.

Champion Lighting, Premium Aquatics and Inland Reef are all very good stores I've bought from.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I saw one at Aquamart that looks like a refugium, something smaller than AT's hang on type-issit suitable?

Mine? My tank is custom built!

My external glass overflow is part of my tank!

overflowboxwithstandpipes2.jpg

• SRC Member
*cough*death trap*cough*

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
You can try online stores in US.

Champion Lighting, Premium Aquatics and Inland Reef are all very good stores I've bought from.

Ooooh, wat have u bought from them? Are u referring to those hang-on refugiums they are selling? Can i convert them into partial sumps (to hold skimmer and filter stuff) I see they dont come cheap, so i have to bother u guys with these questions... :P

Don't our LFS sell any of these?

• SRC Member

That's a possibility but you won't be able to run a skimmer in the hang-on refugium.

What I meant was one of these.

Then, custom build a glass sump locally or just use a sizeable plastic tub as a sump. Plumbing them together shouldn't be too difficult.

If you can afford it, especially the shipping, Life Reef makes some really sweet looking sumps!

I bought all my hardware from US; ballasts, bulbs, skimmers, calcium reactor, etc. No major problem or trouble with them except Champion needs to work on their PR skills.

post-36-1093875548.jpg