Where can I get some advice?

Hi

I'm new to marine aquarium. My plan is to keep 1 porcupine puffer and maybe another 2-4 clown fishes in a 70cm long tank. I've no plans to keep any corals, just the fishes mentioned. I've read up the forum postings (very shag), some internet articles (quite confusing) and bought a book (great book!) on how to set up a tank but I'm still quite clueless on the seize, type and brand of equipments that I should buy. The few shops that I went to weren't really interested to advice me on what I wanted to know unless I wanna buy from them. Can anyone suggest a shop that would give me honest advice on how to set up my tank? Or better still if you guys can give me recommendations to the equipments I should buy and if possible, give me a rough price for each of the equipments.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Joe

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

• SRC Member

Hi Joe,

U need:-

1. grade 0 or 1 sand, enuff to fill up 1-2 in assuming it's the usual 12 - 18 in H. BTW how high is the tank n depth?

2. some live rock - yr book should tell u how to arrange 'em.

3. a protein skimmer

4. filter (some say it's optional) canister or HOB

5. hydrometer, termometer

5. of course, some necessary test kits (pH, kH, NO3)

5. some clowns don't mix well - they fight n bully - even for the same type, preferably same sizes

I can't tell u much in detail about where to get n prices cos I'm in KL n I'm newbie myself. Do read the rest of the forums - all u need to know is there. I read up for 4 months b4 I embark.

I suppose others will give u more advice. :)

Hi anakjoh

thanks for replying. Do you have any suggestion on the kind of brand(s) I should get? Very scared of going to the shop and get recommended things that I don't need....kena chop carrot head ;p

The shops have been giving me answers contradicting to the book that I read so I don't trust their recommendations very much but I cannot just buy off the shelves cause I do not know what to buy. Eg, what kind/size/brand of skimmer, filter (canister or HOB?) to buy...etc...

The shops that I went to, one of them say I can just use their salt water and dump fish in while the other say I need to let the water settle for 3 days. None tell me I have to cycle my tank so abit afraid of taking their advice.

Thanks again ;p

• SRC Member

a rough gauge on prices on items mentioned by joh

1) grade 1 sand = $8.50 for 10kg

2) live rock = ranges from $5 - $10 per kg

3) protein skimmer = counter current skimmer= $20 normal venturi kind = $40, prism = $140 (ard there i think)

4) filter = not so sure, i think theres a post on it.. do a search :D

5) hydrometer, thermometer = $10 enough for both

5) test kits = one test kit ard $15

5) clowns = ard $2 - $5

prices are based on estimates and memory

• SRC Member

Sinn, in case u don't know, 6 is after 5 and 7 after 6 !! <_<

price comparison (all in RM) for what I use:-

1. grade 0 sand - 3.50/kg

2. live rock - 6/kg

3. Aquaclear HOB (Medium) - 96

4. counter-current protein skimmer (Resun?) - 50

5. hydrometer/termometer - 30/5 (both with rubber stoppers)

6. test kits (mainly Sera) - 20-30

7. clowns - 8

Ok, knowing nuts, I went and buy a submerged pump with a filter that is attached to the top of the tank. This is the recommendation of the shop. When I got home, I realise that the jet of water that is being pumped out is quite strong....do I need something that powerful? Should I change it to a smaller one?