comycus

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Senior Reefer
put them higher up? Rhizos don't mind light... Minie's under direct lightings, not affected at all, still opens up during feeding time. In fact, think I've finally trained it to open up the whole day. The tentacles seem to be searching for food all the time.

they dont mind light you are right. because they have no zooxanthellae are are not light receptive at all. flow is more important

• SRC Member

This is the rhizo that I am talking about. Although I have shook out most of the sand, you can still see quite a bit of sand on the flesh of the rhizo. Currently feeding it so will see how much the tentacles will extend once fed. :P Previously extend ard 3 inches or more after feeding. Will probably release it if I get any reasonable offer for it.

rhizo1.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
I've been doing some research on these corals. It seems they can stand v. high flow, and laminar ones as well :) Hope my new scaping has good spot to put them in!

They will prefer low to medium flow and if you want the tentacles to extend until very long, you cannot have direct flow at them.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Dunno why think their tentacles come out longer in photos when they appear to be hanging. Maybe try to put them sideways also.

btw, the rhizo looks really poor thing... The flesh really start to recede le. Hope you manage to nurse them back to their glory days!

• SRC Member
This is the rhizo that I am talking about. Although I have shook out most of the sand, you can still see quite a bit of sand on the flesh of the rhizo. Currently feeding it so will see how much the tentacles will extend once fed. :P Previously extend ard 3 inches or more after feeding. Will probably release it if I get any reasonable offer for it.

rhizo1.jpg

probably u have to remove it out of the tank and use yr mouth to blow out the sand using a straw

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Dunno why think their tentacles come out longer in photos when they appear to be hanging. Maybe try to put them sideways also.

btw, the rhizo looks really poor thing... The flesh really start to recede le. Hope you manage to nurse them back to their glory days!

Yup, this rhizo is in the worst condition I've ever seen it in...also in the worst condition amongst all my other rhizos. The rest of my rhizos are still doing fine.

If you want your rhizo to have tentacles that extend to 6 inches, do what I did last time... :eyebrow:

finely chopped silver fish, prawn and mussels mixed with 5 in one coral food and seachem reef plus. Leave it for 30 mins.

After that, take your rhizo out and place it in a tupperware filled with your tank water. use a syringe to feed the mixture to your rhizo. Let your rhizo feed for 30-60 mins. If your rhizo feeds, what you will see is that the flesh will bloat up a LOT. I have seen mine bloat more than 1 inch above the skeleton. Once this happens, put it back into your aquarium and you can see how long the tentacles will extend.

Do this every night for a week and you will see the tentacles extend a LOT after that. Do it for a month and you might be able to see the tentacles extend to 6 inches... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Yup, this rhizo is in the worst condition I've ever seen it in...also in the worst condition amongst all my other rhizos. The rest of my rhizos are still doing fine.

If you want your rhizo to have tentacles that extend to 6 inches, do what I did last time... :eyebrow:

finely chopped silver fish, prawn and mussels mixed with 5 in one coral food and seachem reef plus. Leave it for 30 mins.

After that, take your rhizo out and place it in a tupperware filled with your tank water. use a syringe to feed the mixture to your rhizo. Let your rhizo feed for 30-60 mins. If your rhizo feeds, what you will see is that the flesh will bloat up a LOT. I have seen mine bloat more than 1 inch above the skeleton. Once this happens, put it back into your aquarium and you can see how long the tentacles will extend.

Do this every night for a week and you will see the tentacles extend a LOT after that. Do it for a month and you might be able to see the tentacles extend to 6 inches... :eyebrow:

will moving the coral in and out of the tank stress it?

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
probably u have to remove it out of the tank and use yr mouth to blow out the sand using a straw

Yup, but if I get the sand out now, when i put it back into my tank, it is going to get sand back in it again once my goby gets to work... :rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
will moving the coral in and out of the tank stress it?

Nope. Anyway, you can always get your tupperware underwater and then place the rhizo in your tupperware and then lift everything out of the tank... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Nope. Anyway, you can always get your tupperware underwater and then place the rhizo in your tupperware and then lift everything out of the tank... :eyebrow:

It's not a good idea to expose their tentacles to air. Do it underwater.

But then again, Rhizos are v. easy to feed. I guess I will just feed them more the next few days and see what happens :)

• SRC Member
It's not a good idea to expose their tentacles to air. Do it underwater.

But then again, Rhizos are v. easy to feed. I guess I will just feed them more the next few days and see what happens :)

Feed them more and the tentacles will grow longer... :eyebrow: But overfeed them and your nitrates will shoot up... :P

You can try using henrys to feed them. You will see very good results with henrys also. Also thing you need to take note is your skimmer may overflow if you feed too much.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

rhizo1.jpg

holy shit, this thing looks disgusting..... reminds me of aliens..... SNAP!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
I confuse Rhizos and Japanese Sun is the same???

Mine bright yellow color one and open only in the mid night. Still cannot open day time.

Thare are from the same family but different from each other. Rhizo is also a Japanese Super Sun but it only has a single mouth. Suns may have many small mouths and super suns may have many big mouths.

If you want your sun to open in the day time, you have to squirt some coral food at it. Once it senses the food, it will open.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
holy shit, this thing looks disgusting..... reminds me of aliens..... SNAP!

It is a big mough eating a small fish... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Have fun with your up and coming rescape...

sure its a very promising one.

You can change your topic name already btw.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

from my experience, rhyzo will not be able to digest big size food for example like that fish that you feed them... even you can see, it can dissolved the whole big piece but later on they will vomit it or they will remain unopen due to stress....

I only feed my rhyzo & supersun once per week with small size of market prawn which can see good result of it..... but that's is me lar.... :D

{Tank Size:- 4ft L X 2ft W X 2.5ft H = Mixed Reef Tank}

{Light:- 2 X 54W T5 ATI - Aquablue Spezial & 1 Pro Color, 1 X 54W T5 Giesemann - Aquablue + & 1 Actinic +, 1 X 54W T5 UV H2ology}

{Chiller:- 1 HP split unit powered by Rio 14}

{Skimmer:- Reef Maniac Beckett Skimmer Powered by Rio20}

{Fluidized Reactor:- Reef Maniac FR with Rowaphos media}

{Return Pump:- 1 unit X 5,400 L/H}

{Circulation Pump:- SEIO M1100 + M820}

{Photos:- Powered by Nikon 7D, 24-70mm f2.8 L Lens, 85mm f1.8,100mm f2.8 Macro Lens & 580EXII}

• SRC Member
from my experience, rhyzo will not be able to digest big size food for example like that fish that you feed them... even you can see, it can dissolved the whole big piece but later on they will vomit it or they will remain unopen due to stress....

I only feed my rhyzo & supersun once per week with small size of market prawn which can see good result of it..... but that's is me lar.... :D

For my big Rhizos, I feed them with 1 fish and small ones 1/2 fish 1-2 times per week. They do eat the fishes and don't vomit them out. After eating, they open until very big... :eyebrow:

In future I may blend fish, prawn and mussels for them as I want their tentacles to open longer... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
For my big Rhizos, I feed them with 1 fish and small ones 1/2 fish 1-2 times per week. They do eat the fishes and don't vomit them out. After eating, they open until very big... :eyebrow:

In future I may blend fish, prawn and mussels for them as I want their tentacles to open longer... :eyebrow:

they seems to eat so much...i wonder where all the food we gave them gone to? haha...my suns have been eating meaty stuffs everyday....

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

hmmm so far I've only been feeding mysis to my rhizos. I also flood reefroids, cyclopeeze, 5 in 1 and recently, Kent marine's phytomax every 1-2 days for my suns and other corals ((Not all at a time though!)

No problems, but my suns never open big big... After I rescape, will cut up a coke bottle to target feed the suns. Hopefully they will open up in full glory then :)

btw... anyone has any good reviews on Kent Marine's so called expert series? Phytomax, Zoomax and Chromax?