advice needed

dear sifusss,

as i m converting my 3.5L x 1.5W x 2H IOS (with bracing on 4 side )to marine tank as i wanna keep as simple as possible (w/o chiller , w/o skimmer as no place to put the skimmer ).Juuz wanna chk hw many KG og LR can put in my tank??? n hw many fish to keep???

thanks in advance

• SRC Member
dear sifusss,

as i m converting my 3.5L x 1.5W x 2H IOS to marine tank as i wanna keep as simple as possible (w/o chiller , w/o skimmer as no place to put the skimmer ).Juuz wanna chk hw many KG og LR can put in my tank??? n hw many fish to keep???

thanks in advance

hi bro welcome to reefing.

most importantly you need to ensure your tank thickness can withstand the pressure of the salt water. salt water create more pressure compared to fresh water tank.

its possible to keep fish only with live rocks without chiller but be quite hard to keep corals with chiller. unless the system is very matured with well balanced ecosystem and plenty of live rocks, i would say skimmer is the heart beat of marine tank and infact a must.

how much live rocks to use is up to you. good live rocks provides good bacteria to keep the system stable and provide the tank mates with hiding space.

this hobby requires money, time and commitment. i would strongly advise you to read up more in this forum and seek fellow experienced reefers advice as well. start right and you will enjoy the hobby for more than starting it on a wrong foot.

hi bro welcome to reefing.

most importantly you need to ensure your tank thickness can withstand the pressure of the salt water. salt water create more pressure compared to fresh water tank.

its possible to keep fish only with live rocks without chiller but be quite hard to keep corals with chiller. unless the system is very matured with well balanced ecosystem and plenty of live rocks, i would say skimmer is the heart beat of marine tank and infact a must.

how much live rocks to use is up to you. good live rocks provides good bacteria to keep the system stable and provide the tank mates with hiding space.

this hobby requires money, time and commitment. i would strongly advise you to read up more in this forum and seek fellow experienced reefers advice as well. start right and you will enjoy the hobby for more than starting it on a wrong foot.

i have actually briefly read thru as i gt a 14" marine tank right nw n already learnt some lessons eg getting livestock too soon...............................thickness of my new tank is 10mm with chengai stand (2 tier tank) i understand most corals need a chiller problem nw is the temp of my tank is ard 31.4 degrees.as for skimmer i got bracing all round is there any clip on skimmer tat i can clip onto the bracing???

anyway thanks for yr advice.........................

• SRC Member
i have actually briefly read thru as i gt a 14" marine tank right nw n already learnt some lessons eg getting livestock too soon...............................thickness of my new tank is 10mm with chengai stand (2 tier tank) i understand most corals need a chiller problem nw is the temp of my tank is ard 31.4 degrees.as for skimmer i got bracing all round is there any clip on skimmer tat i can clip onto the bracing???

anyway thanks for yr advice.........................

For skimmer, you can get either an in tank skimmer(Tunze 9002, 9005, 9010 etc) or a Hang on Skimmer (Red Sea Prizm, AquaC Remora, Deltec MCE300, MCE600 etc).

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

For skimmer, you can get either an in tank skimmer(Tunze 9002, 9005, 9010 etc) or a Hang on Skimmer (Red Sea Prizm, AquaC Remora, Deltec MCE300, MCE600 etc).

thanks alot...................................at least i knw tats an in tank skimmer tat i can use..................................

someone selling in the forum, $350 and yet negotiable.....act fast before it is gone for good....

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
thanks bro solo....................................

tats the Deltec MCE600... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
bro is tis skimmer tat i can place inside my tank as i gt no sump tank.

tats the hang on back skimmer. Inlet of the skimmer will be in your tank. Pumps and everything else will be behind your tank. You will need at least a 4 in clearance behind your tank to install this skimmer. A cheaper skimmer will be the red sea prizm but performance wise, it isn't as good as the mce600.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

it can hang my side of the tank :)

sigh............................i gt no space to hang on as both side r occupied with cabinet..........................doing more water change can i go w/o a skimmer???????????? as i m using a normal 20watt single tube light do i need gt it change ???

sigh............................i gt no space to hang on as both side r occupied with cabinet..........................doing more water change can i go w/o a skimmer????????????

helps if u can post some pics of the tank and cabinet

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

U have a 3x1,5x2 ft tank so it would be near impossible for you to go without a skimmer bacause you will need to do very frequent water changes if you do not use a skimmer...

The hang on skimmers can be hung at the back of your tank. Otherwise you can get the Tunze skimmers that are in tank skimmers, meaning you place them inside your tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

U have a 3x1,5x2 ft tank so it would be near impossible for you to go without a skimmer bacause you will need to do very frequent water changes if you do not use a skimmer...

The hang on skimmers can be hung at the back of your tank. Otherwise you can get the Tunze skimmers that are in tank skimmers, meaning you place them inside your tank.

tats wat i am looking for.......................................skimmer tat can be place inside the tank...........................

• SRC Member

You can either pull out the stand and hang skimmer at the back, or convert the bottom tank into sump/holding tank.

Just make a space for skimmer, if not ur fishes very stressed cos poor water quality.

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member
noted.............................ty

If you are getting the Deltec MCE skimmers, take note that you must have at least 4" clearance behind or at the side of the tank where you are hanging it. For Deltec, the MC500 model can be mounted INSIDE the tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

If you are getting the Deltec MCE skimmers, take note that you must have at least 4" clearance behind or at the side of the tank where you are hanging it. For Deltec, the MC500 model can be mounted INSIDE the tank.

same for both 300 & 600 ,Peter?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
same for both 300 & 600 ,Peter?

Yes, size wise, 300 and 600 are almost the same.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

The dimensions of the Deltec skimmers are in the link below:

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/files/D...imensions_2.pdf

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Oh well, here's my 2 cents worth. There are some things that you cannot go without if you want to keep a marine tank. I know you all may have heard of people keeping a skimmerless reef tank and so on, but those people have gone through a lot of experimentation and research to get their tank to run without the vital pieces of equipment.

A skimmer for a reef tank helps a lot, even a small one. You want to consider hang on back or in-tank skimmers if you say you have no space. Choices are, but not limited to these brands: reef octopus, red sea primz and boyu. I would sugguest the reef octopus hang on back BH1000.

As for the chiller, I have a simpler alternative - the fan. I use fans to cool my 2 foot reef tank and they have been doing a fine job of it (i use 12V computer fans, connected to a transformer (the set up cost around 10 bucks), there are other fans built specifically for aquarium use though). Energy saving, low cost. Just be sure to keep a spare fan set in case the ones you use break down. The evaporation is a killer though. I have to pour 1.5 l of water into my 80 l tank every day! But for the savings, it is worth it. In saying so, you must also be careful with the equipment you put into your tank if you plan to cool it by fans. Fans do not boast the cooling power of a chiller, so items such as metal halide lighting is not an option for your tank. You will have to use T5 or compact f. tubes.

A skimmer for a reef tank helps a lot, even a small one. You want to consider hang on back or in-tank skimmers if you say you have no space. Choices are, but not limited to these brands: reef octopus, red sea primz and boyu. I would sugguest the reef octopus hang on back BH1000.

tats wat i m advice by brossss here n the LFS i m going to get a in tank skimmer soon......................

As for the chiller, I have a simpler alternative - the fan. I use fans to cool my 2 foot reef tank and they have been doing a fine job of it (i use 12V computer fans, connected to a transformer (the set up cost around 10 bucks), there are other fans built specifically for aquarium use though). Energy saving, low cost. Just be sure to keep a spare fan set in case the ones you use break down. The evaporation is a killer though. I have to pour 1.5 l of water into my 80 l tank every day! But for the savings, it is worth it. In saying so, you must also be careful with the equipment you put into your tank if you plan to cool it by fans. Fans do not boast the cooling power of a chiller, so items such as metal halide lighting is not an option for your tank. You will have to use T5 or compact f. tubes.