probs encountered during cycling

Hi,

Recently decided to convert my fresh water 2ft tank in my office to marine keeping.

Decided to keep FOWLR but due to my office is 24 hrs aircon, so may decide to take advantage of the cold surrounding.

My tank (2ft by 1 ft by 1 ft) previoiusly use for circlids keeping

I have done the followings.

1) Filled tank with sea water (Purchased from Coral farm)

2) connected Jebo 180 protein skimmer with AP1500 powerhead)

3) Connected resun C-20 mini cannister filter 200L/Hr (But i think super underpower)

4) Add in 3 kg of live rocks, 0.5 cm thin layer of sand (from beach, already rinse and cleaned)

5) Going to test for ammonia, followed by NO2 and NO3. (That will b e done somewhere in April) Will be going on a course, so I have the time luxury to allow the cycling process.

Any brothers here will like to comment on my processes and advise?

I discovered that my skimmer, is not skimming anything. Is it because there is no waste as i had not put in any live stocks..

The water output from the skimmer is too powerful and they generate a lot of tiny thin air bubbles. I had tried to control the valve of the airtube connecting to the skimmer, but it only control the power of the air bubbles. The air bubbles stiill exists.. Anyone can help me on that? Will appreciate all comments and criticism.. thanks bros..

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Hi,

Recently decided to convert my fresh water 2ft tank in my office to marine keeping.

Decided to keep FOWLR but due to my office is 24 hrs aircon, so may decide to take advantage of the cold surrounding.

My tank (2ft by 1 ft by 1 ft) previoiusly use for circlids keeping

I have done the followings.

1) Filled tank with sea water (Purchased from Coral farm)

2) connected Jebo 180 protein skimmer with AP1500 powerhead)

3) Connected resun C-20 mini cannister filter 200L/Hr (But i think super underpower)

4) Add in 3 kg of live rocks, 0.5 cm thin layer of sand (from beach, already rinse and cleaned)

5) Going to test for ammonia, followed by NO2 and NO3. (That will b e done somewhere in April) Will be going on a course, so I have the time luxury to allow the cycling process.

Any brothers here will like to comment on my processes and advise?

I discovered that my skimmer, is not skimming anything. Is it because there is no waste as i had not put in any live stocks..

The water output from the skimmer is too powerful and they generate a lot of tiny thin air bubbles. I had tried to control the valve of the airtube connecting to the skimmer, but it only control the power of the air bubbles. The air bubbles stiill exists.. Anyone can help me on that? Will appreciate all comments and criticism.. thanks bros..

u can try to put a piece of wool on the output to reduce the bubble.... just my 2 cents

• SRC Member

When you are cycling your tank, no need to skim. Check out other threads there fellow reefers have given lots of info on cycling. it'll help.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

When you are cycling your tank, no need to skim. Check out other threads there fellow reefers have given lots of info on cycling. it'll help.

Okie. Thanks bro...

Im still reading thru the threads... i see a lot of stars...haha.. thanks... thought of putting cotton wool.. but afraid that the output too much and wil spill over the tank edge. But will try to adjust the wool in the mean while. Thanks....

Will appreciate any other advise or comment also.. Happy marine keeping, guys..

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member
Okie. Thanks bro...

Im still reading thru the threads... i see a lot of stars...haha.. thanks... thought of putting cotton wool.. but afraid that the output too much and wil spill over the tank edge. But will try to adjust the wool in the mean while. Thanks....

Bro it is useless putting wool. I have that jebo skimmer before. you can try to raise yr water level so that the water will not sprash so much. frankly that skimmer is not suitable...i have this in my store room for 6 months.

l7304smr.jpg

Ur live rocks and sand are gotten from beach right? If you rinse/wash them with fresh water, the beneficial bacteria will be washed off or die off.

You have to start the cycling process by introducing stuff that produce ammonia, since you are not rush in the cycling process (a perfect sign), you can put a piece of market prawn (dead prawn) into the tank in order to start the cycling process by letting the prawn produce ammonia. You will be away from your tank until april? You have to monitor the cycling process in order to make sure it went smooth, if you don't have the time to monitor, you have to make sure both ammonia and nitrite is 0 when you got back, nitrate should be detectable if your tank is cycling well.