My first 8G/30L Boyu Nano tank... help needed?

• SRC Member
Okie guys...

Just a little update...

1. Tank wash and sand added.

2. Bought Saltwater from Fish shop and been cycling the water for 2 days

3. Add "easyneo" for good bacteria to grow which purchase last week. www.easylife.nl

4. Temp range from 25.5 to 26.8 for weekdays. Will update weekend temp on Monday.

Update 27.02.09

5. Add some live rock this afternoon and drop in a dead prawn (got it from the pasir ris FS)

6. Bought Ammonia kit, test the water, it read 0.25

Update 02.03.09 (day 04) - Cycle period

More dead worms found on seabed. Just clear it almost 90%.

Why there are so many bubbles on the surface of the water? Is it normal? What should be done.

Check the Ammonia, reading 4.0.

Water is cloudy? Is it normal? Or what should I do?

I think it is normal for the water to be cloudy, what filter media are you using by the way? The die off of those pests are also nothing out of the ordinary, though I suggest you ditch the crabs, they will wreck havoc on your corals in future. The rising ammonia is a good sign, once it peaks and starts to fall, you can test for the presence of nitrite.

As for the bubbles on the surface, I think they are the by products of decomposing material, I suggest you get a surface skimmer to remove the surface scum, I think Boyu makes a surface skimmer attachment for their nano tanks, costs a few bucks only. It is a simple piece of plastic attached to the overflow inlet, and creates a natural suction to remove things from the surface.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the sand, since it is not labeled for marine use, and it was bought from a freshwater shop, I think it is probably not suitable for reef tanks as we don't know what mineral compound it is made of and what kind of minerals and metals it will leach into the water.

Opp car mart I thought is POSB bank and stationery shop and Thai minimarts? I just had lunch there, maybe next time should pay more attention hahaha.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
I think it is normal for the water to be cloudy, what filter media are you using by the way? The die off of those pests are also nothing out of the ordinary, though I suggest you ditch the crabs, they will wreck havoc on your corals in future. The rising ammonia is a good sign, once it peaks and starts to fall, you can test for the presence of nitrite.

As for the bubbles on the surface, I think they are the by products of decomposing material, I suggest you get a surface skimmer to remove the surface scum, I think Boyu makes a surface skimmer attachment for their nano tanks, costs a few bucks only. It is a simple piece of plastic attached to the overflow inlet, and creates a natural suction to remove things from the surface.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the sand, since it is not labeled for marine use, and it was bought from a freshwater shop, I think it is probably not suitable for reef tanks as we don't know what mineral compound it is made of and what kind of minerals and metals it will leach into the water.

Opp car mart I thought is POSB bank and stationery shop and Thai minimarts? I just had lunch there, maybe next time should pay more attention hahaha.

I feel relieve for the cloudy water as you mention is normal.

As for the filter media, it come together with the tank. I dun know what is it :unsure:

Will try to catch the crab if i saw it.

Will look for a skimmer soon, hopefully can something compact and fit well to the nenotank.

Pauline did mention on the sand and I'm worry too and will monitor another few days before decide to ditch the sand.

Yes.. if you walk towards the direction from the POSB towards the Thai minimark, is just behind the corner where there's a bicycle shop and car accessories. Hope you can find that shop, afterall they selling fresh water fish.

• SRC Member
I feel relieve for the cloudy water as you mention is normal.

As for the filter media, it come together with the tank. I dun know what is it :unsure:

Will try to catch the crab if i saw it.

Will look for a skimmer soon, hopefully can something compact and fit well to the nenotank.

Pauline did mention on the sand and I'm worry too and will monitor another few days before decide to ditch the sand.

Yes.. if you walk towards the direction from the POSB towards the Thai minimark, is just behind the corner where there's a bicycle shop and car accessories. Hope you can find that shop, afterall they selling fresh water fish.

The sponge in the filter compartment will probably clear any solid debris and scum in a few days, you should take it out and wash every week or so to get rid of the scum.

I know where the shop is liao! Must be new cos I never noticed it before, I know there used to be one near the fruit/joss paper shop.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
The sponge in the filter compartment will probably clear any solid debris and scum in a few days, you should take it out and wash every week or so to get rid of the scum.

I know where the shop is liao! Must be new cos I never noticed it before, I know there used to be one near the fruit/joss paper shop.

Must I wash the sponge during the cycle period or after the cycle period?

Just flush with tap will do is it? :thanks:

• SRC Member
Okie guys...

Just a little update...

1. Tank wash and sand added.

2. Bought Saltwater from Fish shop and been cycling the water for 2 days

3. Add "easyneo" for good bacteria to grow which purchase last week. www.easylife.nl

4. Temp range from 25.5 to 26.8 for weekdays. Will update weekend temp on Monday.

Update 27.02.09

5. Add some live rock this afternoon and drop in a dead prawn (got it from the pasir ris FS)

6. Bought Ammonia kit, test the water, it read 0.25

Update 02.03.09 (day 04) - Cycle period

More dead worms found on seabed. Just clear it almost 90%.

Why there are so many bubbles on the surface of the water? Is it normal? What should be done.

Check the Ammonia, reading 4.0.

Water is cloudy? Is it normal? Or what should I do?

Update 04.03.09

7. Ammonia reading 8.0...the peak

8. Nitrite reading 0.25

9. Water become clear

Hope this is a good sign :rolleyes:

• Senior Reefer

ur on ur way!! that ammonia reason is so high wa piang! thats good good!! give it more time and soon it will drop to 0, and ur nitrite will peak up like crazy. then give it more time and u will get 0 nitrite and alot of nitrates. do a final partial water change to eliminate the nitrate once and for all, and ur cycling is complete

• SRC Member
Must I wash the sponge during the cycle period or after the cycle period?

Just flush with tap will do is it? :thanks:

Sponge I suppose can wash anytime, just rinse vigorously in a bucket of tap water.

Your tank cycling seems to be progressing right on schedule. Be patient with the nitrite, it will peak for a while and stay that way, and just as you start contemplating whether to change water or play cheat somehow, it will suddenly drop. I think I read somewhere that the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite takes longer to build up. :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer
Sponge I suppose can wash anytime, just rinse vigorously in a bucket of tap water.

Your tank cycling seems to be progressing right on schedule. Be patient with the nitrite, it will peak for a while and stay that way, and just as you start contemplating whether to change water or play cheat somehow, it will suddenly drop. I think I read somewhere that the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite takes longer to build up. :P

there are 2 different kinds of bacteria. one to convert ammonia to nitrite, and one to convert nitrite to nitrate. the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite will need to build up first. only then will the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate can start feeding on the nitrite and multiply.

nitrosomonas species of bacteria converts ammonia to nitrite, and nitrobacter species oxidises nitrite to nitrate (: if im wrong someone pls correct me haha

• SRC Member
ur on ur way!! that ammonia reason is so high wa piang! thats good good!! give it more time and soon it will drop to 0, and ur nitrite will peak up like crazy. then give it more time and u will get 0 nitrite and alot of nitrates. do a final partial water change to eliminate the nitrate once and for all, and ur cycling is complete

Yupeee.. I'm on the way...(finger cross), once the nitrite reach peak, will the water turn cloudy again <_< ??

BTW, you mention partial water change... only do it after the the nitrates drop to 0 (the end of cycling process).

When is the good time to clean / wash the filter during the cycle process and after the process?

• SRC Member

Can I do it after the process of now? Now i learn to be patient..... especially when everything is on the right track and water is clear.. :rolleyes:

I do read some article saying it need more times to convert nitrite to nitrate. Patient..... :whistle

Thanks...

• SRC Member
Can I do it after the process of now? Now i learn to be patient..... especially when everything is on the right track and water is clear.. :rolleyes:

I do read some article saying it need more times to convert nitrite to nitrate. Patient..... :whistle

Thanks...

Oops, I meant nitrite to nitrate too haha, confused myself for a second there. I'm impressed by your patience, you will be rewarded with a stable tank at the end of all this :)

The sponge I think can wash anytime, cos bacteria is not known to populate the sponge. These are the things that's shouldn't be washed, ever: ceramic rings, live sand, live rocks. Okay, maybe live rocks a bit more flexible, sometimes you do have to freshwater dip them to get rid of pests or scrub algae off.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

hmm. nitrates are the finish products of the nitrogen cycle i THINK. i know sometimes nitrates are converted into nitrogen gas also. but usually nitrates not bring down by any bacteria. will just accumulate accumulate...best is to do a water chang eon ur part to manually remove it. at the end of the cycle u will have alot of nitrates. just do a partial water change and bring it down. can le.

• SRC Member

Very patient noob. You'll be rewarded with a stable tank. In reefing, patience is definitely a virtue. Next up is self control. Fish, inverts, corals, anything must be added one at a time with at least 1 week interval. This will allow sufficient time for your tank to adjust to the new bioload. Adding too many too soon will crash your tank and trigger a re-cycle... killing most if not all your precious gems. This scenario is called new tank syndrome.

Also since your tank is small, research and plan your livestock carefully. Compatibility issues dictates that you introduce your specimens in a certain sequence to keep them from fighting.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
hmm. nitrates are the finish products of the nitrogen cycle i THINK. i know sometimes nitrates are converted into nitrogen gas also. but usually nitrates not bring down by any bacteria. will just accumulate accumulate...best is to do a water chang eon ur part to manually remove it. at the end of the cycle u will have alot of nitrates. just do a partial water change and bring it down. can le.

Got it...will change 20% of water weekly after the cycle.. hope I can "tahan" this weekly job.

BTW, how troublesome to mix the salt water? Once done, must let it settle for days? need to test? tap water or distilled water etc...?

Any topics on this?

BTW, how much is a pack for "OK" marine salt for mixture?

because I'm using a small tank 30L, is it easier to purchase from farmway as I need 1 pack will do :)

:thanks:

• SRC Member
Very patient noob. You'll be rewarded with a stable tank. In reefing, patience is definitely a virtue. Next up is self control. Fish, inverts, corals, anything must be added one at a time with at least 1 week interval. This will allow sufficient time for your tank to adjust to the new bioload. Adding too many too soon will crash your tank and trigger a re-cycle... killing most if not all your precious gems. This scenario is called new tank syndrome.

Also since your tank is small, research and plan your livestock carefully. Compatibility issues dictates that you introduce your specimens in a certain sequence to keep them from fighting.

hi iskay, :thanks:

Huh... i hope i can add LS soon but weekly... :pinch: hmmmmm.. the magic word "RE-cycling" will freak me out and I will follow the weekly work and adding LS slowly... I read about the planning of LS.... is damn interesting :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Again... I will need all bro & sis to help on this for the LS

Let me work out a list of fishes, coral, SPS etc... hahahha hope is not too crowed for all in one Nano tank.. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Generally, LS from least demanding to most (in my opinion).

Least

Fishes

Inverts

soft corals

LPS

SPS

Most

Don't even try SPS until your tank is stabilized for at least 6 months.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Update 04.03.09

8. Nitrite reading 0.25

9. Water become clear

WHAT HAPPEN.... :eyeblur::pinch:

I just test the water.... Ammonia still read 8.0 no sign of dropping and Nitrite drop to 0 from 0.25.

Water remain clear... pls help.... :eyeblur:

• SRC Member
WHAT HAPPEN.... :eyeblur::pinch:

I just test the water.... Ammonia still read 8.0 no sign of dropping and Nitrite drop to 0 from 0.25.

Water remain clear... pls help.... :eyeblur:

Don't worry, since ammonia is still at 8, that means there's still some time to go before nitrite really rises to it's peak. The API test kit is not really reliable at the lower readings, sometimes the colour between cyan and violet is hard to differentiate too under different lighting conditions. Nitrite will rise over the next few days.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
Don't worry, since ammonia is still at 8, that means there's still some time to go before nitrite really rises to it's peak. The API test kit is not really reliable at the lower readings, sometimes the colour between cyan and violet is hard to differentiate too under different lighting conditions. Nitrite will rise over the next few days.

:thanks: I feel relieve :whistle dun want to go through this process again.. <_<

Oh no, she is gonna regret not giving you permission... I can foresee you "working" late and returning to the office on weekends to "check on work" in the weeks to come..... Muahahahaha! :lol:

She may regret even more if she let you keep a marine tank at home....Weekends burn working on tank, cheong lfs, surf net to learn more.......been through that :whistle

• SRC Member

No matter what, your squeeze will regret.

One way to lessen the impact is to rope her in. This works only if she has interest in living things or had kept pets before.

Another is to buy livestock of her favourite color/s. At least you can point to them and say the colors are so nice... :idea:

She may regret even more if she let you keep a marine tank at home....Weekends burn working on tank, cheong lfs, surf net to learn more.......been through that :whistle

• SRC Member

hahahaah... i dun think wife will let me keep any pet at home.. She want to be the only pet :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Update 04.03.09

8. Nitrite reading 0.25

9. Water become clear

Update 09.03.09 (Day 10)

HELP....... :ph34r:

No sign of Ammonia drop..still at 8.0

No sign of Nitrite too

What you I do now? Pls advice

Update 09.03.09 (Day 10)

HELP....... :ph34r:

No sign of Ammonia drop..still at 8.0

No sign of Nitrite too

What you I do now? Pls advice

Relax! :upsidedown:

Do more reading online, research on livestock you would like to keep in the future.

Go out drink a cup of kopi, grab a beer :pirate:

If on Day 30 your Ammonia still at 8.0 then panic stations!!

Buy a new test kit and test again (get Salifert / Tropic Marin / API one).

If there is still ammonia after 30 days...err not good..

Probably need to strip everything down, throw away that black gravel, buy Aragonite Sand and restart cycle..

But until then don't worry about it, and just let nature take its course.

• SRC Member
Relax! :upsidedown:

Do more reading online, research on livestock you would like to keep in the future.

Go out drink a cup of kopi, grab a beer :pirate:

If on Day 30 your Ammonia still at 8.0 then panic stations!!

Buy a new test kit and test again (get Salifert / Tropic Marin / API one).

If there is still ammonia after 30 days...err not good..

Probably need to strip everything down, throw away that black gravel, buy Aragonite Sand and restart cycle..

But until then don't worry about it, and just let nature take its course.

Thanks Fuzzy..... :whistle Ok.. will monitor and 2 weeks..

Will see you guys soon for the next topic.. Fish to keep :rolleyes: if everything is ok..hahaha