NO3 Still Very High :(

• SRC Member
What is the difference between Nitrate Reactor and PO4 Reactor(can have pic to shown)? For my case now, which is more

important cos don't intend to spend so much on a small 2ft tank. I do not have a sump tank to holding all those reactor, so

any small size reactor can recommend? I will just put it inside the cabinet.

Tks

There are 2 types of Nitrate Reactors - 1. Using sulphur 2. Cultivating bacteria using bioballs inside the reactor (this method is more time consuming)

As for PO4 reactor, basically it is using phosphate absorbing/ binding media like rowaphos to reduce phosphate in the water.

You can combine 2 reactors...skimz has double chamber reactors.

But mind you all these are gonna cost you...decision is yours eventually. :lol:

l7304smr.jpg

I did invest in a Tunze Skimmer 9002 in my tank 1 week ago and a bottle of AZ-NO3, don't know whether is it necessary

and cost effective in buying another Skimz Monzter FM100 or not?

Beside AM, whereelse can I buy Skimz product?

Tks

Admiring a well designed Terrarium's garden indoor is like walking thru a garden after a whole day work...

• SRC Member
I did invest in a Tunze Skimmer 9002 in my tank 1 week ago and a bottle of AZ-NO3, don't know whether is it necessary

and cost effective in buying another Skimz Monzter FM100 or not?

Beside AM, whereelse can I buy Skimz product?

Tks

Chill out and monitor for next 3 days...so long yr corals doing fine, no need so gan cheong... :)

Manwhile, what are the media inside yr cannister compartments?

l7304smr.jpg

Chill out and monitor for next 3 days...so long yr corals doing fine, no need so gan cheong... :)

Manwhile, what are the media inside yr cannister compartments?

I agree with Mopiko and Ah Siang, reefing is a patience hobby requiring us to observe the tank and do correction on the root of the problem rather than grabbing the next new and shiny equipment on the market.

IMHO, from the look of you tank, you have come a long way and have succeed where some have not. My immediate suggestion for your tank will be do more frequent partial water changes, test and water and let your system recover.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

WoW! Today go and buy the PO4 Test kit to test, reading at 1ppm, NO3 a little bit went down already.

Maybe don't invest at so much new kit on the tank first, carry regular water change and be patient.

My canister have polyfilter, cotton wool, chacoal, sand/coral chips. Just change it 3 days ago.

My 2 ft tank is a mature tank, and have been in the marine setup for more than 4 yrs, the rescapeing just do 2 weeks back

after all my fishes dead due to power failure.

Admiring a well designed Terrarium's garden indoor is like walking thru a garden after a whole day work...

• SRC Member
WoW! Today go and buy the PO4 Test kit to test, reading at 1ppm, NO3 a little bit went down already.

Maybe don't invest at so much new kit on the tank first, carry regular water change and be patient.

My canister have polyfilter, cotton wool, chacoal, sand/coral chips. Just change it 3 days ago.

My 2 ft tank is a mature tank, and have been in the marine setup for more than 4 yrs, the rescapeing just do 2 weeks back

after all my fishes dead due to power failure.

That's good to hear bro! Looks like you are on the road to recovery... :D

l7304smr.jpg

Yeah ! Just chk my NO3 drop from 160 to 40ppm

It's take time...

Btw, my medial inside the canister ok right? Shall I just add in those NitrateLock/Rowsphos inside the canister or

external reactor, the placement of the media really make alot of different in result?

Nitrate Lock is to bring down the NO3 but Rowsphos is more for PO4 right?

• SRC Member
Yeah ! Just chk my NO3 drop from 160 to 40ppm

It's take time...

Btw, my medial inside the canister ok right? Shall I just add in those NitrateLock/Rowsphos inside the canister or

external reactor, the placement of the media really make alot of different in result?

Nitrate Lock is to bring down the NO3 but Rowsphos is more for PO4 right?

If you are using quality charcoal, that's ok...but have to change after 2-3 months, otherwise will leak phosphate back to water.

Have to dose trace elements weekly as activated carbon (charcoal commonly called) will absorb trace elements also.

Rowaphos more for phosphate technically...but acutally nitrate and phosphate are similar..they are nitrogen or nutrients.

You may want to put biohome or media to cultivate bacteria in yr 2nd compartment. Your carbon can place in 1st compartment with filter wool.

l7304smr.jpg

If you are using quality charcoal, that's ok...but have to change after 2-3 months, otherwise will leak phosphate back to water.

Have to dose trace elements weekly as activated carbon (charcoal commonly called) will absorb trace elements also.

Rowaphos more for phosphate technically...but acutally nitrate and phosphate are similar..they are nitrogen or nutrients.

You may want to put biohome or media to cultivate bacteria in yr 2nd compartment. Your carbon can place in 1st compartment with filter wool.

Hi bro,

I believe there's a typo: Phosphate is not similar to nitrate, nitrite or even nitrogen. Phosphate can only be absorb by phosphate remove such as rowaphos and cannot be broken down in our tanks, where as nitrate is part of the nitrogen cycle. But you are right, they are all unwanted nutrients... ;)

:peace:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

I have just change the Charcoal in the canister last week(the old one have been inside for more than 3mths). I start adding Trace Element

since last week during every water change. So I guess really need to wait for the water to back to perfect condition again.

How do you rate AquaPharm products, cos I bot more than 9 bots from AM ranging from 5 in 1 coral food, Marine Builder & Buffer, Trace Elements,

Iodine, Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium etc...

• SRC Member
I have just change the Charcoal in the canister last week(the old one have been inside for more than 3mths). I start adding Trace Element

since last week during every water change. So I guess really need to wait for the water to back to perfect condition again.

How do you rate AquaPharm products, cos I bot more than 9 bots from AM ranging from 5 in 1 coral food, Marine Builder & Buffer, Trace Elements,

Iodine, Magnesium, Calcium, Strontium etc...

I can't really comment on Aquapharm additives as i have not use them except for de-chorinator to treat tap water. :P

Anyway, since you have already got them, must well use them...i do know AM carries a number of brands and can be confusing to new birds who are looking for additives. :D

l7304smr.jpg

Have you found out what you have done right to reduce the NO3 from 100+ppm to 40ppm?

If yes, you can choose to continue doing the same thing and with time, your NO3 should drop to a stabilize value.

Main point - No need to spend $$ on other items, which you may/may not find it to be useful in future. Take some time to think it over before spending the $$.

My previous 3ft tank use to have over 100ppm of NO3. I changed water weekly for close to a month, and it drop to lesser than 10ppm. After that i just do a weekly water change, never run any rowa or carbon (i do have a skimmer).

:rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Would be good if you can clarify how much new livestock (corals, fish, etc) has entered your tank and how frequent after the fish die-off incident? Reading from your first post to this thread, seemed like you've bioloaded your tank too quickly after the fish die off incident.

It'll also be good if you can provide us the vital water parameters: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. If the either of the first 2 was high, then your tank might have gone through a new cycle (New Tank Syndrome) thus producing the large amount of nitrates as you have indicated. If this is the case, the best way is to keep up with regular water changes and wait for the anaerobic bacteria in your Live Rock and Livesand to convert them to nitrogen gas to be safely expelled from your tank.

You also mentioned that your tank's been around for 4-5 yours. This can mean that your problem can be what people call the Old Tank Syndrome. The quickest way to deal with this is a huge water change. Check this link out for some radical ideas.

Of course commercialization has provided many products for nitrate reduction like AZ-NO3. But I believe regular tank maintenance, water changes are still the best solution longer term.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Tks again. All the members here are indeed very very helpful. The NO3 drop I guess is partly due to I change 30% of the tank water every 3 days for the past 2 weeks, and also I have put in a Tunze 9002 Skimmer in my tank since last week. In addition, I do dose the AZ-NO3 to my tank.

My PO4 reading last night also super high, today I bot the Sorb4 and will put in the canister tonight to see whether can bring down the PO4. Don't wish to spend additional $$$ on the reactor yet.

Bro iskay, after the fish die off incident, in less than 4 days after changing water and filter media, I start rescapeing again, which is introducing in alot of

corals and fishes(small) in my tank...

Btw my anemonies recently like to open-up when the tank lights is on just next to one of the zoa on the sand bed and touches it, will it cause damage to that coral?

Tks

post-16076-1236668121.jpg

Tks again. All the members here are indeed very very helpful. The NO3 drop I guess is partly due to I change 30% of the tank water every 3 days for the past 2 weeks, and also I have put in a Tunze 9002 Skimmer in my tank since last week. In addition, I do dose the AZ-NO3 to my tank.

My PO4 reading last night also super high, today I bot the Sorb4 and will put in the canister tonight to see whether can bring down the PO4. Don't wish to spend additional $$$ on the reactor yet.

Bro iskay, after the fish die off incident, in less than 4 days after changing water and filter media, I start rescapeing again, which is introducing in alot of

corals and fishes(small) in my tank...

Btw my anemonies recently like to open-up when the tank lights is on just next to one of the zoa on the sand bed and touches it, will it cause damage to that coral?

Tks

Hi Bro,

Looking at your FTS I find that you are a very humble reefer. I have seen worst tanks and yet they refused to seek for help. :bow:

All the best, really hope to meet up with you one day! ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

Looking at your FTS I find that you are a very humble reefer. I have seen worst tanks and yet they refused to seek for help. :bow:

All the best, really hope to meet up with you one day! ;)

I think mine more humble...lolx..some of his corals quite power one... :lol: just kidding

l7304smr.jpg

I think mine more humble...lolx..some of his corals quite power one... :lol: just kidding

:rolleyes: I like your "help whenever I can" attitude. ;) Should visit you one day too.... :peace:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Jio me along too when u isit their tank bro.. cos i see many gems :eyebrow:

Finally you appear... :upsidedown: since when I reef without you???? :eyebrow:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

WoW! All the Senior & Super Senior Mentor visiting my thread, me really very "pai seh", so lousy tank still can show you all,

me better go and hide far far liao :)

Really thanks for all the valuable advise and comments.

May all our success in 2009!

Tks Bro Lemon,

Just shifted my zoa slightly away from my anemone, now my zoa feel not so stress and within 5 mins starts to show her beauty :)

Me tot of taken out the anemone but quite difficult, the anemone looks like gue on to the sand already, so I dare not use too much

strength to try. My Maroon Clown love the Goniopora more than the Anemone, always play with the goniopora, leading my

goniopora very stressful. Me still considering getting the Perc Clown pair from ML but afraid they will fight :(

post-16076-1236699160.jpg