My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

Hey hi humphead,

1) The LED definitely emits much less heat. The casing for the MH after usage of a few hrs is so hot that I cannot even touch it.

So tank gets heated up less, chiller should have kick in less as well.

2) The LED provides more uniform lighting throughout the tank. The MH is a single point of light source so there are a lot of shadows cast over the tank (depending on rock scaping) The side of the tank is definitely less intense in terms of lighting.

3) The MH definitely has a higher shimmering effect than the LED. Not that the LED doesn't has that though. Just that it is not as intense.

4) If you are just keeping SPS, I would suggest you go for the 160W. If you are going for a combination and minority SPS, then you can get the 110W. I have not seen the 160W though so this is just my best guess. If you check back in about 2 weeks time, I can update this thread how the SPS is doing in my tank. But it may not be accurate cause my tank is only about 1 month old. Hardly an ideal condition for SPS. But lets see how things turn out.

Sorry if I am not providing valuable inputs.

Hopefully in 2 weeks time, I can say if this is a good lightset or not.

rgds

Jacky

Thks Jacky for the invaluable feedbacks and comments.

That definitely gave me some idea on my choice of lightings to apply.

Will await ur feedback on ur LED performance in time to come.

:thanks: again Jacky!

unlikely the bicolour blenny that is causing the demise of ur sps. probably something else. these fishes are known to peck on corals but its very very rare and isolated cases.

mine did. saw it live in action. not once or twice but several times.

maybe the sps was on his territorial rock or i did not feed it enough.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
mine did. saw it live in action. not once or twice but several times.

maybe the sps was on his territorial rock or i did not feed it enough.

Jacky, thanks for your fishes... :eyebrow:

By the way, your maroon clown and the one in my tank started fighting once I released yours into my tank. Within 5 minutes, they were biting each other's fins and swimming around in circles while doing so.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Jacky, thanks for your fishes... :eyebrow:

By the way, your maroon clown and the one in my tank started fighting once I released yours into my tank. Within 5 minutes, they were biting each other's fins and swimming around in circles while doing so.

ouch. thought your maroon is in your 2 ft tank.

hope they are doing okay now including the ocellaris.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
ouch. thought your maroon is in your 2 ft tank.

hope they are doing okay now including the ocellaris.

In my 2ft tank, I have a 4.5 inch maroon. In my 3ft tank, I have a 1 inch maroon... :eyebrow: Right now, they seem to tolerate each other unless they bump into each other and a round of chasing begins... :rolleyes:

Funny thing though, I thoght you said your ocellaris was chased around by your maroon...In my tank, just now, when they bumped into each other, your ocellaris chased your maroon... :eyebrow: I guess this is karma... :rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

In my 2ft tank, I have a 4.5 inch maroon. In my 3ft tank, I have a 1 inch maroon... :eyebrow: Right now, they seem to tolerate each other unless they bump into each other and a round of chasing begins... :rolleyes:

Funny thing though, I thoght you said your ocellaris was chased around by your maroon...In my tank, just now, when they bumped into each other, your ocellaris chased your maroon... :eyebrow: I guess this is karma... :rolleyes:

The maroon would always be more aggressive and intimidate the ocellaris.

But the Ocellaris is able to stand by for itself and fend it off.

Nvr seen the Ocellaris chase after the maroon though.

What are you gonna do about it? (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

The fella came from a reefer's frag.

it is residing at the edge of a small piece of thin rock.

just back from action... hehe..... I simply took the whole frag piece out, cut away the edge of the rock where it is and put it back...

wahahahaha.... hope that is the only one in my tank.

• SRC Member

I thought you were going to cook it and eat it... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

some updates on the new SPS for you bro..

post-5684-1258903766_thumb.jpg

post-5684-1258903781_thumb.jpg

post-5684-1258903794_thumb.jpg

post-5684-1258903805_thumb.jpg

think I better let them thrive in your tank lol

Photos of the SPS.

SPS experts, pls help to ID.

Pls note that these photos are taken with lights totally switched off.

This one is purplish in colour.

The next 2 photos are the same SPS.

It is already brown when I got it.

I saw slight green when only blue lights is switch on.

This one is green in colour. Some of the tips are white (skeletal)

Is the SPS fading?

Experts, please help me out here.

Calcium : 400, dKH = 8, PH = 8.1 - 8.3 depending on time of the day/night

Thanks!

• SRC Member

Ya man...Juz bought a super sun from Jireh yesterday b4 going to collect the fishes from Jacky. Now placed in my sump training them to open big big 24 hrs per day.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Ya man...Juz bought a super sun from Jireh yesterday b4 going to collect the fishes from Jacky. Now placed in my sump training them to open big big 24 hrs per day.

try using the syringe technique in future.. it helps alot!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

Nah...in the sump, I just use the flooding method... :P

Flood with a mix of coral bloomer, zoo, copepods, rotifier and henrys. Feed like tat confirm open super duper big. :lol: My target is to get my suns and super suns to open as big as those in Henry's display tanks... ;)

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Nah...in the sump, I just use the flooding method... :P

Flood with a mix of coral bloomer, zoo, copepods, rotifier and henrys. Feed like tat confirm open super duper big. :lol: My target is to get my suns and super suns to open as big as those in Henry's display tanks... ;)

They do prefer meaty food. Suns may be able to survive if you flood everyday, but supersuns n rhizos have bigger appetite.

• SRC Member
They do prefer meaty food. Suns may be able to survive if you flood everyday, but supersuns n rhizos have bigger appetite.

Yup, that's why i flood with everything including henrys and that's twice a day feeding...once in the morning, once at night.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Yup, that's why i flood with everything including henrys and that's twice a day feeding...once in the morning, once at night.

Bro, worried that by flooding, you may end up with higher nitrates.. i used to do that which ultimately caused my tank to crash last year..

would highly recommend you to keep it easy and try to give more meaty food like market prawn occasionally instead...

just my 2 cents.. =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member
Bro, worried that by flooding, you may end up with higher nitrates.. i used to do that which ultimately caused my tank to crash last year..

would highly recommend you to keep it easy and try to give more meaty food like market prawn occasionally instead...

just my 2 cents.. =]

agree. Henry's is just too nutritional to flood. Besides the possibility of your suns getting them is lower with flooding.