skimmer not working 24/7 anymore?

ReDDeviLs

• SRC Supporter

Notice that recently more reefers are reducing their skimmer running time in the aquarium setup.

most of them give reasons like,cut cost on electric. However, will the start and stop of the skimmer pump reduce the life span of the pump greatly?

also,will it be more worth it to replace the pump vs the cost of electric consume daily.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

skimmer i run 24/7 because of high bioload. but my chiller i on/off like one to twice a day .... does that really spoil the chiller too?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

don't bother with starting and stoping skimmer la.....the risk of the pump spoilt is more expensive then the $ save on electricity, for some skimmer, it takes time for the skimmer to build up its form, so mn a efficient basis it might not be worth it too....focus more on chiller (more effecient chiller, higer temp), lights (maybe one of those LED or T5) even return pumps and wave maker (simplfiy your rockscap to maximize on flow)....all these also depends on the state of your tank....if it has matured significantly, you can start reducing all this SLOWLY over time.....;)

over the course of 2 years i have increase temp by 1 degree, reduce my return pumps from 100w to 50w, stop running my wavebox and also a tunze pump.....all these without any noticable effect on the well being and growth of my SPS...;)

• SRC Member
don't bother with starting and stoping skimmer la.....the risk of the pump spoilt is more expensive then the $ save on electricity, for some skimmer, it takes time for the skimmer to build up its form, so mn a efficient basis it might not be worth it too....focus more on chiller (more effecient chiller, higer temp), lights (maybe one of those LED or T5) even return pumps and wave maker (simplfiy your rockscap to maximize on flow)....all these also depends on the state of your tank....if it has matured significantly, you can start reducing all this SLOWLY over time..... ;)

over the course of 2 years i have increase temp by 1 degree, reduce my return pumps from 100w to 50w, stop running my wavebox and also a tunze pump.....all these without any noticable effect on the well being and growth of my SPS... ;)

if u guys are starting a new tank can try just running a scrubber. i only have a scrubber and no chiller nor skimmer. budget reefing :)

temp runs pretty cool cos the scrubber creates more evaporation. all u need is a big tub and a tubby to top up fresh water :)

and of cos no halides :)

u guys noticed singapore now is cooler? i heard that we are moving away from the equator :whistle

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• Moderators
don't bother with starting and stoping skimmer la.....the risk of the pump spoilt is more expensive then the $ save on electricity, for some skimmer, it takes time for the skimmer to build up its form, so mn a efficient basis it might not be worth it too....focus more on chiller (more effecient chiller, higer temp), lights (maybe one of those LED or T5) even return pumps and wave maker (simplfiy your rockscap to maximize on flow)....all these also depends on the state of your tank....if it has matured significantly, you can start reducing all this SLOWLY over time.....;)

over the course of 2 years i have increase temp by 1 degree, reduce my return pumps from 100w to 50w, stop running my wavebox and also a tunze pump.....all these without any noticable effect on the well being and growth of my SPS...;)

Agreed with Tineng, the cost of replacing pumps can be much higher and you could end up with no working skimmer when parts run out.

The concept of chiller vs pump is different. Where chiller is design to to switch on/off when desired while the pump is not. For certain model of pump, the impellor could jam if turn on and off too regularly. :paiseh:

Tom

• SRC Member

mm.. i also dun think its wise to start/stop skimmer. after all even the best skimmer will take sometime to run in. its just how a skimmer works by bubbling the organics and protein up...

i too have been looking into ways of reducing electricity usage... have since stripped off my chiller and using fan (evaporative cooling) and ATO. when ATO kicks in, it pumps in kalk water (kalk reactor) which helps keep my calcium level... so striping the need for CR and pH controller... although once in awhile the ph does go abit high (on a hot day), but generally my LS and corals are very happy.

the fan helps keep the t5 fixture cool too, which increases the lifespan of the tubes. t5 tubes have mecury in it and is not as environmentally friendly as LED, but LED is still costly and not as good (imo) yet.

would also like to try out the scrubber but am kindof lazy to diy it... currently i think my refugium is quite good already