Protein Skimmer For A 30 Gallon Tank?

westham

Hi Bros, i am about to set up my 30Gallon tank, using cannister filter. Would appreciate advice on which brand and model of skimmer is suitable for my set up? Which shop should i go buy from and roughly how much will that cost? Thanks in advance for all valuable feedbacks!

• SRC Member

1) Deltec MCE300 or Deltec MCE600... :rolleyes:

2) Red Sea Prizm

3) Tunze 9005 DOC skimmer

4) Reef Octopus BH200

5) AquaC Remora

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

What is your budget for the skimmer? As you might already know, a skimmer is one of the core components of a reef tank and you should not skimp on it; so don't go for the really cheap ones like boyu. FYI, the weipro range of skimmers need to be paired up with high end pumps like aquabee to perform at their best.

Aquamarin and www.freshnmarine.com.sg stocks the high end brands like tzune, deltec and skimz. (~$600?)

If you are looking at a lower price range (~$150- 300), you can try brands such as reef octopus and dymax. Reborn stocks reef octopus and dymax is sold in C328.

There are various models of protein skimmers within each brand; you will want to consider an in-sump skimmer if you have a sump. If you don't, you can get a recirculating one or hang on back. You will also need to consider what you are keeping in your tank and if space (for a recirculating skimmer) is an issue. None of us can advise you if we don't know what is in your tank!

The people at the fish shop should also be able to tell you what skimmer would be the best for your tank.

What is your budget for the skimmer? As you might already know, a skimmer is one of the core components of a reef tank and you should not skimp on it; so don't go for the really cheap ones like boyu. FYI, the weipro range of skimmers need to be paired up with high end pumps like aquabee to perform at their best.

Aquamarin and www.freshnmarine.com.sg stocks the high end brands like tzune, deltec and skimz. (~$600?)

If you are looking at a lower price range (~$150- 300), you can try brands such as reef octopus and dymax. Reborn stocks reef octopus and dymax is sold in C328.

There are various models of protein skimmers within each brand; you will want to consider an in-sump skimmer if you have a sump. If you don't, you can get a recirculating one or hang on back. You will also need to consider what you are keeping in your tank and if space (for a recirculating skimmer) is an issue. None of us can advise you if we don't know what is in your tank!

The people at the fish shop should also be able to tell you what skimmer would be the best for your tank.

Hi, I would like to get some advice too.My tank is currently a JBJ 24 g nano cube. What is the good protein skimmer for this tank.I just bought a Baoyu skimmer (about $20) and am not sure how it work. I was told the water level shld

be anywhere above the pump but below the collection cup

Just a question-Should the foam flow out to the collection cup. If it flow out, won't it flood the collection cup and overflow

out of the cup?

If it doesn't flow into the cup,how does the waste get collected? Maybe it's a silly question.

• SRC Member
Hi, I would like to get some advice too.My tank is currently a JBJ 24 g nano cube. What is the good protein skimmer for this tank.I just bought a Baoyu skimmer (about $20) and am not sure how it work. I was told the water level shld

be anywhere above the pump but below the collection cup

Just a question-Should the foam flow out to the collection cup. If it flow out, won't it flood the collection cup and overflow

out of the cup?

If it doesn't flow into the cup,how does the waste get collected? Maybe it's a silly question.

Not too sure how your Baoyu (Boyu???) skimmer works. I did see a Boyu protein skimmer at C328 but was really not impressed by it. A $20 protein skimmer to be very frank will not be able to skim anything much from your tank.

Water level should be above the pump because the pump needs to pump water into the reaction chamber of the skimmer. The foam should flow into the collection cup. You will have to monitor the collection cup to make sure that the skim mate does not overflow into your tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Not too sure how your Baoyu (Boyu???) skimmer works. I did see a Boyu protein skimmer at C328 but was really not impressed by it. A $20 protein skimmer to be very frank will not be able to skim anything much from your tank.

Water level should be above the pump because the pump needs to pump water into the reaction chamber of the skimmer. The foam should flow into the collection cup. You will have to monitor the collection cup to make sure that the skim mate does not overflow into your tank.

Thanks Peter. Yup, its Boyu (typo error). What skimmer would you recommend for JBJ 24 nano tank with tank hood?

If the foam keep flowing into the cup all the time, it would definitely overflow into the tank in no time at all. Does it mean

that the foam only flow into the cup once a while and not most of the time so that you have time a least once a day to

empty yr cup?

• SRC Member
Thanks Peter. Yup, its Boyu (typo error). What skimmer would you recommend for JBJ 24 nano tank with tank hood?

If the foam keep flowing into the cup all the time, it would definitely overflow into the tank in no time at all. Does it mean

that the foam only flow into the cup once a while and not most of the time so that you have time a least once a day to

empty yr cup?

You're probably looking at the Tunze 9000 series DOC skimmers as these are in tank skimmers. I would actually prefer the HOB skimmers as they are usually much more efficient than the in tank skimmers. Also, most in tank skimmers need a very constant water level which you may not be able to achieve. Another thing to take note of is the filter that comes with your nano tank. Does it have sufficient space for you to put in at least bio rings and Pura Complete? If not, you might have to consider getting another filter too.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

You're probably looking at the Tunze 9000 series DOC skimmers as these are in tank skimmers. I would actually prefer the HOB skimmers as they are usually much more efficient than the in tank skimmers. Also, most in tank skimmers need a very constant water level which you may not be able to achieve. Another thing to take note of is the filter that comes with your nano tank. Does it have sufficient space for you to put in at least bio rings and Pura Complete? If not, you might have to consider getting another filter too.

Thks a lot. If the boyu does not work well, i probably look at those skimmer u recommend. Hopefully,

it is not too expensive.

Thks a lot. If the boyu does not work well, i probably look at those skimmer u recommend. Hopefully,

it is not too expensive.

ditch the boyu.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
U hve tried the boyu? What's the problem

with it?

It's too small to use in your tank and if you use it, you will find that it doesn't really skim much at all...Just consider that the Boyu skimmer costs only $20 while a Red Sea Prizm already costs around $200 while the really good ones like the Deltec MCE600 costs $550. You may actually be better off getting an airstone skimmer as it would probably generate more fine bubbles than the Boyu skimmer.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
U hve tried the boyu? What's the problem

with it?

forget about the boyu or resun SK05... get a tunze9002... myself and bro dino have been using it with good result...

you will need to mod the skimmer cup to close the cover though... =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

forget about the boyu or resun SK05... get a tunze9002... myself and bro dino have been using it with good result...

you will need to mod the skimmer cup to close the cover though... =]

Hi bro, may i ask roughly how much will this tunze9002 cost? Where is a good place to buy it? Thanks in advance!

• SRC Member
Hi bro, may i ask roughly how much will this tunze9002 cost? Where is a good place to buy it? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if LFS have them in stock, coz demand for it is low. you can always call to check. If they don't carry them, can always place an order with them. Should arrive within 1 month. Check out our sponsors :) Up to you which LFS you support.

price available online.

I'm not sure if LFS have them in stock, coz demand for it is low. you can always call to check. If they don't carry them, can always place an order with them. Should arrive within 1 month. Check out our sponsors :) Up to you which LFS you support.

price available online.

Read somewhere down this forum that a skimmer

is useless for 2 ft n smaller tank. A weekly

10% water change suffice. Now I m confuse . Shod

I really need a skimmer if I do a weekly

water change. If I use a skimmer, how long

can I delay the 10% water change?

• SRC Member
Read somewhere down this forum that a skimmer

is useless for 2 ft n smaller tank. A weekly

10% water change suffice. Now I m confuse . Shod

I really need a skimmer if I do a weekly

water change. If I use a skimmer, how long

can I delay the 10% water change?

I would personally do a 20-25% change weekly if I were running skimmerless, and still be quite worried about water quality, especially if my stocking levels were high. There is almost no room for error. Which means, cannot take holidays, every week have to remember to change water.

in a 10 gallon tank, There's only so many fishes I can accomodate, and 20% change is only 2 gallons every week. In a 30 gallon, you can keep abit more fishes, more corals. More water change = more hassle = more $$ spent on salt/water. It's really up to you. If I were you, I would get an oversized skimmer and get the peace of mind. And have the option of keeping my skimmer if I upgrade in future.

• SRC Member
I would personally do a 20-25% change weekly if I were running skimmerless, and still be quite worried about water quality, especially if my stocking levels were high. There is almost no room for error. Which means, cannot take holidays, every week have to remember to change water.

in a 10 gallon tank, There's only so many fishes I can accomodate, and 20% change is only 2 gallons every week. In a 30 gallon, you can keep abit more fishes, more corals. More water change = more hassle = more $$ spent on salt/water. It's really up to you. If I were you, I would get an oversized skimmer and get the peace of mind. And have the option of keeping my skimmer if I upgrade in future.

totally agree with bro comy...

btw.. i have run a reef tank using canister before.. and to be honest.. its quite a pain to do so... it is necessary for canister to be cleaned frequently...

just my 2 cents... u may like to go with a sump instead? =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

hi it cost about 200 plus... you can get it from RD..

http://reefdepot.com.sg/AddProduct.asp?ProdID=355

I called up RD previously enquiring about Tunze 9002 and Reefpack 200. They asked me to go to another LFS and order ... :shock: :shock: :blink:

Which is a blessing in disguise as AM had a 20% discount program at that time. Ordered from them and is waiting for shipment arrival next week. Janet (AM) might have ordered some extra 9002 too, you might want to try your luck. Of course try calling RD too. I was at their shop this week and they had no stock. Maybe their shipment coming in too. 9002 is a nice skimmer but you need to have a constant water level for optimal performance.

Whether you need skimmer or not depends on stocking level, frequency of WC, level of husbandry discipline.

To have a good one is better than not having one - imo.

Can also consider Deltec MCE 600.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
I called up RD previously enquiring about Tunze 9002 and Reefpack 200. They asked me to go to another LFS and order ... :shock: :shock: :blink:

Which is a blessing in disguise as AM had a 20% discount program at that time. Ordered from them and is waiting for shipment arrival next week. Janet (AM) might have ordered some extra 9002 too, you might want to try your luck. Of course try calling RD too. I was at their shop this week and they had no stock. Maybe their shipment coming in too. 9002 is a nice skimmer but you need to have a constant water level for optimal performance.

Whether you need skimmer or not depends on stocking level, frequency of WC, level of husbandry discipline.

To have a good one is better than not having one - imo.

Can also consider Deltec MCE 600.

The MCE600 is a really good skimmer.... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

The MCE600 is a really good skimmer.... :eyebrow:

you must really be pleased with yours :)

• SRC Member
you must really be pleased with yours :)

:eyebrow:

Skim mate really stinks like hell... B)

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: