removing fish without tearing tank apart.

moron_clown

• SRC Member

hey guys, i need help removing 2 fishes. a six-line wrasse and a purple tank. the 6-line is too agressive and the purple tank is too active. how can i remove them without tearing the tank apart? I tried the other night and almost destroyed 1/2 of my rockwork...

any other trap/method to recommend?

i'll give the fishes free to anyone who can trap/catch them w/o tearing down the tank.

thanks.

• SRC Member
hey guys, i need help removing 2 fishes. a six-line wrasse and a purple tank. the 6-line is too agressive and the purple tank is too active. how can i remove them without tearing the tank apart? I tried the other night and almost destroyed 1/2 of my rockwork...

any other trap/method to recommend?

i'll give the fishes free to anyone who can trap/catch them w/o tearing down the tank.

thanks.

i usually place a transparent plastic container (those with red cover use to store food during CNY) inside the tank with the fish fav food. once the fish goes in just cap it up with the red container and take it out. the intended fish might not go in initially. as monkey see monkey do, they will go in once they sense there is no danger in sight.

• Senior Reefer

method 1. betta box with mirror and food inside. feed daily from inside the betta box. wait till fish go in, get comfortable, close it and ta-da

method 2, stun method. locate ur fish when it sleeps at night. when tank lights are pitch dark, blast ur main lights on. the sudden light will stun your fish for a few minutes, rendering them extremely easy to catch. simply scoop them up. this method works 95% o the time if you are quick enuf to get the fish out before it regains consioucness and swim away. this method does not work for fishes sleeping in deep caves and crevices. a stick might be useful to prod the stunned fish out.

HTH. works all the time.

• SRC Member

Introduce betta box into tank and feed only into betta box. Hopefully they will get used to swimming in for food. Don't trap them the first time they swim in. Allow them to get used to it, then u can close it off QUICKLY.

Or if they sleep in open waters at night, just switch on your lights after ~30min of darkness n stun them. Can scoop them out easily. Can use chopsticks or something to nudge them into the open if they don't sleep too deep within ure rockwork. You only get a short window for this to work.

lol same as lemon... he teach me one :lol:

• SRC Member

Feeding thru the betta box is good. I've managed to catch most of my wrasses this way.

The betta box has a sliding trap door, just put a toothpick into one of the hole to hold up the door, tied a string to one end of the toothpick, just sit back and watch.

My kids love this!!

You may have to leave the box in the tank for a couple of days and feed thru it. I usually put my auto feeder there.

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• Senior Reefer
just wondering how much would a ready-made fish trap would cost...

and where does it sell???

anyone got experience on using it?

IMO, fish traps are not neccesary. a simple betta box usually does the trick really well. plus, it doubles as a holding area for new fishes where u can train them to feed. imo, betta boxes are really handy and useful and u will be suprised what u can dow ith it ;)

they dont cost much. got mine at iwarna.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro

If you stay in the west, then clementi blk 328 aunties shop or ployart will sell the betta box. Place a mirror inside and normally purple tang will fall into such trap. As for 6 line wrasse, never work for me using mirror method.

So far the fishes that fall into such trap in my tank are Purple tang, yellow tang, blue face angel, koran, flame hawk, sohal and convict tang. No luck with wrasse.