'Coral Reef' brand salt

May&Bruce

• SRC Member

I usually use Coralife salt but cannot find in Singapore any more, so I just bought 'Coral Reef' brand salt thinking it was made in USA. But, when I get home and read the packaging properly and look on the internet I see that it is made in China.

Does anyone here use it? If so, any bad experiences? I keep mainly fish, with some LPS corals - nothing too difficult.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

I usually use Coralife salt but cannot find in Singapore any more, so I just bought 'Coral Reef' brand salt thinking it was made in USA. But, when I get home and read the packaging properly and look on the internet I see that it is made in China.

Does anyone here use it? If so, any bad experiences? I keep mainly fish, with some LPS corals - nothing too difficult.

Hi May&Bruce,

Its been quite a while since I saw your post, how's life been for you?

Coralife is still available, you can try Clementi 328.

Have seen Coral Reef salt around but never have the guts to try, maybe some of the bros here can advise, do let us know your observations too.

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Guys need advice, oceanic salt is it okay to use......

I'm using it now. :eyebrow: Was using some cheaper brand when its screw up my tank. :pinch:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi May&Bruce,

Its been quite a while since I saw your post, how's life been for you?

Coralife is still available, you can try Clementi 328.

Have seen Coral Reef salt around but never have the guts to try, maybe some of the bros here can advise, do let us know your observations too.

HTH ;)

Hi HTH

Yes, we are still around and enjoying our aquarium - just no time these days to be so active as before, on this forum.

Update on the 'Coral Reef' brand salt, as I had already bought it (thinking it was made in USA) I thought that I may as well use it so I did a 20% water change in my 150 gal tank (yeah, I know, a bit risky to do such a large watr change with an unknown salt). Anyway, 4 days later and everything looks fine - no dead fish or corals :blink:

Only thing is that the mixed salt remained cloudy even after mixing well and leaving overnight and there was some undissolved sediment in the bottom of the buckets. To be safe, when I have used this lot up, I will go back to a better known brand.

Still interested to hear anyone else's experience with 'Coral Reef' brand salt from China.

• SRC Member
try not to use this brand as LFS in S'pore have stopped importing them. if you happen to chance upon coralife, these are leftover stocks.

if you are looking at average brand, can try reef crystals which i'm using.

Was using coralife for the last 4 years with no problems - now they stopped importing it (dunno why....). Reef crystals? What is the price like?

Side track - Does these salt have expiry date? I have kept a box of marine environment salt for 3-4 years. Can I still use them?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!