Advice on protein skimmer for nano tank

Not sure if I posted this in the wrong section earlier because there is no reply. So thought this section might be better.

I was thinking of getting a HOB skimmer for my 1ft tank. But not sure what brand or model is suitable. Thus need advice on:

1. suitable brand/model

2. where to get it

3. price range (so i can decide how big a hole to burn on my pocket) :-)

Prefer to get a reliable and quiet one cos my tank is in office. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Corals: Zoas, Rics, Hammer, Blue & Green Starpolyps.

• SRC Member

Red Sea Prizm with overflow attachment and media compartment ;)

You can buy a brand new one or get it from here: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79500

I'm selling my Tunze DOC Nano Skimmer for $200 if you want, but it is in-tank =)

http://www.braedel.com/root/Saltwater_Blog.../DSC_0913_2.jpg

Regards,

David

Red Sea Prizm with overflow attachment and media compartment ;)

You can buy a brand new one or get it from here: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79500

I'm selling my Tunze DOC Nano Skimmer for $200 if you want, but it is in-tank =)

http://www.braedel.com/root/Saltwater_Blog.../DSC_0913_2.jpg

Regards,

David

Thanks David. Do you know where can I buy a brand new Red Sea Prizm?

What is that compartment/thing behind the tank in the picture that you posted? Looks nice. Btw, how long have you use your Tunze skimmer?

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

search the buy/sell forum, think bro jyoon, tansk, etc are selling them. New one will cost you more than 200 bucks....second hand one is from 30 to 80 plus. This skimmer does not take up your available tank space as compared to tunze which bro hobbes mentioned. Just take measure to ensure it fits nicely cos i remember seeing your tank is rather small. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

I just read some reviews of Red Sea Prizm and one common disadvantage is the noise level. As my tank is on office table, I'm quite concerned over noise level.

How abt AquaC Nano Remora? Is this good? Do we have it here?

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Reefdepot used to carry them but think they have stop bringing in because they are rather brittle and crack easily. 1 ft tank is rather small and if noise is an issue, maybe you will have to consider those skimmer running on air pump ....think you will need to get the sander wood to run it effectively. If not, you can try go to iwarna to check, they do have one skimmer ###### filter hang on device.. ..not sure the effectiveness but for 1 ft, i think regular water change will be good....for the noise level, unless your office is very quiet, if not, it is still bearable with proper maintenance....

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Reefdepot used to carry them but think they have stop bringing in because they are rather brittle and crack easily. 1 ft tank is rather small and if noise is an issue, maybe you will have to consider those skimmer running on air pump ....think you will need to get the sander wood to run it effectively. If not, you can try go to iwarna to check, they do have one skimmer ###### filter hang on device.. ..not sure the effectiveness but for 1 ft, i think regular water change will be good....for the noise level, unless your office is very quiet, if not, it is still bearable with proper maintenance....

Thanks for the advice. Will go check out Irwana over the weekends. Unfortunately my office is rather quiet...

My 1.5ft Nano tank

if you want quiet skimmer, you need needle wheel skimmer....if budget not an issue and outsump is preferred....mce600 a good choice but will be super over powered for your 1 ft. all the best.

Algae Scrubbler

Reason why wanna get a skimmer is, in case no time change water every week, water condition also not compromised. That time urgent leave more than one week so didn't change for 2 weeks. Come back time, tank is quite dirty. With skimmer, thought can ask colleague wash skimmer cup for me. Easier than asking them change water. Must plan for future in case I take long holidays.

My 1.5ft Nano tank