Mitlancer's "Miracle" Atlantis Walll Mount

mitlancer

• SRC Supporter

Hi All,

After 3 years of stock wall-mount Atlantis Tank, I've decided to start the journey to mod my wall mount AT. Hoping to make a miracle out of it.... so please dun "pour cold water" on me.... for those who are also "victims", most welcome to discuss and share what we can mod to make our tank suitable for corals too......

Specs of tank: 4ft (L) x 0.5ft (W) x 1.3ft (H)

Capacity: est 18G

Lighting: 21 W T5 FT with modified 30 White LEDs and 30 Blue LEDs. Triple switches to adjust all 3 lightings.

Water Temp: Between 27.8 to 31(max) depending on time of the day.

Chiller: no chiller, manual input of 13cm x 13cm ice block into the top up chamber (good to reduce the temp by 2 degrees to 28 when at 30) plus a 2-fan laptop cooler.

Filter Media: still using stock coral chips + carbon + cotton wool.

Pump at top up chamber: upgraded to Eheim Compact 300

Wavemaker: 1500L/H from AM (forget the brand, no need power supply).

LS: 2 percular clowns, 1 dotty back, 1 BT (just recover from cloudy eye a week ago and now recovering from rot fins), 1 anthias, 1 dwarf blue leg hermit crab, 1 brown hermit crab, 1 boxer shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails, saw 1 hairy crab (dunno what to remove or not).

SPS: 1 gronio (improve after intro blue LEDs), Blasto (4 heads and doing good), 1 Bubble (not fully bloom), 1 Elegance (doing good), 1 OB (doing good)

Others: Greenish-Brown mushrooms (doing good), Yellow polyps (doing ok)

Anemone: 1 bubble tipped anemone (one bro had advised it's bleached, hand-fed mysis shrimps last night and with blue LEDs, open up again)

Water Salinity: 1.022-1.024

Ammonia: < 0.02 ppm

Will be getting test kits to test others.

History: had 3 crashes since 2005 due to change in water (itchy handed).

Below: Pic of tank before the last crash in late Aug 08.

post-14772-1230692501.jpg

• SRC Member

Nice tank! Quite a pity on the width though, 6" width is really narrow! I like the open spaced concept. If I were you, I'd forget about the corals and keep a FOWLR tank full of butterfly fish. :eyebrow:

You really need to post more pics of your tank. Are you using a sump? Or IOS? Do update more.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Supporter

Thanks Bro Firestarter. Yah, its really pity on the width. No Sump or ISO...

Oh, the Eheim pump is actually Eheim Compact 1000 not 300.

I was at Reborn yesterday, and got a Air pump nano Protein Skimmer good for 150L. Sad to say that the diameter of the cup failed to squeeze through the width of the opening!!!! So thinking either sell off or modify it to fit in my tank. Went to Coral Farm as well, was checking out the Black Surgeon Tank and a Pink Skunk Clown (with a white patch on the nose, super cute), dann, both add up needs $880!!!!! Such exotic fishes are really not for my tank.... anytime up the lorry....

Well, took some photos and here they are.

Elegance and Clowns, Gronio, Open Brain, Bubble Coral, Blasto, Blue Tang looking much better than a week ago.

post-14772-1230867171.jpg

post-14772-1230867209.jpg

post-14772-1230867229.jpg

post-14772-1230867261.jpg

post-14772-1230867930.jpg

• SRC Member

how are the LED lightings, are they good enough to allow ur corals to open up nicely??

may i know how much u boight em?

Additional Lightings....

30 White and Blue LEDs plus the original 21W T5 FT (useless piece of lighting).

• SRC Supporter
how are the LED lightings, are they good enough to allow ur corals to open up nicely??

may i know how much u boight em?

Hi, my corals definitely opening up much better than before I introduce the LEDs. Just that the bubbles dun really bloom as I suspect its the temp of my water. The pics u see here are under the T5 FT and the white n blue LEDs.

You can go to Sim Lim Towers. Its about $45 just for 1 strip of 30 LEDs (blue or white same price). The adapter and plug cost separately. Depending on how much amphere you wants (2 Amp is enough for 2 strips if u are connecting tow together, if not 1 Amp per strip). Cost between $15-$23 for the adapter/plug. Need to solder/connect the wires from LEDs to the adapter. U can also add a switch ($1.50-$2.50 depending on size) in between to control. But not all shops help you to do the connecting depending if they have a technician available to do it or not. So it's best you ask around if anyone can help if you're not electrically savvy.

This option is only good for those who has limitation over space constraints as the LEDs are not cheap. You can get Blue Atnictic T5 with this kind of cost....

Cheers

• SRC Supporter
Thnx for the info bro =)

by any chance, u have the specs of the LED like how many MCD it produce?

No worries. Unfortunately, I have not done that calculation. I have plans to do it, just finding hard to find time at the moment.... :eyeblur:

But Bro Andyboss, I see your post, your tank is big and nice... no space constraints, with this kind of budget, I think can get good lamps....

Btw, the length of 30 LEDs (come in a rubber sealed strip good for waterproofing) is about 1 m long.

:)

• SRC Member

u're humble bro, i am juz a new-comer & merely few months to this new hobby

In fact, i really 'pei fu' u having the determination with the Atlantis tank, with a width of 0.5ft to play with is not an easy task!! keep it up esp. when it comes to maintanence and scaping... I am already struggling with my 1.5ft width haa

But I must say tht LED brightens up ur tank very nicely =)

• SRC Supporter
u're humble bro, i am juz a new-comer & merely few months to this new hobby

In fact, i really 'pei fu' u having the determination with the Atlantis tank, with a width of 0.5ft to play with is not an easy task!! keep it up esp. when it comes to maintanence and scaping... I am already struggling with my 1.5ft width haa

But I must say tht LED brightens up ur tank very nicely =)

Thanks for your encouragement... I am ashame cos, I have this tank for so long, 3 years 3 months to be exact, yet I never know anything about sump tanks, protien skimmer, RT, Calcium Reactor, etc except CHILLER until recently I spend more time reading in many of the experts' posts here..... Sigh, imagine how much $$ i had spent to replenish LS with this AT!!!!!

So now I really hope to make a miracle out of it....

Yes, scaping is a nightmare for me... every time I re-scape, sure some LS cannot take the stress and RIP..... sob. So i hardly re-scape unless necessary. Currently I having 2 dead spots already, so am really looking into ways to cure these 2 dead spots (one left one right).

If I have a luxury of space like your tank, I will be so happy to do the landscapping... haha...

• SRC Supporter

Feeding the bubble tip anemone and others last night.... some pics to enjoy:

From Left to right: Bubble Tip done with feeding, OB engulving mysis shrimps, OB continuing feeding, Blasto preparing for feeding, but Boxer came stealing the food right from Blasto's mouth....

post-14772-1230940238.jpg

post-14772-1230940272.jpg

post-14772-1230940290.jpg

post-14772-1230940320.jpg

post-14772-1230940349.jpg

• SRC Supporter

A comparison between the different lighting for those who wish to see. :paiseh:

From left to right,

Tank under stock 21W T5 FT (not as white as seen here), Tank under the white and blue LEDs only.

Tank under only Blue LEDs. Blasto under BLEDs

Bubble Tip under BLEDs, Elegance under BLEDs

Gonio under BLEDs, OB under BLEDs

post-14772-1230940720.jpg

post-14772-1230940740.jpg

post-14772-1230940751.jpg

post-14772-1230940794.jpg

post-14772-1230940822.jpg

post-14772-1230940837.jpg

post-14772-1230940866.jpg

post-14772-1230940886.jpg

A comparison between the different lighting for those who wish to see. :paiseh:

From left to right,

Tank under stock 21W T5 FT (not as white as seen here), Tank under the white and blue LEDs only.

Tank under only Blue LEDs. Blasto under BLEDs

Bubble Tip under BLEDs, Elegance under BLEDs

Gonio under BLEDs, OB under BLEDs

Bro, glad u started this post. Qn:

1) wavemaker from aquamarine? Attach to the pipe on left as shown in pic? What's the diff w/wo it?

2) hw u kp bkgrd so white after 3yr?

3) I also 1 blue led but Im bad at such work. Can help?

4) what u feed hermit? Don't hermit, boxer, cleaner fight?

5) hw often u replace ice block?

6) can visit your place?

• SRC Supporter
Bro, glad u started this post. Qn:

1) wavemaker from aquamarine? Attach to the pipe on left as shown in pic? What's the diff w/wo it?

2) hw u kp bkgrd so white after 3yr?

3) I also 1 blue led but Im bad at such work. Can help?

4) what u feed hermit? Don't hermit, boxer, cleaner fight?

5) hw often u replace ice block?

6) can visit your place?

Hi jkit,

1). without the wavemaker deflector, your water current just flow straight to our right chamber.... so the bottom has no wave, bcomes dead spot.

2). patience and hardwork, I used to use a toothbrush to scrap monthly.... now I leave the job to my 2 turbo snails. Also maintain water quality.

3). Of cos can help. I can bring you go Sim Lim Tower shopping for the blue LEDs, u just prepare your $$$.... haha.

4). Hermit will clear the leftover food at the bottom, they will look for food themselves. So far, no, they dun fight. But they do disturb my corals at times.

5). Ice block, if the temp goes up to 30 degrees. But only when if I at home, if not also cant monitor. But my laptop fans can maintain the temp at 29 without the ice. I recently use those cold box instead of ice. see my later post.

6). yes, as long as I am at home after office hours. U pm me and I can reply u with my address.

Cheers

• SRC Supporter

Latest shopping spree and past upgrades:

Pic 1: Hydor Flo Deflector (wavemaker) no need pump or power supply... good for AT. : )

Pic 2: Eheim Compact 1000 for the left chamber.

Pic 3: Resun super nano skimmer... (at experimental stage if can fit in the wall mount AT, cheap stuff)

Pic 4: Seachem Garlic Guard. hope to build up the resistance for my blue tang.

Pic 5: Got some test kits, I love the 5 in 1 test strips... makes the job easier.

But bad results for my Nitrate (NO3) and Phosphate (PO4) which explains the recent increase in the algae on the glass surface.

pH: 8.4

KH: 10*d

NO2: 0

NO3: 100mg/l

PO4: 0.5mg/l

post-14772-1231137631.jpg

post-14772-1231137676.jpg

post-14772-1231137721.jpg

post-14772-1231137768.jpg

post-14772-1231138447.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Sneak preview.....

The experimental skimmer is up.....(dunno if its set up correctly).

Re-scape LR to accommodate skimmer.

Added SeaChem Denitrator and Phosguard to reduce the readings for NO3 and PO4.....

Yes, I must admit, more $$ spent but found a good LFS for equipments and they cost much lesser than the others that I had visited....

:rolleyes:

Pics to follow up soon......

• SRC Supporter
This is how the Resun SK-05 skimmer looks like-

YUP, thanks AhSiang for the video clip. Looks like I have connected correctly. The only thing is that water is overflowing in the cup... I suspect too much air is entering into the pump...

Any bro can advise if my suspicious is correct??

TIA..... :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

• SRC Supporter

ok, here is the Resun Skimmer SK05 done up n running in the wall mount AT. Still monitoring on the progress of this experimental skimmer.

Unfortunately, have to re-scape the LR in order to fit the skimmer in.

post-14772-1231254106.jpg

post-14772-1231254118.jpg

post-14772-1231254126.jpg

post-14772-1231254136.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Here's the full right view of the tank. Sadly the suction pads are unable to stick on the background of the tank due to the backdrop of artificial rock landscape. Hence has to be secure on the front glass panel which makes the skimmer so visible. Was playing with the idea of using the epoxy bonder but may regret when need to remove or change position......

Anyway, just see if this skimmer works with this tank's capacity......

post-14772-1231254294.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Alright, ice cube will now be an alternative way to cool down the water. Got these Coleman's Brite Ice from GIANT Supermarket.... cheap cheap. The coldness can last longer than ice since it doesn't "melt" so readily.... I think!

Will be using 2 at a time, and the other 2 as a backup after the first 2 are depleted.... Maybe I should time how long 2 Brite Ice can last... but temp definitely reduce.

post-14772-1231300269.jpg

post-14772-1231300281.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Have introduced the SEACHEM De-Nitrate and Phosguard into my filter.. hopefully my NO3 and PO4 reading will reduced. Also change 10% of water on Monday night..... Saturday will be testing the water parameters again.... keep my fingers crossed....

post-14772-1231300549.jpg

post-14772-1231300560.jpg

post-14772-1231300570.jpg