FL Lighting...

wolfie

• SRC Member

Hi all... :)

I'm planning to get either PL / FL lights for my 2 footer reef tank. Coz no space to hang MH unless some bro out there got idea to stack up the MH on my tank... Ani brands 2 suggest? Izzit if I wanna get PL / FL, any type of casin' wil do... And the onli difference is in the lamps izzit? And for bonus, can some bro explain the electric jargons of lightings to a very sotong me pls? :D Thanks pple!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

If you get a wooden skirting for the top of the tank, you can rest a MH pendant on top of it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

If cost is a consideration, I saw Nature Aquarium has a full set 2 feet PL (nice alum casing with 2 switch). I think it will be around 80-90 bucks for a 10k white and a blue PL with a 2x36W e-ballast. Problem is - he has no stock for the 10k now. I think PL is generally preferred to FL - greater intensity.

• SRC Member

wow... ok... wat's the diff between FL & PL? Wat's the "long-form" for the both names?

Tanzy: wat do u mean by wooden skirting? dun quite get u... I tot pendant oso hang frm ceiling?

Norvin: Hw much is the casin' for the PL?

Is there a generic casing which can use both for PL & FL? Or izzit PL got PL casin'... And FL got FL casing?

• SRC Member

On the topic of lightings,

***Wooden Hooded tanks - or wodden skirting:-

Pendant MH Lights are about 8 -12 inch above water.

FL blue 03s few inches above water.

***Branded lighting system for example dupla(looks like space ship):-

All same level. 8 - 10 inch above level.

wont the branded light system have less 03 blue since it is higher?

would it mean that there is not enough 03 blue?

Or is that ok? B)

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

The wooden skirting is a 4" to 8" border on top of the glass tank that is not a full hood but has an open top. If a brace is incoporated, you can rest the MH pendant on top of it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

" If cost is a consideration, I saw Nature Aquarium has a full set 2 feet PL (nice alum casing with 2 switch). I think it will be around 80-90 bucks for a 10k white and a blue PL with a 2x36W e-ballast"

i asked the guy from nature if 2 X 36W ballast cud be used to control 2 different bulbs individually, he said no...

and then i asked my brother to be double sure,

he also said no...

the guy from nature told me that if i wanted to control 2 bulbs independently... i need to get 2 of the 1 X 36W...

could someone pls verify this?

• SRC Member

I think Sinn also confirmed that a two feet PL plus casing is around 80-90 bucks.

I DIYed mine as I too thought it will be much more $$$. Will be buying from Nature once my current DIY hood (combination of FL and PL) goes through a bit more "depreciation".

For the FL, you can actually buy standard Fl casing from any lighting shops and ask them to install the correct ballast for you. 2 feet is about S$9.50 each - casing, starter, iron ballast. Bough a alum reflector and modified it to fit my lights.

Some pics of my cheapskate light holder.

With Lights Off:

post-6-1041255699.jpg

• SRC Member

The center bulb is a PL. The one on the left is a T8 FL and the one on the right is a T12 FL.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Forgive me for being such a gundo... So do I go down 2 nature and say, "Uncle, where are ur T8 & T12s?" I read somewhere they say abt 6-10 watt per gallon. Wat r ur views? I kinda like Norvin's idea... U fink I can copy it for my 2 footer?

• SRC Member

I believe Nature, dealing with so much lighting should understand youo. T8 and T12 stands for the tube diameter. The blue FL is an actinic, it comes in both T8 and T12. The whiter FL looks like a 10000K, likewise, also comes in T8 and T12 sizes. Wattage is the same regardless of tube diameter between the two, only length determines wattage.

For a 2', you will be looking at 18-20W FL and 36W PL. Squeezing a bit you can get a total of 72W over 20gal of water using the same configuration as Norvin. Good enough to keep softies and some LPS. 10 watt/gal will require a 175W or 250W MH!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

T8 are suppose to be brighter than T12 but I've yet to come across real numbers from measurements. T12 tubes for aquarium use are usually Coralife brand which are more expensive.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Wolfie

Just logged on but Tanzy has answered most of yr queries (thanks Tanzy!)

Tanzy, PL is supposed to be brighter and longer-lasting than FL right?

My T8 is only 18W (Classica Blue), T12 is 36W (Coralife 20K) and PL is 36W 10K from Aqualux. My next DIY will be 3 x 36W (2 10K and one Acti-Blue). Think this will be enough for softies and some LPS.

I think Nature's 2 feet PL set with 2 lights may be the best "budget-friendly" so far.

• SRC Member

Hi Wolfie

Will not be DIYing so soon as i need my FLs to "depreciate" first before setting up the new 3 x 36W PL lights. But let me know if you need any help with more info.

Hi Anakjoh

So far no problems with the sockets becoming sticky etc and its been about 4 months since this was set up. But do check regularly that the plugs don't get loose and the whole thing decides to go swimming!