near death mystery wrasse

• SRC Member

sad day..

bought a mystery wrasse during the iwarna shipment. I have a couple of wrasse in my tank so i chose the biggest available mystery wrasse to avoid bullying by the other tank mates. today i saw it stucked on the outer cover of my tunze, breathing rapidly and fins are all torned.....

1) I've moved it to my refugium, right now its on its side and breating rapidly. what or who could have caused it such serious injuries?

fish in my tank

-6-line wrasse(prime suspect)

-Leopard wrasse pair

-solar wrasse

-white tiger goby

-big algae blenny(maybe, i've seen in chase the smaller fishes in my tank)

-purple tang(aggressive, but not towards my other wrasses)

2) how could i provide it with better care to ensure a better chance of survival? right now its not eating...

Thanks

• SRC Member

hmm, purple tang from my tank nv att wrasse but only to it's family.

since you already put inside the refug, try to feed different kind of food from mysis, flakes, pellet e.t.c slowly and off the light to" less stress it" if it's eating then leave it there till it recovers

not sure whether mystery wrasse need a sandbed to sleep, if it does, pls put a tub of sand inside.

all the best to your wrasse!

• SRC Member

I say prime suspect prob ure six line... They belong to the same line family. Generally do not get along well.

How did you introduce the your mystery wrasse? I try to keep my wrasse in the betta box for at least a few days to monitor. Kinda gives your tank inhabitants some time to get used to the fish as well. Release only at night when lights are out so they can find their own territory in the dark, reducing aggression.

I dunno how to nurse it back to health other than providing it a safe haven, and try to make it as stress free as possible. That includes having some insulation pipings / rocks for it to hide in ure refug, not slamming your cabinet door, and since I'm paranoid, try not to keep peering into ure refug and see how it's doing. Prob give the poor fella even more stress.

Hope it gets better!

• Moderators

I do agreed with comycus that 6 lines is probably the main suspect. It can be an inch smaller but still a big terror once it is a "old" resident.

Chances is that the mystery had suffered quite a major injury all round by the attack and the tunze suction. Can only hope for the best. :(

Tom

• SRC Member

actually just to add, when choosing fish, "biggest available" might not necessarily be the best. I'm not pro at choosing fish, but I suppose body shape, finnage, colour, behaviour are some other indications to look out for.

It's always good to walk away from a potential purchase if you're not comfortable with the condition of the fish. but then again... easy to say, hard to put into practice.

I've heard alot of about the aggressiveness of 6-line, might want to consider selling it if you are intending to get more peaceful fishes in future. Actually between 6 line n PT, lol you're better off going for an aggressive tank le :P

• SRC Member

my bet ==> six-lines 75% sure its that fella

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• Moderators
im 100% sure its 6line, but maybe not 6line alone.

some inverts may have already hurt it.

i have seen and witness disappearing wrasse whacked my mystery 1/2 time bigger then it.

Bro,

You are right. Disappearing wrasse belong to the same Pseudocheilinus family as 6 line.

In general, wrasse from this family tend to be agressive once they "settled-in".

I had seen my old mystery "murdering" other fishes in my tank before although they seem to be the "kinder" species in this family. :pinch:

Tom

• SRC Member

Thanks for all your help guys. Mystery wrasse died this morning. a small chunk of flesh was missing from its back. I dont think the 6-line could have done that alone... I did see a big eunicid worm in my tank a few months back, could it be the worm or other inverts? right now getting the 6-line out is my main priority...

• SRC Member
actually just to add, when choosing fish, "biggest available" might not necessarily be the best. I'm not pro at choosing fish, but I suppose body shape, finnage, colour, behaviour are some other indications to look out for.

It's always good to walk away from a potential purchase if you're not comfortable with the condition of the fish. but then again... easy to say, hard to put into practice.

I've heard alot of about the aggressiveness of 6-line, might want to consider selling it if you are intending to get more peaceful fishes in future. Actually between 6 line n PT, lol you're better off going for an aggressive tank le :P

I second to this.

However, for me, I always for the smallest fish I could fine. I read from somewhere that the bigger the fish, the higher chance they do not adapt to home aquarium as much as smaller ones. Reason being, they are to used to the wide life.

Of course, choosing small fish will have the risk of being bully in your tank if you have bigger fishes. Thus normally I quarantine my fishes to ensure they feed well before going into my main tank. Also lots of smaller cave will provide shelter for smaller fishes where bigger fishes cannot get in.