red sea prizm skimmer (Deluxe)

Hi ALL,

Currently i using the red sea prizm skimmer for 3 weeks, i tired placing it in the sump at first, no skimmate, just foam. So i thought i re-position it to hang on my 4ft tank. After a week or so, only found very light 'tan' or none at the tip or collection cup. Currently i have 8 fishes and 2 shrimps. I fed them twice a day, flakes or pellets in the morning and alternatively frozen brian shrimp. I tried adjusting the air and water flow too.

My sg is btwn 1.020 to 1.021. I understand from feedback that this particular skimmer is for smaller tank but i puzzled since the box illustrated up to 400L? Any kind soul to enlighten me on this? Thank you.

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

bro, maybe you want to increase yr sg to 1.024 to 1.025. Some of the specification may seem overstated or gone through certain test condition to produce that claim. Nevertheless, for prism, there are ppl using it for 2 to 3 ft setup. If your system is up for months and no clash due to current stock, it is doing its work....hehehe.....just to check the heavily stocked level vs lightly stocked level...for other reputable skimmers, they will state the differences between both stocked level to guide users. Just my personal opinion. : )

Hi ALL,

Currently i using the red sea prizm skimmer for 3 weeks, i tired placing it in the sump at first, no skimmate, just foam. So i thought i re-position it to hang on my 4ft tank. After a week or so, only found very light 'tan' or none at the tip or collection cup. Currently i have 8 fishes and 2 shrimps. I fed them twice a day, flakes or pellets in the morning and alternatively frozen brian shrimp. I tried adjusting the air and water flow too.

My sg is btwn 1.020 to 1.021. I understand from feedback that this particular skimmer is for smaller tank but i puzzled since the box illustrated up to 400L? Any kind soul to enlighten me on this? Thank you.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Bro, the prism skimmer is like this, not very effective. I have used it at the start of hobby on a 3 ft. When I upgraded to 5 ft tank and used in sump skimmer like HS skimmers I find them more effective. Now coming back to hobby after a few years starting with a 3 ft again and looking around for a skimmer and LFS still recommended RS prism skimmer to be the best for hang on skimmer. lol

for its size, i think one for the best. For hang on, i think deltec mce600 is the best....lol

Bro, the prism skimmer is like this, not very effective. I have used it at the start of hobby on a 3 ft. When I upgraded to 5 ft tank and used in sump skimmer like HS skimmers I find them more effective. Now coming back to hobby after a few years starting with a 3 ft again and looking around for a skimmer and LFS still recommended RS prism skimmer to be the best for hang on skimmer. lol

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Please do not make bias judgement. I personally think Prism is a very good HOB skimmer. As with all HOB skimmers, it takes a bit of fine tuning to get it perform at its prime. I have very good experience with the prism although i am really too lazy to explain the mechanics of it if u ask me.

It is also unfair to make comparisons against a Beckett as the wattage requirement and footprint is different.

Please do not make bias judgement. I personally think Prism is a very good HOB skimmer. As with all HOB skimmers, it takes a bit of fine tuning to get it perform at its prime. I have very good experience with the prism although i am really too lazy to explain the mechanics of it if u ask me.

It is also unfair to make comparisons against a Beckett as the wattage requirement and footprint is different.

Thank you bros for all your valuable input. I hope i did not cause any 'conflict' cos of this posting. I beginning to worry cos my nitrate level is always at 50ppm. While My Ph, ammonia & nititrite remains at the acceptable value. As on the prizm 'bottleneck' level, i can also see lots of foam but minimum or 'kopi'. i have since tried changing abt 10% water every week but to no avail.

As i have already 'invested' $200 over bucks on this, i haf no choice but to look into other alternatives....sigh.......by the way, i considering other brands like Deltec MCE600. As my sump is rather small, (2ft only), i considering compact hang on or 'outside' of the sump skimmer.

By the way, any bros can recommend where i can source competitive price for skimmer like deltec, Beckett? H n S is out of my budget as the cost is more than $800 bucks?

Been really a time and money demanding hobby, but i enjoying very min of it despite frequent quarral with my gf....hehe......Any bros out there use kalwassier to top up evaporate water? I understand to obtain optimium result is to use a dose pump? Other there any other alternatives as too much of kalwassier into the display tank water can increase the PH to a unhealthy level.....

bro, maybe you want to increase yr sg to 1.024 to 1.025. Some of the specification may seem overstated or gone through certain test condition to produce that claim. Nevertheless, for prism, there are ppl using it for 2 to 3 ft setup. If your system is up for months and no clash due to current stock, it is doing its work....hehehe.....just to check the heavily stocked level vs lightly stocked level...for other reputable skimmers, they will state the differences between both stocked level to guide users. Just my personal opinion. : )

Wah..increasing sg to 1.024 is quite high....will it have a adverse effect?? Aquarmain at jalan kayu also advice me on that but i have second thoughts on it.....

bro, dont take it hard, as adult, i think we treat all this as info sharing session. Bro, is yr live stocking high? For nitrate, i think there are 2 types, you may wish to visit the algae scrubber thread to understand more. 50 still ok....unless you are going into demanding coral, personally i think still ok if you are doing weekly water change.

Maybe you can consider buying second hand, MCE600 is a good choice for hang on. if you got budget constraint, look for second hand skimmer. For kalkwasser, manual dose is one method. Dosing pump is system assist.

For sg level, think it is within the safe level. You can search through the net or read up to understand SG level. For fishes, they can tolerate low level but must do it slowly...for corals, come cannot tolerate low SG level......this is my limited knowledge, do read up or ask around, snr here will help. : )

Algae Scrubbler

bro, dont take it hard, as adult, i think we treat all this as info sharing session. Bro, is yr live stocking high? For nitrate, i think there are 2 types, you may wish to visit the algae scrubber thread to understand more. 50 still ok....unless you are going into demanding coral, personally i think still ok if you are doing weekly water change.

Maybe you can consider buying second hand, MCE600 is a good choice for hang on. if you got budget constraint, look for second hand skimmer. For kalkwasser, manual dose is one method. Dosing pump is system assist.

For sg level, think it is within the safe level. You can search through the net or read up to understand SG level. For fishes, they can tolerate low level but must do it slowly...for corals, come cannot tolerate low SG level......this is my limited knowledge, do read up or ask around, snr here will help. : )

Live Stock errm....but 8 fishes, 2 true clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 blenny, 2 cardinal, 2 yellowtail damsel and with 2 cleaner shrimps (i thought they r suppose to eat waste from fishes, but they are actually eating the leftover food!). I considering keeping corals but the starter type, i understand that coral can only tolerate <10ppm nitritate? Means i still have a long long way to go beside other parimeters like calcium, po4, mg.......etc....

I have to wait for my bonus..and that will decide which skimmer i can afford...hahha

Live Stock errm....but 8 fishes, 2 true clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 blenny, 2 cardinal, 2 yellowtail damsel and with 2 cleaner shrimps (i thought they r suppose to eat waste from fishes, but they are actually eating the leftover food!). I considering keeping corals but the starter type, i understand that coral can only tolerate <10ppm nitritate? Means i still have a long long way to go beside other parimeters like calcium, po4, mg.......etc....

I have to wait for my bonus..and that will decide which skimmer i can afford...hahha

Finally the prizm skimmer is actually skimming......can see brownish layer on the collection cup but the collection is very watery......not the dry type as i haf to set the level 1/2 at the bottleneck....

• SRC Member
Finally the prizm skimmer is actually skimming......can see brownish layer on the collection cup but the collection is very watery......not the dry type as i haf to set the level 1/2 at the bottleneck....

Hi bro, I just got a new Prizm skimmer Deluxe from AM. Received Great Service from AM. After researching still find it most effiicient and reasonable cost. Too bad the AquaC and Tunze cant fit my tank. Set the water level slightly higher than the o-ring in the neck. Watery is because the water level too high.

Hi bro, I just got a new Prizm skimmer Deluxe from AM. Received Great Service from AM. After researching still find it most effiicient and reasonable cost. Too bad the AquaC and Tunze cant fit my tank. Set the water level slightly higher than the o-ring in the neck. Watery is because the water level too high.

Harlow...what tank size u running on? I think of getting a tunze 9010, I seen the specs on the web...seems quite compact and efficent....

• SRC Member
Harlow...what tank size u running on? I think of getting a tunze 9010, I seen the specs on the web...seems quite compact and efficent....

If you have a sump, you choice is so much wider. I am thinking of throwing my old reef octopus and go for skimz 180. For your tank size maybe you can consider get the smallest version. From some of the reviews, the result are better than the german one and seem more and more Deltec owner changing to skimz. The price looks reasonable, worth the try I think. Maybe we can go AM together, buy 2 see got better price or not. :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
for its size, i think one for the best. For hang on, i think deltec mce600 is the best....lol

Not bias or what, hang on doesnt really that effective be it prizm or deltec. A friend of mine changed from weipro to prizm and to deltec but on at the end still make sump and use a in-sump skimmer(reef octopus).And he is happy until now.

If you have a sump, you choice is so much wider. I am thinking of throwing my old reef octopus and go for skimz 180. For your tank size maybe you can consider get the smallest version. From some of the reviews, the result are better than the german one and seem more and more Deltec owner changing to skimz. The price looks reasonable, worth the try I think. Maybe we can go AM together, buy 2 see got better price or not. :eyebrow:

Hiya,

I went to AM yesterday and considering the skimz 150/110. Actually currently i have a prizm hanging on my display tank and a weipro 2012 with ehiem 1000 pump. I pretty sure that with this combination, it should be able to handle the bioload, for now.....7 fishes. But in the future....hmmmm.....

I just bought a FR with rowa to control the po.....i think of getting a denititrater reactor since the nitriate level is always at 50ppm. Or should i exercise more patience, adopt the 'wait & see' how method? Buy seachem denititrater media and place in the sump? Sure, why not if we can get a better price at AM.....